Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peg warmer then, beloved figure now?

Quote Originally Posted by rykerw1701 View Post
    Going way back, the GI Joe nurse from the 1960's was a complete dud, and now it goes for crazy money. Also the GI Joe Bulletman was mostly a flop, and now goes for a pile of cash.
    I wanted Bulletman soooooo badly...never did get him.

Images
    I think the "future value" perspective is the collector's addiction talking. Hell, some of the most pedestrian items I grew up with, from shampoo containers to phones, are worth money now. So the chances of something becoming a valued antique one day is a given, especially with figure lines. The real question is will you be alive to see it happen? Start boxing up those Mego Alice figures now. They might send your grandchildren to college. Or is it your grandchildren's children? Eh, somebody will benefit eventually. Hopefully that flocking will last too!
    It's not how hard you hit, but how hard you can be hit and still move forward.

Images
    ^What MIB says. That's exactly right.

Bulletman is a very early memory for me. A great design in the wrong scale, released at the wrong time. The packaging was a disaster, so you could never find one that wasn't opened and wrecked. Broken joints should have been part of the marketing. The helmets cracked like eggs. A precursor to the Superjoe implosion nightmare.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MIB41 View Post
    Start boxing up those Mego Alice figures now. They might send your grandchildren to college. Or is it your grandchildren's children? Eh, somebody will benefit eventually. Hopefully that flocking will last too!
    In the short-term I completely disagree with this. After going to Targets Jimi usually is missing and trek, monsters seem to sell ok but alot of the Brady bunch, AJ, Angels, etc look like they are going to be there for a while. I hope mego learns what buyers want and doesn't get the plug pulled too quickly. I doubt the Target suits are thinking mego will a make great Elvis or Green Hornet figure when all they know is Charmed dolls didn't sell.

No disrespect to anyone else here. But I think if you're collecting because "it's rare" or "it might be worth something someday" or "it's a numbered limited edition and says it's collectible, therefore it's a collectible," then you're collecting something for the wrong reason. As Brian says in his Mint Off Card videos, "buy what you like." Some people are completionists. Some people need everything to be mint in pristine packaging. Some people just want certain characters. And all of that is good and fine. But I think you should collect something out of love and because it brings you happiness. If you're buying just to box things up in hopes of the value somehow skyrocketing, especially in your own lifetime, then I personally wonder if you actually enjoy the thing that you collect. We'll all be dead one day, and you can't take it with you.

Images
    I don't know if they qualify as big buck earners, but I have really grown to love Tomland figures. I remember seeing them on the walls of toy stores and thinking they deserve their lonely fate. They were the disappointing gifts Grandma used to get me when Mom told her that I loved those superhero dolls. Grandma (bless her) thought she could get me what I wanted but for less. I remember feeling a little cheated when that wrapped package turned out to NOT be a Mego.

That said, I did immediately love the Fly and Cyclops despite how "cheap" I thought they were.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.