Thread: FTC Quality?

FTC Quality?

Just a question.. I never bought any of their products... I would like to get a removable cowl Batman, since I had the Mego one as a kid... I know Mego can't do a reissue, and I see FTC has a few variants. What is their quality like on these figures? New Mego stuff is heavier than the vintage stuff... Is FTC more like vintage Mego quality?

Images
    Blog Entries
    The China-made FTC bodies are similar in quality to vintage Mego IMO, but they are strung more tightly and sometime this affects the shoulders. FTC generally does a nice job on soft-goods, note the repro cape lacks a neck pleat. Their RC Bats cowl is much firmer but well-made. The reissue figure overall is slightly smaller than a vintage one due to being copied.
    WANTED: Gray AJ Mustang horse; Dale Arden dagger; Grayson SI trousers; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    The China-made FTC bodies are similar in quality to vintage Mego IMO, but they are strung more tightly and sometime this affects the shoulders. FTC generally does a nice job on soft-goods, note the repro cape lacks a neck pleat. Their RC Bats cowl is much firmer but well-made. The reissue figure overall is slightly smaller than a vintage one due to being copied.
    Awesome, thanks!

Images
    I would get the boxed version, but note the cape is made from a soft vinyl. Also note the cowl, while a identical replica is not rubber (its molded in plastic). But just like the vintage rubber cowls, you can line up the mask eye openings perfectly by inserting a small portion of cotton on either side of the cowl when you slide it on. That allows the cowl to hug the sides of his head so you can present it as intended. If you want the fabric cape you can order it separately for $3.50 on their sister site Classic TV Toys. I collect the majority of their hero lines and feel confident you'll find the quality similar to vintage Mego. Here are both links.

http://figurestoycompany.com/dccomic...atman-1-1.aspx

http://www.classictvtoys.com/blackcape-1-1.aspx
    It's not how hard you hit, but how hard you can be hit and still move forward.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, MIB, I forgot to note the cape variants.
    WANTED: Gray AJ Mustang horse; Dale Arden dagger; Grayson SI trousers; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

That's what I was also curious about... the cape on Batman in the photos looks like vinyl... not nylon like the originals. Great heads up on the cowl as well. I saw Dr Mego sells a replacement cowl... I'm not rusing to get one, but this is good future reference stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by pickermall View Post
    That's what I was also curious about... the cape on Batman in the photos looks like vinyl... not nylon like the originals. Great heads up on the cowl as well. I saw Dr Mego sells a replacement cowl... I'm not rusing to get one, but this is good future reference stuff...
    I like the Dr. Mego cowl better because it is softer. The FTC cowl is fine though, but it's feels more like a helmet, so I swapped mine out. I do like the vinyl cape though.

Overall, it's a nice figure right out the package.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pickermall View Post
    My RC Batman as a kid had the vinyl cape. I don't think it was around very long, but some of the originals did have a vinyl cape. The FTC version looks pretty close in design, but it is a darker blue than the original.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Good point about the DM cowl.