Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mego Lex Luthor source art found

Images

Mego Lex Luthor source art found

I was looking through some old comics and collections for a buddy here and I stumbled across the solution to another Mego mystery (or a mystery to me, anyway). The source art for the Lex Luthor headshot on the 12" Superman boxes. The art originated in the famous Superman vs. Spider-Man treasury book. Ross Andru and Dick Giordano were the artists responsible. Looks like someone at Mego redrew it, but you can tell where they got it from. Take a look:

So now we've got source art for Jor-El, Lara and the rocket (Amazing World of Superman treasury book), and the Superman with hands on hips from the back (Superman #300). Now we just need to identify that central Supreman image on the front. Looks like a redrawn Curt Swan to me!

Chris

Images
    Very Cool.
    Good find.
    "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Images
    Yeah, I'm pretty psyched because I absolutely love the Superman box art. Piecing together where it comes from is particularly fun because I feel it is a really strong design and the artists at Mego really made it work!

Chris

Blog Entries
    You never cease to amaze Chris.

Images
    This is very cool. Did Mego do any original drawings for any of their packaging or was everything copied from somewhere else?
    WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Images
    This is very cool. Did Mego do any original drawings for any of their packaging or was everything copied from somewhere else?
    It almost seems like if Neal Adams didn't do it, they swiped it. Adams did original artwork for the Batlab, Jokermobile, Wayne Foundation, boxed Batmobile, and Hall of Justice (just off the top of my head). All vehciles and playsets. Seems like if it was figural, Mego either swiped it from a comic or stock art, or redrew it from those sources.

Of course theys swiped and redrew Adams artwork too, per the DC 79 card fronts.

Chris

Images
    Good sleuthin' Chris. Love seeing stuff like this.

Chris

Images
    Great detective work, Chris!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Images
    Blog Entries
    That's really cool to see. They did a good job of translating it into the box art with new painting. Be great to know if Adams did that or not.
    This profile is no longer active.

Images
    I don't think it was Adams, just due to the fact that his Superman was pretty distinctive and quite different than Swan's, which this Superman seems to mimic, and the big Superman on the back is definitely a redraw of a Swan Superman. I'd say the box was done by someone outside the comics, using comic sources for the artwork.

Just a guess though.

Chris