• comicmike
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 22, 2009

Mego Corporation, EMCE and Mattel Retro-Action head sculpt comparisons

Mego and Mattel Retro-Action / EMCE prototype head sculpts:

Supergirl / Wonder Woman, Mattel Retro-Action

Nurse Chapel

Vina

When I look at the comparisons, I am curious whether the Facts of Life Jo headsculpt could be repainted for a Vina.
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

very interesting...I knew about wonder woman, but not the rest.

Comment

• pickermall
      • Aug 12, 2018

If I could get a couple Star Trek female costumes, I could do some custom figures...

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

I think new mego did a nice job on the Endora sculpt. I think the Bewitched series is better than the other female
        figures so far, Charlies Angels, Facts of Life, even a little better than the Uhura sculpt.

Comment

• callistofreak
          Who stole my stuff !!!
          • Jul 1, 2006

Star Trek uniforms

you can get the Big Bang girls in their Star Trek uniformss-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg
          Last edited by callistofreak; Nov 22, '18, 6:48 AM. Reason: add pic
          sigpicWho stole my stuff !!!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

this is terrific. I had no idea.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
              Career Member
              • Nov 22, 2011

time to start casting some heads. Pretty amazing what a paint job can do.
              "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

Anybody have a comparison between all three generations of Romulan?
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• comicmike
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 22, 2009

*Update, re: EMCE / DST Nurse Chapel, new thoughts:

There were 2 prototype heads for Nurse Chapel. I recall reading online that the first one looked a lot like Majel Barrett, but the Paramount / DST decision-makers wanted a more high-styled sculpt from EMCE; thus, a second prototype for Christine Chapel was created (if I am remembering the account correctly, I think that was the one photographed with the large curl of rooted hair on the forehead).

I do not have an actual Charmed "Phoebe Halliwell" in hand to compare the sculpts, so I scanned the internet for more pics of Phoebe. Moreover, my gut nagged me to look at some more of the other neo-Mego head sculpts from 2018. I think I may have been on to something with my original post, but with an error.

I have the new Charlie's Angels series, and I just opened one of the blister packs: If I am not mistaken, I am guessing that the Charlie's Angels "Sabrina Duncan" is the original Nurse Chapel; and Phoebe is the 2nd sculpt. I took turnaround angles of the Sabrina head, and chose the stills that compared closest to the original online resources. I cropped the faces to align the eye lines, noses, mouths and ears for my analysis. The following are the breakdowns that I would like to share with the community.
                  In my opinion, the sculpts are both valid, beautifully done, and hold their own uniqueness for what could have been the figure heads of our long lost Nurse.

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
                  ...Pretty amazing what a paint job can do.
                  I agree with Capt_Kirk. I'm always amazed at what paint details --and particularly hair colour-- can do to adapt a toy head to look like someone completely different.

PS: And as I was writing this, something occured to me in the moment: Hey, haven't I seen that narrower face sculpt somewhere else? ...Isn't that Jeannie?! Could it be?

Last edited by comicmike; Apr 16, '19, 1:39 AM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I love this thread and you have a good eye, but Jeannie and Phoebe are dissimilar.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

Amazing what the paint can do. Mattel's WW has an expression that chills your bones (how many bodies are buried in her back yard?), but the same basic head with a good paint job is gorgeous. And that point is really made here: Mego is killing it on the paint jobs for their female figures.

This is a really interesting observation, one that had completely escaped me. It also means that Mego already has the base head for some more female Trek figures, which bodes well for the possibility of their release.

Comment

• danadoll
                        Micronaut Nut!
                        • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I love this thread and you have a good eye, but Jeannie and Phoebe are dissimilar.
                        Yeah, Jeannie's nose is very different, as well as the face/cheek and lip shape.

Dana
                        "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎