X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.H.O.A.M.
    learning all the time
    • Sep 15, 2010

no love for Black Lightning??

I think it's the smartest of the cw shows and while it isn't perfect has come a looooooooong way from the initial pilot imo.
    yeah it's got an agenda (everyone/thing does, seems to be the way with the cw especially) but it's intense, well edited with cool music and arguably the best villain of all the shows (including netflix) in Tobias.
    btw I never even heard of BL until this show came on.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

The problem I have with it is that it actually doesn't play on TV here, it's netflix exclusive and I never think to watch it there. I'm barely clinging to the CW shows I do watch.

I liked what I saw but I just reached peak superhero show.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

I like BL. I dig around and catch free updated episodes online.
      Last edited by comicmike; Nov 10, '18, 2:03 PM.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

I like it OK...it tends to get a little too preachy for my tastes.

The other thing is, the title character is the least interesting person on the show.
        I also agree with Palitoy. I'm getting burned out at this point. Stopped watching Arrow, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow.

I'm just barely hanging on by a thread to the Flash. Can they just kill Iris already? LOL And all those stupid Wells clones with the terrible accents.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

I agree with the oversaturation. 5 CW DC shows is two much. 3 is the sweet spot. I won't watch Legends or BL unless they have a special crossover. After some get cancelled, they should have a DC presents show to have a new team up or storyline each episode. Has Doctor Fate showed up on Legends or Flash?

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Doesn't the beard give away his Secret ID?
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 14, 2012

I'm extremely grateful for all of the DC Comics shows on the CW, it's like one of my childhood dreams come true. But it is a lot of shows to watch every week. So this year I'm saving Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning on my DVR, and plan on watching them later after the seasons of Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl are over. And if it wasn't for the upcoming crossover, I would probably hold back on one of those shows, too, but I don't want to get to far behind and then have to get caught up for the crossover.

But Black Lightning is a good show. It's more mature, nice to have a hero show with older folks in the leads. And I actually appreciate the social/political aspects of the show, and it's focus on the African American experience in the U.S., it gives the series a unique voice among superhero shows. And that's always been part of Black Lightning since his comic books in the 1970s, so I don't feel like it's forcing some agenda on me, it's true to the character.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

I never watched this one. I agree there are too many shows to watch them all so since this was not part of Arrowverse I skipped it. but like Palitoy said, I am also barely holding on to the shows I am watching. Arrow and Flash are better this season, so far, but they are also getting tired. Legends is just too campy and silly

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I LOVE the fact that we have Comic Book tv shows that actually have them fighting bad guys. There is only so many cops/lawyers/first responder shows one can watch. I barely watch 30 minute comedies (just do not care for most of them) so that does not leave much else. I would love to see more sci-fi tv shows but that isn't going to happen on networks.

That being said I really like Black Lightning. I like the family aspect that makes it different than the other shows. I really want to see them crossover to the other shows soon, but at the same time I like how the show is building. I did go back an and purchase the TPB of Black Lightning so I can tweet about the behind the scenes. What I have noticed is they are following Milestones bangbabbies storyline so it would fun if Static shows up.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

I loved the idea. I gave it 3 episodes. As stated above - grateful for the shows we have gotten. But we are over saturated. And this one was not nearly as good as other shows.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I kind of want to get into it, but I feel like if I want gritty I'll just go to Netflix and Daredevil. That may not be fair to this show, but there's only so many hours in the day, and we now have so many comic-based shows its easy to just ignore a huge chunk of them.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

I cannot get over the fact that so many people are complaining about the fact that we are getting comic book tv shows where they actually fight bad guys now. As a HUGE fan of comic books in the media, I would rather watch those than 30 minute sitcoms. I do watch Sci-Fi shows and First Responders shows but in general I love watching comic book shows. I grew up watching them so to see something like the Arrowverse where they connect with other shows makes me extremely happy. I remember watch Batman 66 and then the first boom to the comic books in the media happened with Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk, Shazam/Isis and Spider-Man but was upset that they did not have villains. Then we got Superboy who sorta fought badguys, then Lois & Clark The Adventures of Superman where again we sorta got badyguys were he could fight somebody but not all the time. Smallville was good but it drove me crazy that they did not give him a costume to start with.

Finally we get the Arrowverse where Green Arrow is fighting badguys and teaming up with other heroes. Yeah some the plots are not the best in the world, but then some of the comic books are just as bad. I am not looking forward to the day where we do not have comic books in the media and go back to all cops show. Do not get me wrong I watch what on Thursday and Friday the "First Responders" shows; Firefighters, cops, military and medical shows and I like most of them. But lets face it, I am a comic book nerd so I will watch whatever version I can get.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^I honestly don't have much time to get deeply involved with the number of TV shows aimed right at me. The nature of action dramas nowadays is that the stories are serialized, so if you miss more than one episode, it's hard to catch up. Yes, you can DVR them or catch them on a streaming service and binge them later, but you can't "drop in" like you could back in the days of The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, and the original Flash.

Most of the shows are an investment that I sadly don't have time to give, with family, work, and creative projects always vying for more of my time.

I'm a huge comic nerd too (take one look at my house and you'll never doubt that) but I just can't watch it all.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

^ agreed. there is only so much time in the day and I do need to sleep too

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                              Permanent Member
                              • Sep 15, 2014

If Black Lightning bought back a version of Hamlin Rule I'd watch that.

C'mon the plot writes itself.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎