Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

I would have loved to have seen Liam Neeson as Dracula and Gary Oldman as Van Helsing. And virtually anything playing Jonathan Harker that wasn't Keanu Reeves. Slightly younger actor with intensity Joachin Phoenix? Javier Bardem?

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

Eddie Redmayne
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

If we are going for the look based on the original novel...I would love to see Viggo take on the cape and fangs. Keep the aging look at the start of the movie...and his youthening as he feeds on Londoners...

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
          Did you see Cumberbatch’s GIF?

He nails the looks...
          Yeah, that was PERFECT! I'm sold...he would totally nail the part!
          sigpic

Comment

• MysteryWho
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 16, 2008

How about Fassbender as a young Van Helsing like Cushing was VS Hiddleston's Dracula?

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by MysteryWho
              How about Fassbender as a young Van Helsing like Cushing was VS Hiddleston's Dracula?
              That would be a great combination...I'd totally watch that!
              sigpic

Comment

• Type3Toys
                Home Of The Type3 Body
                • Jan 18, 2005

My favorite Dracula was Jack Palance. He was truly frightening.
                LOOK
                Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Flipping suggestions, I like the idea of Fassbender or Mortensen as Dracula, and Cumberbatch or Hiddleston as Van Helsing.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2008

Yep those combinations could work also. I think with Van Helsing one of the keys to getting it right is something Cushing said in an interview. I don't have the exact quote handy, but Cushing said he played Van Helsing as heroic but a little "off" upstairs, I supposed as though he had to be a little crazy to be chasing vampires.
                    Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    Flipping suggestions, I like the idea of Fassbender or Mortensen as Dracula, and Cumberbatch or Hiddleston as Van Helsing.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Cushing did that well--obsessed, focused, passionate. Hopkins, not so much.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Cushing's Van Helsing was obsessed, but very mannered, polite and understanding. But there was a bit of mild religious zealot beneath the veneer. And of course, in his case, he was right because the icons of his faith were weapons against this evil plague he had committed himself to destroy. It's one reason why he's my favorite Van Helsing. Not the doodering old man of Edward Van Sloan or even Laurence Olivier, or the crazy old man of Hopkins.

I like Fassbender as Van Helsing and Hiddleston as Dracula. I would buy Mortenson more as Van Helsing than Drac, but I wouldn't scoff at that either.

I know it will illicit groans, but having seen Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald, I have to say I think if properly directed, Johnny Depp would make a good Dracula, despite his desecration of Barnabas Collins. That alone would probably make it too hard to swallow, but when he's not hamming it up, he can play a seductively charismatic villain. Separating him from the Barnabas baggage and his current personal problems probably make it impossible, however.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not sure I blame him for Barnabas. That's mostly on Burton. I do blame Depp for becoming very lazy in his acting despite being very talented.

I think you're a little mean about van Sloan but insightful on Cushing. Van Sloan is forceful and authoritative IMO, not doddering. There is a definite energy in his performance.
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 23, '18, 8:58 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I think you're a little mean about van Sloan but insightful on Cushing. Van Sloan is forceful and authoritative IMO, not doddering. There is a definite energy in his performance.
                            That's fair. I was trying to say that Van Sloan played him older than HE was. He wasn't really much older than Cushing when he played the role, they just made him up and had him act older. But that may be more on Browning than him. He was more energetic as Dr. Valdman in Frankenstein later in the same year.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

I was never a huge fan of Lugosi and his style of Dracula.

Seems that's the norm in many vampire movies --- very suave and very BORING Dracula.

I would rather see a serial killer style psychopathic jeckel and hyde vampire (like Lee's version added with a sprinkle of John Gacy)

I remember seeing a documentary about Gacy and it said he'd act perfectly normal and then out of nowhere start grunting out of the blue finally turning into a mindless killing machine.

That would be way more scary than any Dracula Hollywood has given us

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Please, no more Johnny Depp...I’m so sick of him, lol...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎