• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riderfan
    Megos are cool
    • Feb 14, 2012

Action Stallion-cutting the cord

Hi

Not sure if the is the right place to post this, but I'll ask anyways.

I recently acquired a near mint, though non operating (imagine that), Action Stallion. However I don't care for how it displays with the cord/controller, and I'm considering cutting it off.

I didn't buy this as an investment, and in all likelihood it will be among a lot of other stuff someone's going to have to deal with after I die lol.

I'm just curious as to what other's opinions are on this. Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in.

K
    I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I like collecting the Mego horses, and I'll be honest, I've considered just as you suggest. I haven't done so, and I doubt ever would with a really nice one, or a boxed one. Also, they can be fixed.

But I have some extras that aren't as nice, lacking tack--one is with my wagon set. On a lesser horse, I'd consider snipping off the controller.

Also, ultimately they are your toys. I believe in opening things, enjoying them, and that includes customizing and modifying them as you desire. Besides, the brown POTA stallion is not scarce.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

As PNGwynne said, ultimately, they're your toys to do with as you please...

That said, *if* you'd get a horse with the remote and it works, I wouldn't snip it, but that's just me... I agree that the cord & controller doesn't look all that great on a displayed piece, but a working example of a 43 year old horse is something to consider keeping intact... (Again, IMO.)

I have a couple of them with the controller/cord intact, and the last time I tested them, they did work so they were left alone (but that doesn't mean they haven't succumbed to age since then). Most I have are from eBay and they were all snipped anyway, so that wasn't an issue with them...

I'd never clip the controller/cord off one of the rare horses though, even if they weren't in working condition ("rare" horses being the black A/J Mustang, Dinahmite's "Golden Pal", etc...)

Comment

• glimpy
        Loco Chango
        • Feb 5, 2012

I would personally leave it alone
        sigpic

Comment

• Riderfan
          Megos are cool
          • Feb 14, 2012

Thanks guys for the replies and opinions.

As of this writing the cord is still attached & the horse is displayed such a way that the controller isn't really noticeable so I doubt I'll remove it.

But if I acquire a 2nd one, well, one is losing the cord.

K
          I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• cockyhoskins
            Career Member
            • Jan 13, 2009

I'd either take a crack at repairing it...

Action figure restoration, vintage toy repairs and reviews at Toy Tinker Tim. Kenner, Hasbro, Mattel, Mego, Takara.

or I'd take it apart and remove the solder and simply remove the wire. That way it can be easily resoldered if you chose to.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎