X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Bohemian Rhapsody

went and saw the movie this afternoon. what a great movie, they really did a fantastic job. they may have skipped the seedier side of his lifestyle, but they did subtly hint at it. overall I highly recommend the movie. it really showed what a sad, lonely man Freddie Mercury was, while at the same time how incredibly talented he was.
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Saw it last night, too. Could not have enjoyed it more. Malek was amazing; an Oscar worthy performance IMO and they couldn't have found a better likeness for Brian May. Just loved it. The audience clapped at the end; don't remember the last time I saw that happen.
    Last edited by J.B.; Nov 4, '18, 2:35 PM.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I want to watch it so bad, but don’t have the free time right now, argh...
      sigpic

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

Enjoyable as a story...just don't think it's a documentary when u sit down.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by J.B.
          The audience clapped at the end; don't remember the last time I saw that happen.
          they clapped at the end of the show I was at too

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Heard there was an lot of stuff wrong in it including writing We Will Rock You in 1980 and FM telling his bandmates he had aids at Live Aid

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey
              Heard there was an lot of stuff wrong in it including writing We Will Rock You in 1980 and FM telling his bandmates he had aids at Live Aid
              It's definitely more drama than documentary. The band also didn't break up prior to Live Aid as they show in the movie. But it's mostly accurate and it's highly entertaining. Malek really nailed his performance. I got to see it in London last week as I was out there for the Eagles game. The crowd loved it.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

It did really well here in the United States. It was projected to bring in $35 million, but actually made $50 million on its opening weekend.

My wife and her sister are going to see it next weekend. I think I’ll go see it with them.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Myself, my wife and son want to see this. Glad to see its doing well. Queen is getting more airplay than usual out of it too!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• torgospizza
                    Theocrat of Pan Tang
                    • Aug 19, 2010

As good as Malek was as Freddie, I couldn't believe how spot-on the guy was that played John Deacon. Now, get this: it was the little boy from Jurassic Park.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Going to see it Saturday, at noon, at the Loews across the street from Lincoln Center. We’re going early to beat the later crowds. It also being shown in iMax at the same theater complex. We decided not to go that route. Looking forward
                      to it.

- Ian

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by torgospizza
                        As good as Malek was as Freddie, I couldn't believe how spot-on the guy was that played John Deacon. Now, get this: it was the little boy from Jurassic Park.
                        wow, I totally did not pick up on that. he grew up in the town one over from where I live. his parents have or had a dance studio there

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

Went to see it this afternoon. It was terrific!

The only error or criticism that I thought held true to what I’ve read before seeing the movie is that in the film he told the rest of the band he had AIDS just shortly before Live Aid, when in reality he told them around 1987. The other errors that have been said to be part of the film really aren’t true.

As far as the assertion that the film glosses Ofer his sexuality goes, I think that’s false. It’s dealt with up front in the film. They don’t show him having sex with men, but otherwise fully evident and spoken that he was gay, more than once and discussed and shown.

They record Night at The Opera when Freddie has long hair and no mustache. So that error isn’t true.

In the movie, it wasn’t said that the band said that the band had broken up prior to Live Aid. Freddie was working on two solo records. The rest of the band weren’t exactly happy with that, but the band wasn’t officially broken up, in the movie. It could be looked at either way, I suppose, but it’s not definitive.

Anyhow, the movie is GREAT!

- Ian

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

I am a huge Queen fan. I like the movie a lot. The soundtrack is awesome. Casting was done well. They told a good story for the amount of time available. They breezed over, skipped things, as well as changed some chronology. But it is understandable with time limits and amount of material. The main plot line is Freddie's relationships.

The audience who saw it with me were core fans. It was at a small local one screen theater that also had a very talented tribute band play a concert following the movie. Sold out weeks prior to the event.

On chronology-
                            as ian pointed out, they got it wrong. it was intentional for storytelling sake.
                            freddie seeing and joining the band was not exactly accurate, and how deacon came in to the band was just -poof! there he is.
                            tour they went on in the states was confusing.
                            it featured fat bottomed girls from '78 and looked like the outfits from that tour -but they were touring after sheer heartattack (73) in the film
                            the hair is wrong in the film. but i think it was still after Opera in the film. he definitely had it short by we will rock you (76) in the film. it was around then he had shorter long hair and no mustache. it was in 1981 with the game he went full village people look.
                            it was not prior to live aid that he revealed he had aids to the band. it was after.
                            it wasn't for live aid that he said he would give them everything when he was sick. that was recording innuendo
                            Last edited by Brue; Nov 11, '18, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

My wife and I saw this yesterday afternoon and thought it was tremendous. Being a life long Queen fan, I also noticed some of those discrepancies, but you really got the feeling early on this was a love letter to fans. And what a love letter it was! I felt like I was watching Mercury the whole time. If Rami Malek does not win an Oscar, it's a crime. He gave such a heart felt and in depth exploration of a man who wanted more than anything to just find acceptance. A powerful performance that was often heartbreaking to watch. Given the band accomplishments and the complexity of Mercury's life, let alone the inner band chemistry, I thought they covered the essential moments as best they could. It would have required a Netflix series to go more in-depth.

SPOILER WARNING...

If there was one embellishment they stretched a bit, it was trying to suggest Queen had been broken up "for years" (because of Freddie's solo detour) before regrouping for Live Aid. Queen was touring on their Works album in 1984, headlined the Rock in Rio show in 1985, and finished up their Works tour schedule in June of 1985. Live Aid was in July of 1985. Then they worked on and released " A Kind of Magic" in 1986 (essentially the Highlander soundtrack) and toured on that. It wasn't until after that the band took a break and Freddie did Barcelona in 1988. Ironically the arguing with Freddie seem to occur after they released the Miracle in 1989 and he decided he didn't want to tour on it. I remember back in the day seeing videos of the band frustrated that Freddie didn't want to do concerts at that moment and acting bewildered over his reluctance.

I honestly don't believe he told the band until after that record. It was at that point they seem to band together and stay in the studio full time to make "Innuendo" and additional tracks which they released after his passing on the record "Made in Heaven".

All that being said, I understand they wanted to end the movie thematically around the band's more iconic moment in front of an audience. I think it was beautiful and will go down as a classic movie in very short order. I believe Queen also just got a new generation of fans for the young ones going to see this. Kids seem to be off the charts in love with Freddie and Queen. That's so heartwarming to see. And I think this film will ensure more generations to come. Freddie has got to be looking down and smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎