X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Hammer music...the Mummy 1959

My favorite Hammer score, and the best music from any Mummy film IMO.

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

So powerful and atmospheric, it's one of my favorites as well---the other being the score of The Devil Rides Out.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I'm a huge fan of Hammer music, but somehow the Mummy never made it into my collection. There was a label, I think called GDI?, that was churning them out a number of years ago. I couldn't believe it when I got the score to Twins of Evil in my hands. I'm of course a huge James Bernard fan, and his Taste the Blood of Dracula score is probably his finest.

Keep your eyes open next year... a new but faithful re-recording of the scores to Horror of Dracula and Curse of Frankenstein will be released by Tadlow under the direction of James Fitzpatrick. This is a big deal because the original tapes to those two are long lost.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        So powerful and atmospheric, it's one of my favorites as well---the other being the score of The Devil Rides Out.
        I highly recommend this disc if you can find it. It is a new recording of lots of different Hammer scores by James Bernard. The suite from Devil Rides out is brilliant. And there are two surprisingly powerful arrangements of the love themes from (of all things) Scars of Dracula and Frankenstein Created Woman. They are just dripping with luscious gothic splendor.

https://www.amazon.com/Devil-Rides-O...+James+bernard

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^Thank you! I was looking for The Devil Rides Out on youtube and finally found its music used to accompany a slide-show of Hammer film posters.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Love all the Hammer music. Even though The Mummy isn't James Bernard, it's fantastic, and perhaps their best. Even Christopher Lee thought so! The Brotherhood's theme from Twins of Evil was lovingly (I suppose) ripped off for Justice League. I know Bruce Timm is a huge Hammer fan, but I'm surprised they got away with that, with no credit to Harry Robinson.

I personally love the original Dracula theme. It's hard to beat.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

^ For me that score is down to two riffs which I love: Three big notes, DRA-cu-la, and the manic music of the climactic battle between van Helsing and Dracula.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

The Mummy theme is probably one of their most memorable and epic themes. It really is that good.

And the Brotherhood theme is right up there as one of my favorites too! Harry Robinson was superb in his own way too.

James Bernard was pretty hilarious matching the notes to the syllables in the title like he did for DRA-CU-LA. He adds four notes to that theme for TASTE-THE-BLOOD-OF-DRA-CU-LA. I'm pretty sure he did something similar for Dracula Has Risen From the Grave and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. I love his stuff.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎