Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Which Aisle Might The Female Figures Fare Best?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

In Which Aisle Might The Female Figures Fare Best?

I stopped in 5 Targets last night, aside from 6 Norms, 3 Chekovs, 2 Sulus and 2 AJs collectively, each store had an over abundance of the following female figues: Peg, Alice, Kelly, Piper, and Tootie. One store had a few Samanthas & Jos, and each store had 2-4 of the following sets: Wizard of Oz, Full House and Jeannie.

Clearly the Marvel aisle is not the best location for these figures. I would think something closer to the girls' Mattel aisle might be a good location, or is there another location that would be even better? I'd like to see these get a fair shake, if that's at all possible.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

The only thing I can think of that matches the 8" line is by the Funko and Neca stuff that is typically located somewhere around the electronics section.
    In toys, it is tough to say if these should be with (deep voice) action figures, or in with the 'dolls' from Hasbro and Mattel. The 14 inchers all have an easy placement next to other superhero items, but the 8" line seems to be driven more by pop culture and nostalgia, which ties in with the Neca/Funko area better than anything in the classic kiddo toy isles.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
      Creature Of The Night
      • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by rche
      The only thing I can think of that matches the 8" line is by the Funko and Neca stuff that is typically located somewhere around the electronics section.
      In toys, it is tough to say if these should be with (deep voice) action figures, or in with the 'dolls' from Hasbro and Mattel. The 14 inchers all have an easy placement next to other superhero items, but the 8" line seems to be driven more by pop culture and nostalgia, which ties in with the Neca/Funko area better than anything in the classic kiddo toy isles.
      I always forget about that little section. I think you're right, that would be the best spot for them.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I like Rche's idea, now that the endcaps are gone.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• KOMonger
          Banned
          • Feb 17, 2015

If I was managing a Target, and it was allowed, I'd sprinkle some Megoes at the check-out counter. With so many pop licenses, the impulse-buy factor would be unavoidable. These buyers wouldn't otherwise spot them buried in the toy aisles.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

I'd put them up front with the baseball cards at Target,like Walmart does with their collectibles.

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

I suppose the "prime real estate location" would be at the check-out aisle by the gum and People magazine. I bet there's a lot of people who don't even know that Mego is back, or never visit the toy section. This way everybody will see them as they're waiting in line to pay. It's never gonna happen, but I can dream. Maybe we as members should bring some up to hang on a peg as we leave.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Honestly, yeah the female figures might fare better in the girl's toys aisles. But I'm not sure they will. Mego has made far too many female figures this go around, IMO. Charmed and Charlie's Angles are all female characters and thus far all the Married with Children characters have been women. That's a lot of essentially Barbie dolls in the boys aisle. Not only are they not particularly popular characters, they're not a fit for the aisle they're in.

I'm not sure they'd do good in the collector section either. Mego isn't a great fit for that. It tends to be 80s-90s era stuff with more modern video game tie-ins sprinkled in.

I think at this point they MIGHT have some more success if they had Mego split 50-50 amongst the boys and girls aisles.

Then again, I think they should have had whole cases of Frankenstein and Dracula and the Wolf Man at Halloween. But maybe they think having a bunch of Kelly Garretts is a better strategy.

Comment

• tllgn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 6, 2010

I like the gals right where they are.why not the wwf girls from that line are there as is the marvel chicks from those lines.so their fine right where they are.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

I still think that the Mego should be set up by the TV-on DVD section or endcap. With the cross-promotion it would help in keeping them from getting banged up all the time and really if you are looking at the Mego you might look at the DVDs or the other way around.

Back when I worked at Blockbuster that is where we would have put them.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

Mego is an action figure toy, so why wouldn't they be set up in the action figure aisle in the toy department
                      especially in a large department store?
                      Last edited by TrekStar; Oct 28, '18, 7:38 PM.

Comment

• Eric
                        Museum Patron
                        • Jan 11, 2008

If you put the Tootie figure in a convention signing room with Kim Fields it'll go for $50. At least that's what they were asking for it this weekend at Chiller Theatre. I don't think an autograph was included.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                          Then again, I think they should have had whole cases of Frankenstein and Dracula and the Wolf Man at Halloween.
                          How awesome that would have been. IMO the monsters should have been 15-20K and had a home on a Halloween section endcap.

Originally posted by tllgn
                          I like the gals right where they are.why not the wwf girls from that line are there as is the marvel chicks from those lines.so their fine right where they are.
                          Having WWF figures in the WWF section makes perfect sense. I'm not one to pay attention to WWF figures, do the female figures sell well?

"Marvel chicks" in the Marvel aisle also makes perfect sense and the figures seem to sell.

The problem with having Tootie, Peg, Kelly, etc. in that same aisle is that they're clearly not selling. Perhaps an argument can be made that these figures won't sell anywhere in the store, but I'd like to see them get a fair shake at getting noticed by shoppers who might be more receptive than those who are inclined to walk right past them in the Marvel aisle.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          I like Rche's idea, now that the endcaps are gone.
                          Same here. I also think the following ideas are better than leaving them where they are:

Originally posted by KOMonger
                          If I was managing a Target, and it was allowed, I'd sprinkle some Megoes at the check-out counter. With so many pop licenses, the impulse-buy factor would be unavoidable. These buyers wouldn't otherwise spot them buried in the toy aisles.
                          Originally posted by jwyblejr
                          I'd put them up front with the baseball cards at Target,like Walmart does with their collectibles.
                          Originally posted by RonnyG
                          I suppose the "prime real estate location" would be at the check-out aisle by the gum and People magazine. I bet there's a lot of people who don't even know that Mego is back, or never visit the toy section. This way everybody will see them as they're waiting in line to pay. It's never gonna happen, but I can dream. Maybe we as members should bring some up to hang on a peg as we leave.
                          Originally posted by monitor_ep
                          I still think that the Mego should be set up by the TV-on DVD section or endcap. With the cross-promotion it would help in keeping them from getting banged up all the time and really if you are looking at the Mego you might look at the DVDs or the other way around.

Back when I worked at Blockbuster that is where we would have put them.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎