X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MEGO Kid
    Museum Super Collector
    • Nov 5, 2018

Look who wants to get in on collectables

Can we hope, since Target can't seem to get it's act together?

"Walmart Muscles Into the $12 Billion Collectibles BusinessBy David Marino-NachisonOct. 3, 2018 It’s possible that some investors will skim past Wednesday morning’s news that Walmart (WMT) plans to get into pop-culture collectibles in a big way.But the announcement—not coincidentally timed, it might be noted, just before the Thursday opening of the New York Comic Con—might be worth a closer look. The announcement includes a new collectibles section in 3,500 stores starting later this month; a

It’s possible that some investors will skim past Wednesday morning’s news that Walmart (WMT) plans to get into pop-culture collectibles in a big way.

But the announcement—not coincidentally timed, it might be noted, just before the Thursday opening of the New York Comic Con—might be worth a closer look.

The announcement includes a new collectibles section in 3,500 stores starting later this month; a deal to be the exclusive in-store seller of boxes from subscription “stuff” company Loot Crate; and some available-nowhere-but-Walmart products. (Example: six colored variants of a Funko [FNKO] Thanos doll.)

How much might this matter to Walmart? It could be useful to look at the retailer GameStop (GME), which, in the most recent fiscal year, reported $636 million in collectibles revenue and $208 million in gross profit. (its fiscal year closes around the end of January.)

That’s not so much in Walmart terms. But in a September conference call, GameStop’s interim CEO Shane Kim called the business a $12 billion opportunity in North America alone and said his company sought to grab market share in “a very fragmented market.” Walmart clearly feels the same way.
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Yes! Yes! Yes!
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

It will be interesting to see what licensing Mego secures for Walmart.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

You never now, maby Wal-Mart would go with Figures Toy Company and the prices would go down to match Mego!!

I do know that Wal-Mart would be stupid to offer more of the Funko Pop figures, the ones around here can not get rid of them.
        Last edited by monitor_ep; Nov 13, '18, 11:23 PM.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

The Pop! Bubble has burst. Pop collectors don't want to admit it, but oversaturation killed the market, and the fad is dying.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• wise guy
            Career Member
            • Dec 29, 2014

Hopefully Wallmart will see that Target has a ton of wave 1 Peg warmers not selling and will
            get something else like Neca. Just say no to peg warmers!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Or having Walmart as an option just gives Mego another place to sell their wares.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• MEGO Kid
                Museum Super Collector
                • Nov 5, 2018

Apparently, there needs to be at least one other option. This from Target on the Gorn I bumbled into on line : We’ve got a quick update on the item below. Its new estimated delivery date is November 28, 2018.

We apologize for the potential delay. Rest assured you haven’t been charged yet for this item. (We’ll send you another email when it ships!)

View your order details page for the latest updates. Thanks for shopping Target.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

This sounds like good news to me!
                  sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

And why does anyone think Walmart will handle this any better should they carry 8 inch figures? They can't even get new release CD's on the shelves on release day.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      And why does anyone think Walmart will handle this any better should they carry 8 inch figures?
                      Thank you.

There will be problems no matter who handles this.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

I am sure there will be problems no matter who is selling, but for us to have more options on where to buy gives us more opportunity to get what we want, more opportunity for Mego to spread to the masses and sell more product and get more licenses. all good in my book.

Target may not be perfect, but they did help bring Mego back. they are slow to get the product on shelves and online but they do get it done eventually. Patience my friends

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

ummm....Don't they already have collectables? You know all of the stuff they have sitting in the front of the stores that no one buys?

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            And why does anyone think Walmart will handle this any better should they carry 8 inch figures?
                            I sure don't. Since Walmart is pretty much a low end grocery store these days. Toys just aren't in there DNA. I see them losing interest in keeping a collectables section stocked pretty fast. The ones in my area can't even keep up their small toy departments.
                            Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 15, '18, 12:52 AM.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
                              Permanent Member
                              • May 15, 2009

If you think Target is doing a poor job with Megos, lol, Walmart is over there like "hold my beer".

Trust me, Target is 1000X better than Walmart at this stuff. More availability is always good but don't look at Walmart as a savior, you're going to be severely disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎