X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 67: Mad Monster Party?

Happy Halloween everybody, as usual, we've put together a new episode for our favourite holiday.

Today's topic is the 1967 classic special "Mad Monster Party?" by the incredible Rankin Bass studios, while not as universally celebrated as their Christmas Fare has a nice established cult following and Jason & Brian are definitely members of that cult.

Other topics include the career of Boris Karloff, Harvey Kurtzman, Cracked Magazine, Bill Ward, Mad Magazine, Jessica Rabbit, the new TV movie "My dinner with Herve", Tigon films and the schedule of Bobby "Boris" Pickett.

Please join us on the Pod Stallions Facebook page and let us know what you think!
    give us spirited debate on our facebook wall.

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Fun episode! I discovered Mad Monster Party when I was around 11 or 12. I came in half way through and thought I had somehow been transported to a bizarro land where Rankin/Bass had created a Halloween special I somehow never heard of! It wasn't until years later I learned it was a theatrical release.

I've long said that as much as I love this...it's a bit bloated and slow. My kids watch it every year, but usually its in the background as we carve pumpkins or something. I think Jason's right, if it was an hour TV special it would really appeal to a broader audience, especially to the younger set now, and it would be more than just a cult favorite, it would be right up there with The Great Pumpkin. Just cut out your wife's hated songs and that would help. I also agree on everything you said about Franchesca. And I hadn't thought of those Nanny Dickering strips or Cracked monster specials in YEARS. Thanks for bringing back the fond memories.

My daughter and I did the YouTube Halloween Nostalgia Tour again this year, and we watched "Halloween with the NEW Addams Family". A bit slow in parts, but at least they got all the living original cast in, even Pugsly and Wednesday. I remember Witch's Night Out, but even as a kid the art style disturbed me. My daughter took one look at it and said "Pass".

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I hadn't found it until the 1990s, and I agree. I love it. First time I'd watched it, I was enchanted. Second or third time, I realized how long the running time is, and how padded it seemed. I still think the designs and voice work are fantastic, but it just screams out for a fan edit.

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

Thanks for another fun show. I never saw this as a child and first discovered it in a book about Rankin-Bass. A few years ago I found the DVD on sale at Halloween at Target. I agree with the assessments about its songs and the pacing at times, but I love the character designs. I really wish I'd gotten the Baron Boris figure when it was released a few years ago. Karloff's presence really elevates it (and, as a fan of crossovers, I like to use it to connect to Frankenstein 1970). I actually do have the DVD of Mad Mad Monsters. It's not as charming, as you say, but it's a nice example of some of those last vestiges of monster mania that came up in the 1960s.

Your comment about Phyllis Diller (and whether kids would know her) made me think of the various personalities R-B used to use (Jackie Vernon and Jimmy Durante in Frosty, for example) who had to be there more for adults than children. I'd definitely enjoy a show on more of Rankin-Bass, especially if you talked about their Tolkien adaptations.
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Have you seen the Mad Monster masks they have on Amazon? Those look cool.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by jwyblejr
            Have you seen the Mad Monster masks they have on Amazon? Those look cool.
            I have not. I'm trying to be good.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Allie Fox
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 1, 2009

I think you guys have cemented the next topic of discussion...

MAD Magazine and its wannabes.
              If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Nanny Dickering!!!

I know I've found the Mothership when there is conversation regarding the adolescent appeal of Nanny Dickering gracing the pictures of Cracked Magazine. God Bless You, Pod Stallions.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎