Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada


Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Pin Pin Batman

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 15, 2001
    Location
    My Pants
    Posts
    54,048
    Blog Entries
    8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 22, 2009
    Location
    TORONTO
    Posts
    1,561
    Super great: Man, I had that one when I was a kid. Always loved the French writing. I'm pretty sure the company name is a derivative of the nickname of "lapin" (rabbit in French)= "pin" (also pronounced like 'bread' in French, 'pain'; thus "pin pin". Always takes me back to happy childhood memories...I could always find one easily at Sears (retail or Christmas catalogue), K-Mart or Zellers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 15, 2014
    Posts
    1,770
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by comicmike View Post
    Super great: Man, I had that one when I was a kid. Always loved the French writing. I'm pretty sure the company name is a derivative of the nickname of "lapin" (rabbit in French)= "pin" (also pronounced like 'bread' in French, 'pain'; thus "pin pin". Always takes me back to happy childhood memories...I could always find one easily at Sears (retail or Christmas catalogue), K-Mart or Zellers.
    Interesting. So it's pronounced more like pain-pain?

    I have a US carded Batman but I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 17, 2015
    Posts
    216
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Marion View Post
    Interesting. So it's pronounced more like pain-pain?

    I have a US carded Batman but I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
    The french Pin Pin and pain words are spelled differently, but kinda sound the same (to americans). Pon Pon (pawn pawn).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 26, 2008
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    372
    Very nice and hard to find French variant... even if Italian Harbert MOC are definitely rarer!

    I have several moc Pin Pin !
    Batman PinPin Bubble Card c2-DC-79: 2nd issue/5th version (DC) "79" card
    Hulk PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-78: 2nd issue/4th version (Marvel) "78" card
    Human Torch PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card
    Invisible Girl PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card
    Mr. Fantastic PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card
    Robin PinPin Bubble Card c2-DC-77b: 2nd issue/ 3rd version (DC) "77b" card
    Spider-Man PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-78: 2nd issue/4th version (Marvel) "78" card
    Spider-Man PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card
    Superman PinPin Bubble Card c2-DC-79: 2nd issue/5th version (DC) "79" card
    Thing PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card

    Looking for these PIN PIN :
    BatGirl PinPin Bubble Card
    Joker PinPin Bubble Card
    Penguin PinPin Bubble Card
    SuperGirl PinPin Bubble Card Peace Belt Variation

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 15, 2014
    Posts
    1,770
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXPHOENIX View Post
    Very nice and hard to find French variant... even if Italian Harbert MOC are definitely rarer!

    I have several moc Pin Pin !
    Batman PinPin Bubble Card c2-DC-79: 2nd issue/5th version (DC) "79" card
    Hulk PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-78: 2nd issue/4th version (Marvel) "78" card
    Human Torch PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card
    Invisible Girl PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card
    Mr. Fantastic PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card
    Robin PinPin Bubble Card c2-DC-77b: 2nd issue/ 3rd version (DC) "77b" card
    Spider-Man PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-78: 2nd issue/4th version (Marvel) "78" card
    Spider-Man PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card
    Superman PinPin Bubble Card c2-DC-79: 2nd issue/5th version (DC) "79" card
    Thing PinPin Bubble Card c2-MV-79: 2nd issue/5th version (Marvel) "79" card

    Looking for these PIN PIN :
    BatGirl PinPin Bubble Card
    Joker PinPin Bubble Card
    Penguin PinPin Bubble Card
    SuperGirl PinPin Bubble Card Peace Belt Variation
    How do you pronounce it
    Pin, Pon , or Pain?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 22, 2009
    Location
    TORONTO
    Posts
    1,561
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3keXWNs2XHM
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h3934O2oxec

    "Pin" in French is pretty much the same pronounciation in both of these examples. I used the 2 spellings to explain the same sound. The company name would be 'pin' ( in French, little is "petit", or "tit" for a cuter, shorter nickname for little); as "Pin Pin" would translate as "rabbit rabbit" or "bunny bunny". This is my best guess to explain the word pronounciation alongside the French logo.

  8. #8
    I had been taught that it would sound more like pan. Except for the last part where the tongue never quite touches the roof of the mouth. Like the popular dish Coq au Vin (chicken with wine) sounds like Cocoa Van.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 17, 2015
    Posts
    216
    Images
    4
    I don't pull these pronunciations out of my butt. I use Google Translate.

    They have audio files so you can hear the pronunciation.

    From experience I know that their Japanese words use the correct sounds but don't bother clarifying accents, which are also extemely important.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 5, 2008
    Location
    near Akron
    Posts
    12,638
    Images
    1
    Bien alors.
    WANTED: Gray AJ Mustang horse; Dale Arden dagger; Grayson SI trousers; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •