Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pickermall
    • Aug 12, 2018

FTC Quality?

Just a question.. I never bought any of their products... I would like to get a removable cowl Batman, since I had the Mego one as a kid... I know Mego can't do a reissue, and I see FTC has a few variants. What is their quality like on these figures? New Mego stuff is heavier than the vintage stuff... Is FTC more like vintage Mego quality?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

The China-made FTC bodies are similar in quality to vintage Mego IMO, but they are strung more tightly and sometime this affects the shoulders. FTC generally does a nice job on soft-goods, note the repro cape lacks a neck pleat. Their RC Bats cowl is much firmer but well-made. The reissue figure overall is slightly smaller than a vintage one due to being copied.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• pickermall
      • Aug 12, 2018

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      The China-made FTC bodies are similar in quality to vintage Mego IMO, but they are strung more tightly and sometime this affects the shoulders. FTC generally does a nice job on soft-goods, note the repro cape lacks a neck pleat. Their RC Bats cowl is much firmer but well-made. The reissue figure overall is slightly smaller than a vintage one due to being copied.
      Awesome, thanks!

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I would get the boxed version, but note the cape is made from a soft vinyl. Also note the cowl, while a identical replica is not rubber (its molded in plastic). But just like the vintage rubber cowls, you can line up the mask eye openings perfectly by inserting a small portion of cotton on either side of the cowl when you slide it on. That allows the cowl to hug the sides of his head so you can present it as intended. If you want the fabric cape you can order it separately for $3.50 on their sister site Classic TV Toys. I collect the majority of their hero lines and feel confident you'll find the quality similar to vintage Mego. Here are both links.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks, MIB, I forgot to note the cape variants.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• pickermall
            • Aug 12, 2018

That's what I was also curious about... the cape on Batman in the photos looks like vinyl... not nylon like the originals. Great heads up on the cowl as well. I saw Dr Mego sells a replacement cowl... I'm not rusing to get one, but this is good future reference stuff...

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by pickermall
              That's what I was also curious about... the cape on Batman in the photos looks like vinyl... not nylon like the originals. Great heads up on the cowl as well. I saw Dr Mego sells a replacement cowl... I'm not rusing to get one, but this is good future reference stuff...
              I like the Dr. Mego cowl better because it is softer. The FTC cowl is fine though, but it's feels more like a helmet, so I swapped mine out. I do like the vinyl cape though.

Overall, it's a nice figure right out the package.

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by pickermall
                My RC Batman as a kid had the vinyl cape. I don't think it was around very long, but some of the originals did have a vinyl cape. The FTC version looks pretty close in design, but it is a darker blue than the original.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Good point about the DM cowl.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎