Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything that can be done about the rampant scalping on eBay?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Psykodelik Vampyre
    Museum Patron
    • Jan 22, 2018

Is there anything that can be done about the rampant scalping on eBay?

Just putting this out there, as it's ridiculous the amount of not finding the Megos online except on eBay!

And I refuse to support that.

Any ideas?
    https://www.reverbnation.com/psykodelikvampyres
  • toothaction
    Career Member
    • Jul 15, 2017

This? Shrug.

That and mass abstinence.
    >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I can't think of any action we can take, I wish it weren't the way we find out what figures are coming out.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Eric
        Museum Patron
        • Jan 11, 2008

If Target doesn't have the figures on hand, why can't we buy a certificate from them and then receive the figures when they're available? (Yeah, I've been going through the vintage toy store photos on Plaid Stallions :-) )

earlybird.jpg

Comment

• Ivaniski
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 24, 2007

Wish we had a Mego store, to buy just exclusive Mego products online...Sorry to say but Target is the worse.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

If Target could limit the number of figures you could buy at once, that may help. But it seems the case ratios per figure are pretty low, especially for the in-demand figures. I know Target did limit the number of Star Wars figures you could buy back in the 90s action figure speculation craze heyday, and maybe other lines as well over the years.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Mary Canary
              Career Member
              • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              If Target could limit the number of figures you could buy at once, that may help. But it seems the case ratios per figure are pretty low, especially for the in-demand figures. I know Target did limit the number of Star Wars figures you could buy back in the 90s action figure speculation craze heyday, and maybe other lines as well over the years.

Chris
              The issue with this is when the legit customer finally does find them, he or she is limited to how many he or she can purchase too.
              And I know we all have at least 5 or 6 we want, right?
              Unless they'd limit it to 1 of each figure... so you can get 6 different ones, just not 6 Werewolves or Gorns all at once.

I appreciate the effort some of the Ambassadors were making to help others get figures, buying multiples and offering them for sale at cost or trade.
              But even if you don't have a hookup in the group and you're seeing people post 3 and 4 of the same popular figures, that too becomes frustrating.
              I just think Target just needs to get their ducks in a row and get the figures online and provide significant quantity through the website that they don't sell out in under 5 minutes.
              So far we haven't even had an opportunity to purchase them.
              If it means limiting the number of each figure you can purchase, that's fine with me.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I meant per figure. I didn't explain myself very well. Multiple copies of the same figure often = scalper.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• MEGO Kid
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Nov 5, 2018

Obviously, MEGO needs to make more of certain figures

Comment

• Mary Canary
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by MEGO Kid
                    Obviously, MEGO needs to make more of certain figures
                    I think they know this, and hopefully future waves will concentrate on the properties that have been more popular.
                    It's the good and the bad. Without Target, they wouldn't be back in a retail store. Also because Target had some say in the figures they wanted, we have lots of Alice and Charmed hanging around.

Comment

• MEGO Kid
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Nov 5, 2018

I don't know what their financial situation is like, but it'd be nice if they could secure the rights to some more popular stuff that the kids like these days. Stranger Things comes to mind. They could do a line of Game of Thrones for us older kids. But we can't buy the stuff if we don't see it in stores :/

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Can Target do anything to stop scalpers? No. They've tried before and it didn't turn out all that great. Like the time they tried stopping them by punching holes in the cards of figures. That didn't go over too well with collectors that have to have mint cards.

Comment

• mego
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 16, 2012

capitalism.
                          This is a supply and demand issue. It does suck, but thats just how it works.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

The problem with purchasing limits is Target.com seems to only be getting in a few figures at a time. So even if you limited how many people could buy, they'd still disappear fast.

It's easy to blame Target, but the truth is the biggest issue is that they made a bunch of unpopular characters and a couple of popular ones. They should have made much more limited quantities of certain characters and made double maybe even triple the amount of say, the monster figures. There may have still be scalpers on the more limited figures, but since they aren't that popular it would have corrected the issue overall.

Comment

• smonte00
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 19, 2005

This my not be a popular thing to say, but I wonder how many museum members are buying these up and selling them on eBay and using this site for intel on where the figures are turning up. Just sayin’. I hope I’m wrong, because I personally have given up plenty of repeats since wave 1 (I could’ve easily had at least a half dozen of the Draculas, Franks, Gorns, etc.) in the hopes that another museum member can take advantage and find them in the stores I frequent. Sorry, just venting a little here, ‘cause something in this system is definitely broken.

-Steve

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎