Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CKMBDavis
    • Nov 21, 2013

Paint removal from Mego heads?

How is the best way to remove paint from a Mego head? I am needing to remove some paint from a figure's face for an upcoming custom I'm working on, specifically the figure's eyebrows. I've customized wrestling figures in the past and have removed paint apps by using acetone. It worked fine, however those figures were hard plastic that could be wiped off easily. Can I use the same process with Mego heads? They are a much softer material, and I don't want to risk smearing the paint, or even worse, having the acetone eat away at the plastic. Any suggestions? And thanks to all in advance.
    Last edited by CKMBDavis; Nov 8, '18, 7:24 PM.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

The vinyl used for Mego heads is pretty durable and resistant to solvents. You can use safely use acetone. I've used cotton swabs dipped in an acetone/MEK blend to strip and touch up heads for years.

One caveat: If you overwork the surface, it can buff it and reduce a matte or satin molded finish.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• CKMBDavis
      • Nov 21, 2013

Thanks PNGwynne. That's what I have done in the past with the wrestling figures (q-tips or cotton swabs dipped in acetone). And yeah, I've found out the hard way that it can take the sheen right off. SO, it sounds like sticking with the acetone is the way to go. Thanks!

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Brake Fluid
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CKMBDavis
          • Nov 21, 2013

This was actually a pretty fascinating video. Never would've thought to use brake fluid!

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by CKMBDavis
            This was actually a pretty fascinating video. Never would've thought to use brake fluid!
            same here. I could see brake cleaner working.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Brake fluid, hmmm. Works awesome, it looks like.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎