Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe 2003 - 2018: Ranked.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Marvel Cinematic Universe 2003 - 2018: Ranked.

(Yes, I include 2003's "The Hulk" because "The Incredible Hulk" is a sequel of it even though it is not a Marvel film.)

I know I differ in opinion form others. Read my list. Tell me how you would ran them differently.

Skip it:
    21 Iron Man 3 - IM blows up his armor. That's all you need to know. Don't watch it.
    20 The Hulk - It was a great Trailer and took comic elements to the big screen that just don't work on the big screen. Don't watch it.

Good, not great (order 19-16 essential tie):
    19 Captain America Civil War. -This was good, but just had problems.
    18 Incredible Hulk
    17 Ant Man and the Wasp. - Very good. Not as good as the rest.
    16 Avengers Infinity War - this could move up the list if part 2 explins it well.
    reat (order 15-17 essential tie):
    15 Spider-man Homecoming
    14 Thor Dark World
    13 Doctor Strange
    12 Black Panther
    11 Ant man
    10 Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    9 Thor
    8 Thor Ragnarok
    7 Iron Man 2

Excellent - must see!
    6 Guardians of the Galaxy
    5 Avengers
    4 Captain America First Avenger
    3 Captain America Winter Soldier
    2 Avengers- Age of Ultron
    1 Iron Man - Great. Perhaps not as entertaining as a few of the others. But without it, none of the others exist.

TV tie ins:
    Ranking Netfilx seasons:

11 Luke Cage season 2 -Terrible, unwatchable
    10 Jessica Jones season 2 -Terrible
    9 Iron Fist season 2 -Slowwwwww
    8 Punisher -Not my cup of tea, if you like dark PTSD themed shoot 'em up shows, it is great.

7 Defenders -OK, fun to tie them together
    6 Iron Fist season 1 - I liked it
    5 Daredevil season 2 - very good
    4 Luke Cage season 1- excellent
    3 Jessica Jones season 1 - excellent, surprising
    2 Daredevil season 1 - excellent, ground breaking
    1 Daredevil season 3 - AWESOME!

While the Netflix series and ABC series don't reference each other, they are both aprt of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Agents of Shield was great to start then with full Divergent Series style garbage.
    SHIELD was fun when they started and when other characters like Deathlok and Ghost Rider (season 4) were included.

Agent Carter should have been great, but never was.

Inhumans did poorly in ratings, but I really liked it.

Cloak and Dagger online also is part of CMU. I haven't finished it, but it is pretty good.
    Last edited by Brue; Jan 24, '19, 10:41 AM.
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

I pretty much agree with all your listings except these are the ones I'd move around
    #21 Spiderman Homecoming terrible terrible movie. It should have been called Iron Spider Man
    #15 Avengers Age of Ultron
    #6 Spiderman (Toby McGuire) It really kicked things of for Marvel
    #2 captain America The First Avenger

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

Non MCU theatrically released Marvel films

2005 Elektra - 2 One of the worst movies ever.
      2004 Blade: Trinity - 3 This movie was terrible.
      2007 Spider-Man 3 - 4 How could they have taken such a nose dive after "2"?
      2007 Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 4 I love the Surfer, So I think that they did him poorly in this already poorly executed franchise left a bad taste.
      2004 The Punisher - 4 Nope. I liked the Lundgren one better. There is a video short from this version that is excellent.
      2011 Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - 4.5 not sure why this was made. It is watchable, but that's it.
      2009 X-Men Origins: Wolverine. - 5 How hey made this as bad as they did is amazing considering what they had to work with.
      2005 Fantastic Four - 5 Watchable. That's it. I actually like the unreleased low budget place holder by Corman better.
      2007 Ghost Rider - 5 I like this better than most people. It was good for what it was.
      2014 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 5 A drop from AS 1, and Electro
      2013 The Wolverine - 6 Far better than Origin, but still not a strong film.
      2014 Fantastic Four - 6 - better than the previous version. attempt to use newest comic material. still not good.
      2006 X-Men: The Last Stand - 6 Lots of characters in a cool universe, but so many miscues.
      2008 Punisher: War Zone - 6 I don't care for the character apart from Spidey or DD. Otherwise it was OK.
      1986 Howard the Duck - 6 So much to love about this movie that flopped at the box office. Watch it fr fun.
      2002 Blade II - 6 Good vampire, comic action ad story.
      2018 Deadpool 2 6.5 Rehashed, unnecessarily graphic. OK.
      2003 Daredevil - 7 OK I know I am not ranking this the way others do, but I don't understand the criticism. It was great.
      2016 X-Men: Apocalypse 7 - some things are great, other things drag this down
      2012 The Amazing Spider-Man 7 It was fine, but not memorable.
      2011 X-Men: First Class - 7 I liked it a lot. just didn't love it.

The Best of the Non MCU:
      1998 Blade - 7.5 I credit this movie with green lighting X-Men and heralding in the age of Comic based movies
      2016 Deadpool - 8 Tons of fun
      2017 Logan - a fitting end to an era. Well made.
      2000 X-Men - 8 Guaranteed us two decades of superhero films.
      2014 X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9 I loved the story and the way they merged the timelines.
      2002 Spider-Man - 9 Loved it
      2003 X2 - 9 Better than the first
      2004 Spider-Man 2 - 10 one of my favorite movies.

Not included:
      2018 Venom haven't seen it yet.
      2003 Hulk (Loosely tied in to MCU, in OP list)
      1989 The Punisher Direct-to-video in U.S.; limited theatrical release internationally
      1990 Captain America Direct-to-video in U.S.; limited theatrical release internationally
      1944 Captain America - Serial, not a feature film.
      And anything not released in theaters.

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Marvelmania
        #21 Spiderman Homecoming...It should have been called Iron Spider Man
        I agree.

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

I will live long enough to see the good name of Iron Man 3 properly avenged, mark my words!
          Last edited by toothaction; Nov 19, '18, 2:06 AM.
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by toothaction
            I will live long enough to see the good name of Iron Man 3 properly avenged, mark my words!
            best end credits ever.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
              best end credits ever.
              Good -But that goes to Howard the Ducks appearance at teh end of Guardians.

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Brue

1 Iron Man - Great. Perhaps not as entertaining as a few of the others. But without it, none of the others exist.
                I might not have ranked "Iron Man" number one, but I don't necessarily disagree. I certainly agree with your reasoning for why you have it number one, though. I remember thinking when I read that Jon Favreau was picked to be at the helm that it was going to be good. His decision to go with Robert Downey Jr. and fight to overcome the resistance to him being cast might be the single biggest difference between what came to be and what might never have come about.

It was a wonderful moment, where his life changed, my life changed, and Marvel Studios went from a sort of dark horse that nobody expected to be relevant, to starting a path that culminated with The Avengers and bigger and bigger movies.
                https://ew.com/movies/2018/03/15/iro...atic-universe/

Just one of the many, many reasons I think Favreau is awesome.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Sorry when I saw Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War ranked so low, I just knew this list wasn't for me. But hey, its your list Brue, so more power to you.

There's so much for everyone to like out there now, I don't even feel like ranking these things anymore. Not to rain on anyone's parade who does, but with such an embarrassment of riches, we all win.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    Sorry when I saw Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War ranked so low, I just knew this list wasn't for me. But hey, its your list Brue, so more power to you.

You re correct. And my placing of those 2 low is not typical. I think most people disagree with me there.

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

Watched some of Spirits of Vengeance when i caught it on TV this week. Some cool comic bookness. Still not a good movie. Ghost Rider turning his head like Nick Cage. A comic story line that demands a highs of 4 for a dollar comics. Fun to watch pieces while going through email and channel flipping between it, ST TNG, and two episodes Charmed .

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

Update to add Punsher 2 -MCU Netflix tie ins:

12 Luke Cage season 2 -Terrible, unwatchable
                        11 Jessica Jones season 2 -Terrible

not yet ranked: Punisher season 2 I know there is a fan base for this, but I am just not real into the psychotic murdering superhero types.
                        I have only finished 2 episodes, but don't know if I'll go on....
                        Update, I watched the next episode. Ill continue for now

9 Iron Fist season 2 -Slowwwwww
                        8 Punisher -Not my cup of tea, if you like dark PTSD themed shoot 'em up shows, it is great.

7 Defenders -OK, fun to tie them together
                        6 Iron Fist season 1 - I liked it
                        5 Daredevil season 2 - very good
                        4 Luke Cage season 1- excellent
                        3 Jessica Jones season 1 - excellent, surprising
                        2 Daredevil season 1 - excellent, ground breaking
                        1 Daredevil season 3 - AWESOME!
                        Last edited by Brue; Jan 24, '19, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

Two things.
                          1. Since yesterday I had a quick turnaround oh, and decided to give Punisher a third episode. Still on the way too many innocent people affected by punishers choices and more violence than I need, however I was at least into the episode. So I will continue for a while. And hold off on its ranking.

2. Since posting my original rankings oh, Infinity War has aired on Netflix. I did like it much better the second time. There are still some serious flaws, and I really can't stand movies that are deliberate part one's of a two-parter. And I don't like dream sequence stories. Which this is likely going to be some version of. I know it is not going to be a "dream", but somehow or another events get wiped out. Hi I am moving it up the list. Maybe it will get moved further out the list after part 2.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Your list is fine, I disagree on a few, but that’s just our different personal opinions, we are all different.

Having said that...there’s one movie on your list that baffles me...

Your number 2...Avengers- Age of Ultron??????????????????????

That’s one of my LEAST favorite...I thought it was highly disappointing.

Last edited by Hector; Jan 24, '19, 7:50 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

...although Avengers - Age of Ultron is a QUADRLLION times better than Iron Man 3, which is not only the worst Marvel movie EVER...but it’s one of the worst movies of all times...PERIOD.

So you NAILED that one...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎