Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple little things you miss about Halloween...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Simple little things you miss about Halloween...

As a kid in the 70's and 80's. I could name so many but I would like to hear yours...
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

I'll miss taking my kids out trick or treating, my daughter is going out with some friends instead this year and my son feels he is now too old for that now. Kinda bummed about that, I still remember taking my son out for his first time when he was six months old (not that he knew what the hell was going on at the time), the last twelve years really flew by.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

The thing I miss most about ALL the holidays...Halloween, Christmas, Easter, is the joy of anticipation leading up to them you experience as a child.

Seeing the decorations in the hallways at school...waiting for the animated specials to come on TV...all that stuff was just magical.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I miss elementary art class in the Fall.

Wax papering and ironing leaves

Making Halloween scenes using colored construction paper

Building Lenni Lenape style houses …. had nature trails in the woods behind the school and every Fall we'd build correct Lenape huts - REALLY FUN !!!

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Halloween specials on TV. Yes, they still air Great Pumpkin but it has been decades since they aired Garfield's Halloween, Witch's Night Out or Disney's Halloween Treat.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

Decorating our house.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
              Career Member
              • Nov 22, 2011

I / we still decorate for Halloween. I still dress up and go to parties and we host a Halloween party every year and pass out candy to the kiddies. I had a wonderful time as a kid trick or treating but, I enjoy Halloween more as an adult because I get a higher budget for costume and decorations and go all out for it. Halloween is my favorite holiday and a bid deal at our house.
              "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                I'll miss taking my kids out trick or treating, my daughter is going out with some friends instead this year and my son feels he is now too old for that now. Kinda bummed about that, I still remember taking my son out for his first time when he was six months old (not that he knew what the hell was going on at the time), the last twelve years really flew by.
                Yeah, I've been on the sidelines for years now. This is probably my daughter's last year too, she's going as a "Heather".

I've done up the house royally, the wife and I are both Halloween junkies.

IMG_20181006_1802350.jpg
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Woolworth's. Seeing those aisles of Ben Cooper costumes. Sure they were corny, but that's what we had. And you could be anyone! Cartoon characters, TV stars, superheroes, monsters, animals, movie heroes, ANYTHING! And all it took was a piece of plastic and a cheapo mask.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Love the display Brian. Blow-Mold heaven.

I miss all the Beistle decorations everywhere. We still have some up in the house, but many have bit the dust over the years. You used to see them everywhere. I remember the grocery store my Mom shopped at had them on every wall, on the deli counter...everywhere! They also had those great Halloween cupcakes with the cool plastic toppers of a black cat on a fence, or a witch. I kept one of the witch figures and found out years later it was based on the MPC Pop-Top monsters figure!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

The smells.

Going through the candy once I got home.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Speaking of smells...the smell of the vinyl costumes! I recall going through the aisle of Halloween costume boxes at Ben Franklin's and the smell of vinyl was overpoweringly cool.

Years later, I worked as a graphic designer for a billboard company. The smell of the vinyl banners took me right back to that store.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

The costumes. Just seeing them being sold everywhere. I mean yeah you see them everywhere today but not like back then. I'm talking about walking into some place like Rite Aid and seeing stacks of boxes of Halloween costumes on the shelves.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

I miss listening to Halloween sound effects records in the middle of October, just to get excited. I miss that feeling of getting your costume and trying it on, wearing it before Halloween.

Being in elementary school was the best. Seeing all the cool Beistle decorations on Teachers' doors, and having the Music teacher show you the Dance Macabre filmstrip with the accompanying record with music.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                              Career Member
                              • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              ^Speaking of smells...the smell of the vinyl costumes! I recall going through the aisle of Halloween costume boxes at Ben Franklin's and the smell of vinyl was overpoweringly cool.

Years later, I worked as a graphic designer for a billboard company. The smell of the vinyl banners took me right back to that store.

Chris
                              I almost forgot about that smells of fall. I/we moved to Florida 8 years ago from Indiana and it was a huge mistake. I was running for the harsh winters but, forgot all about how much I loved the other 3 seasons.
                              There's only 2 seasons in Florida. Tolerable and DANG HOT!
                              The beautiful colored leaves falling to the ground. The cool, crisp air in the morning walking to school. The awesome smell of neighbors burning leaves in their yard. Hay rides. Haunted attractions everywhere. The money I made fixing and making props for Halloween attractions. :::sigh::: Now, I'm homesick...
                              "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎