Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

I’m wondering if there isn’t some sort of chemical out there, that you could clean the vinyl with to preserve the material?

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

^^ After I discovered some expensive Phicen pleather clothing doing the same exact thing on another figure, I did some searching and even found a few specific, enlightening threads on the 1/6 Warriors forum. Also found the same issues with the same materials being used in office furniture and human clothing.

Pretty much documented that these contemporary synthetics are failing from a two part problem; moisture/humidity will cause the liner glue to separate from the pleather, and UV exposure degrades the surface. These new micro-thin vinyls can look great, take embossing/debossing, come in a variety of colors and textures, but they are cheapO and most are breaking down in just a few years.

Even if you coat the surface with UV blocking conditioner, and keep your toys inside of environmental control, it's thought that the humidity degradation likely begins when the items are first packaged. Plastic and films trap moisture as the products cure to form and prevent air flow. You'll notice more products, including many toys, come with Silica Gel Desiccant Packets inside for this very reason. So once it starts it's not easy to, or perhaps possible, stop. And once you have surface crack/tear, the whole integrity of that piece is gone.

The notorious PNG is absolutely correct, Mego vinyl coated fabric = best stuff ever!
      Last edited by Confessional; Feb 4, '21, 9:42 AM. Reason: …stop making garbage!

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

And FTC keeps on selling it knowing it’s junk
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MEMEGO
          Career Member
          • Sep 6, 2007

agree,

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Confessional
            The notorious PNG
            I need a shirt displaying that for MegoMeet.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

I'm nearly ready to buy a few of the repro outfits that Dr. Mego is selling-Has anybody reading this thread bought any of those?

Being from the Dr., and knowing the other stuff he sells *isn't* trashy, I can only assume the Gorilla outfits are well made too... Still, I wouldn't mind reading others' opinions on them as far as fit and all...

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Yeah, they are well made.

Actually an official/matching extension of the EMCE line-up… if you buy the other Soldier Ape sets, you'll have a very cool trio of Enforcer variants.

They are best suited to T2-style bods (or other muscular body) as the clothing runs a little large.
                Last edited by Confessional; Feb 9, '21, 11:04 AM. Reason: …Doc takes care of us!

Comment

• Carey5831
                  • Nov 9, 2020

LOVE THESE! SO excited for the new apes confessional!

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Well, well well… a gathering of the Simians in 2021 it shall be!

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Yeah I feel like this is becoming more of a consumer alert type of situation. I made this Urko custom and ordered the outfit parts I needed. Sadly the pleather piece started failing the moment I took it out of the package. And that's with an abundance of care. I gently put the outfit on, but it didn't really matter how much care I gave it, because the outer layer just started peeling off like wet tissue. So I'm leaving it for now, but I'll have to find an upgrade shortly.

Comment

• apes3978
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 19, 2005

@MIB41,

Cool looking figure... It's too bad the outfit went to pot on you.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

My Sheriff of Nottingham is dressed in something similar & looks great. I hate to think of his suit decaying.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                            Maker & Whatnot
                            • Aug 8, 2012

^^ You should see the Phicen clothing I have… ended up peeling it all off, washing, and still picking the little bits in the all of the seams out. It still looks good as the underlying fabric is quality, but what a pain/disappointment. Now I can commiserate with those that have had Hot Toys rot.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 27, 2010

Once i bought some FTC ape suits and Ivanhoe heads to make cheap TOS Klingons and i have not checked out doc's site in too long a time I shall do that and make note of the ape suits.
                              Last edited by powersthatbe; Feb 20, '21, 6:41 PM.

Comment

• apes3978
                                Permanent Member
                                • Nov 19, 2005

I was too lazy to check if there was a thread regarding other non-Apes footwear, so I decided to post my question here and maybe one of you may know...

Anyway, I recall reading elsewhere that the Apes boots sold by CTVT have issues including splitting and/or just being a pain in the a** overall in terms of getting them to even go on the figures' feet.. That said, do those type of issues effect their other stuff?

For instance, do these boots http://www.classictvtoys.com/pairofblackboots-1-1.aspx have issues with splitting, being hard to put on, etc.?

Any and all information is appreciated... Thanks.

PS: Are the repro General knives CTVT sells made of soft plastic?
                                Last edited by apes3978; Mar 30, '21, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎