X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Top Five License we want Mego to do next

Since Mego’s triumphant return in 2018, we at the MegoMuseum have compiled a list of the Top Five Licenses that we’d like to see Mego do next and to keep it interesting, we didn’t consider Marvel Comics or Star Wars. Agree or disagree with our list? It’s all good, let us know your thoughts in…

More...
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I'd be all in for Thundarr and Battle of the Planets, but I'd probably pass on the others (though I do like GAH). Those two would probably make my top ten and likely Thundarr would be top 5. My most wanted (non-Marvel/Star Wars to keep with the video though neither would be top 5 for me) is Tolkien's Middle Earth (LOTR/Hobbit not necessarily the film versions though). Flash Gordon (or King Features to add Phantom, Mandrake, Prince Valiant et. al) would be my second most wanted. Dune would be #3 (especially with the new movies in the works). Thundarr would slot into fourth, and fifth would be up for grabs among 4-5 different properties.

That said, all 5 in the video are solid choices based on the current Mego customer base.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; Nov 4, '18, 10:55 PM.
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Land of the Lost and Thundarr, great. "V" and Battle of the Planets, sound fun. I think Greatest American Hero's time has passed.

I'd love to see ElectraWoman and DynaGirl, Dark Shadows, something Western like Gunsmoke or Bonanza, and The Addams Family in two-packs.

MRP, I think King Features characters would be terrific, as well as Segar's Popeye.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mary Canary
        Career Member
        • Jun 21, 2017

I don't really have a wishlist, other than possibly Dark Shadows. I like being surprised by what they're doing. Having said that, Thundarr and V are my favorites from your list and would be welcome additions. Can they do Thundarr? I thought that series had some problematic or complicated issue with rights?

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I agree with Thundarr but not in 8 inch. I just can't see Ookla really working in a fur suit. 3 3/4 inch scale like Mego originally planned.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 22, 2011

1. Planet of the Apes
            2. Gunsmoke
            3. Thundarr
            4. V
            5. Magnum P.I.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

I agree with 3 out of the 5. The two that I question are V and GAH. I think the other three suggested licenses would do quite well.

I only question “V” because I can recall the one “V” figure/doll, that was produced in the 80s, sitting on the shelf and passing it by for several years. Maybe the series is much more popular, now, than I realize. As I recall, it didn’t do well on NBC years ago. All that said, I could be wrong and it may do very well for Mego.

While I like Greatest American Hero, I have doubts that it would do well today, in the general action figure collector market. But, maybe there are enough Mego collectors out there who would buy this line to make it worth it for a Mego.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• VulcansFury
                Museum Patron
                • Mar 6, 2014

1. Land Of The Lost - HECK YEAH!
                2. V - HECK YEAH!
                3. Planet Of The Apes (Classic) - I need them, I need more of them, I need cheap custom fodder, and I NEED more NEW character selections (Julius, etc)

4. Battlestar Galactica (Classic) - BBP didn't fill out the roster enough, and I'd love to buy more plus re-buy the originals for customs.
                5. The A-Team - I pity the fool who doesn't love it when a plan comes together.

Would happily buy Thundarr The Barbarian, just picked up the cartoon series dvd and really enjoy it more now as an adult (believe it or not). Don't care s much for Greatest American Hero but would buy it

Can't limit to just 5 properties though.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Between EMCE and Neca Apes have proven to be duds. Sales must not have been there or the lines would have continued.
                  I think V and GAH are relics that have been passed by.

Battle of the Planets would be a winner, cult following, bright superhero looking figures.
                  Thundarr would work and be an easy 4 figure line with the three heroes and a main villain.
                  Land of the Lost may work, but it'd be tough without Dinosaurs.
                  Last edited by thunderbolt; Nov 5, '18, 4:46 AM.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Battle of the Planets and GAH are great choices if I were picking from that list. Of course most anything on that list IS a relic so its hard to know what translates for today if that were part of the equation. Mego figures tend to speak to yesterday's customers.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

I still want POTA...
                      sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

I think none of those would attract a more general (Target) audience, which is a must, I think.

Of the five, only V would have me buying them.

Personally, I'd love Mad Max figures. Plenty characters to choose from, the franchise is still alive on the big screen, and these weirdo bikers might also catch the eye of the casual Target shopper.
                        Classic BSG would be nice, since BBP basically dropped the ball with few figures and dodgy quality.
                        Aliens and Colonial Marines would attract kids as well, including this one.

And Hellraiser is a favorite, though I doubt Target would select it.
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• knight errant00
                          8 Inch Action Figure
                          • Nov 15, 2005

For me? Thundarr's a great choice, as is Battle of the Planets. Ultraman would also hit the vibe of things I'd have wanted as a kid. I'd buy those lines, and I think others might.

Lines I think they could sell . . . based on their choices so far, I could see Magnum PI, Diff'rent Strokes, Family Matters, Miami Vice, or Knight Rider. The Munsters and The Addams Family could drum up some fan support (especially nearer Halloween). I think Hogan's Heroes could make an interesting line, and Sgt. Schultz would find a place on my desk.

Ones I'd love to see that I don't think anyone would buy? Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still. I'd also love a line of movie serial heroes -- Johnny Weismuller Tarzan, Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon, Tom Tyler Captain Marvel, Tristram Coffin Rocket Man . . . I'd also scoop up a line of Doc Savage, The Shadow, and The Avenger figures.
                          Last edited by knight errant00; Nov 5, '18, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• toothaction
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by knight errant00
                            Ultraman would also hit the vibe of things I'd have wanted as a kid.
                            And how! Unrealistic to expect an Ultraman line, sadly, but at least now with the US rights finally going back to Tsuburaya it is a possibility once again.

Alongside Ultraman toys, which I pined for daily yet had no idea that they actually existed just a few thousand miles away, my other biggest boyhood want was Land of the Lost dollies. Consider that a vote for the Museum's official choice, heh. Battle of the Planets was way up there for me, too, but I did at least manage to land a model kit featuring their ship and all of their signature solo vehicles when I was a tot.

Anything else I might add to the list has either already been attempted - POTA, Doctor Who, OG BSG, etc - or is as unrealistic as, if not more so, than expecting Ultraman to fly into the toy aisles of America. Ah well.
                            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

This was a fun video, and I can see all of these being at Target. How on the radar are Bewitched, Facts of Life and I Dream of Jeanie nowadays? If they are willing to gamble on those, these licenses shouldn't prove to be a problem.

I would add Dark Shadows as well, and if we could get a Karl Kolchak figure...well, that would be pure heaven, as long as we get the McGavin likeness.

I still want the 87 Monster Squad. Monsters AND kids.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎