X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mr. Action

I had so many Mr. Action outfits for my GI Joes and I had no idea. I assume that I got most of those sets before I could read.

We have a PodCast! It's fun, please listen.

Check out our Instagram for more stuff like this blog.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • KOMonger
    Banned
    • Feb 17, 2015

Awesome ad! Including the figure with these Action Sets and/or vehicles is interesting to see. This is the first time I've seen LJN bundle Mr Action with one of their fashion dolls, too.

I own a lot of these packaged individually, but I do have a Para-Copter Set with Mr. Action. The copter is actually one of those cardboard fold-up sets like the hide-out shown in the picture.

Six points of articulation is "life-like". How would they describe their "double-action" figures to come later, "Beyond reality"?

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

I like the amphicat and the helicopter. The mobile training tower seems underwhelming from a training standpoint. I don't think that structure could be driven safely at more than 3 miles an hour or on anything more rugged than a concrete parking lot. And it's value as a training tool seems limited to just falling. Not high enough to open a chute and not low enough to escape unscathed.

Comment

• KOMonger
        Banned
        • Feb 17, 2015

LJN's training tower is hilarious in the KO kind of way to answer GI Joe's own AT Training Tower.
        I've resisted adding it to my collection based solely on it's size.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

I think the inclusion of the fashion doll explains why he's called Mr. Action. First name Gettinsome.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

WTH is that? He's looks like an ex-pro wrestler turned bounty hunter.

That is most beat-*** face I've seen since the Starsky & Hutch goon.

What was the pitch? Danger junkie with a death wish?

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Mr Action was taken from a Hong Kong company called BARTER and it had different names around the world.

He's a cheap GI Joe knock off and definitely caused Hasbro to create The Defender line.

In Canada, Grand Toys distributed the brand and as in the US, marketed it as sort of Big Jim/GI Joe thing. It's interesting to see Consumers Distributing package him with A Petite (LJN's Barbie) clone here.

In Mexico, some Mr. Action vehicles ended up in Lili Ledy's GI joe line (!)
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MysteryWho
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 16, 2008

Lol, yep he looks that weird uncle you only see on the holidays. Cool line though, great accessories.
                Originally posted by hedrap
                WTH is that? He's looks like an ex-pro wrestler turned bounty hunter.

That is most beat-*** face I've seen since the Starsky & Hutch goon.

What was the pitch? Danger junkie with a death wish?

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

That ad is a real blast from the past for me. I remember my mom taking to Consumers to pick up the clothing set "E" for two bucks but it was out of stock, so they offered me set "F" instead for the same price, so I grabbed it (that way I got an extra Mr. Action figure to go with the non-bearded version I already had, in addition to the crapload of accessories). This is the exact catalogue page that I was ordering this stuff from.

Was this from the catalogue you picked up at the show on Saturday? I should have taken a look through it.
                  Last edited by cjefferys; Nov 7, '18, 6:13 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I like the vehicles/playsets--they look like they'd work well with Megos.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 7, '18, 7:05 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 29, 2018

Welcome to the Mobile Training Tower located today in the Steak and Ale parking lot off of Interstate 30 here in lovely Greenville, Texas. The training here will be short but intense, I guarantee. First objective is drive the tower 30 feet with dying and get me a snowcone. Drive back. Then you will ascend this tower minus safety lines or bungee cords or helmet. No, you don't need a parachute. It wouldn't have time to open anyway. Then the floor panel will activate and you will be dropped 30 feet. You might give a surprised cry of alarm. This is natural. Upon landing 1.8 seconds later, your injuries will be assessed by the Lovely Nurse who is going camping with me later. I expect you will learn the most important lesson of all that 30 feet is a terrible height to fall. Not high enough to kill you usually, not low enough you can tuck and roll. Now, Bobby, your mother seems to be looking at the pickled okra table...I think it's your turn.

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 27, 2009

I definitely had the cowboy outfit for my Joe. It was one of my favorite outfits as it let Joe be "Casual" when he wasn't out on a mission. That oraange and Blue outfit shows up a lot on ebay too, and if memory serves, the blue color will run onto the orage if it gets the slightest bit wet.

Comment

• Neutron X
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 22, 2007

Cool pic! I have never come across the camping set before. Is it a Canada exclusive? The tent and backpack no luck. I think the training tower is very kid friendly. It's got wheels? Awesome dude!!! Let's play. Logic had no place in my 7 year old imagunation.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 12, 2016

That yellow helicopter is starting to remind me of the one Dean Martin carries in his trunk in one of the old Matt Helm movies...
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎