X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Reunited!

So I shared this on social media but it also belongs here.

24 years ago, I moved to a (Crummy) apartment in downtown Toronto, I noticed a comic and toy store opening it's doors just a few blocks down. I went opening day, turns out the owner was a dealer I had met at a few shows, we immediately hit it off.

I spent the rest of my twenties and early 30s hanging around with him, doing shows together, trips to US toy shows/flea markets and we also just hung out. I eventually moved to the burbs but we spoke weekly and I still visited the shop every other week.

Around the time my son was born, my friend went through a rough patch personally and decided to make a clean break. He sold the store to a local chain and moved away. I still remember having a last coffee with him across the street because my infant son would scream the minute he entered the store (i blame the Darth Maul statue).

The new owners smelled like weed and well, it wasn't the same. I stopped visiting, eventually, it closed down.

Some of the inventory/fixtures popped up in a dingey basement store on Yonge street in 2008, the guy who ran it was this grumpy character who I knew from my college days. The sign for my friend's shop was sitting in a pile on the stairs and while I wanted to buy it, i had no place to put it and like i said, grumpy dude. I heard later it closed it's doors, I sincerely regretted not taking action.

Yesterday, my wife wanted to visit a board game shop in the city and it sounded fun. Along the way, I saw a huge comic/board game shop that looked new, we pulled over to check it out.

The friendly clerk asked me if I'd ever been to the store and we went back and forth for a little while on the history and locations.

He mentioned there used to be a location north of there and I realized, this immaculate/friendly store used to be that dingey basement. I asked if he still had the sign, he texted his boss and yeah, it was in the window, I had walked right by it.

I made an offer, we haggled via text and well, it's mine now. I happily got to carry it down Yonge street, people were honking, no wonder my wife stayed in the car.

Such a great memory of good times, I'm so happy to bring it home. Where I hang it? I have no idea, although I am going to see if my friend wants it back.

comicpostsign.jpg

I don't know what happened to the rest of the sign, there was a rocket ship at one point and a cartoon explosion but I'm happy with what i reclaimed.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

That is awesome!! Collecting should be about fun. And what is more fun than something that has such fond memories for your. After all, its why we all got into this game.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Mary Canary
      Career Member
      • Jun 21, 2017

That's a great story!
      Other than the sign, how was the new store?
      Where is it located in Toronto?
      I might want to go check it out!

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mary Canary
        That's a great story!
        Other than the sign, how was the new store?
        Where is it located in Toronto?
        I might want to go check it out!
        It was a really nice shop on Yonge just south of the 401 and North of Lawrence. Heavy on games, light on comics and toys. We spent more on games there than at the shop we were headed to that day.

I think it was called "Hairy Tarantula" which is funny because I never knew the name when it was in the basement.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that's a great story. So glad you have it! Love the design too!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

That's a cool story. A good reminder of what's cool about this hobby and in particular these forums. I've never met any of you guys (that I know of), but it's good to have a place to go to to take a little deeper dive into what makes these old things we remember special. I can get misty over a 40-year-old bubble gum trading card wrapper and the folks here get it.

Comment

• Mary Canary
              Career Member
              • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by palitoy
              It was a really nice shop on Yonge just south of the 401 and North of Lawrence. Heavy on games, light on comics and toys. We spent more on games there than at the shop we were headed to that day.

I think it was called "Hairy Tarantula" which is funny because I never knew the name when it was in the basement.
              Hmmm. Ok, thanks, I'll have to look it up.
              Do you have a favorite comic book or toy store in the area?
              I'm not that big on Silver Snail.
              My boyfriend thinks they are snooty, ha.
              I go in and look around once in awhile, but I don't really have a shop I love.
              Would be fun to explore some new places.
              I don't mean to derail your story, but I'm sorry I didn't get to know the store you described.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                Hmmm. Ok, thanks, I'll have to look it up.
                Do you have a favorite comic book or toy store in the area?
                I'm not that big on Silver Snail.
                My boyfriend thinks they are snooty, ha.
                I go in and look around once in awhile, but I don't really have a shop I love.
                Would be fun to explore some new places.
                I don't mean to derail your story, but I'm sorry I didn't get to know the store you described.
                Heh, I don't blame him, I never got into the Snail after it moved from Queen, the staff seemed kinda "Hipsterish", it turned me off too. Been shopping there since i was 11 too...

Truth be told, I don't know GTA comic shops all that well as i don't actively collect them. I'm more of a toy, book or record guy.

The Beguiling on College is always dependable and Paradise Comics on Yonge is a very old school comic shop and has been around for like 25 years. I'm sure other folks could chime in with other suggestions.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 21, 2017

Heh, I don't blame him, I never got into the Snail after it moved from Queen, the staff seemed kinda "Hipsterish", it turned me off too. Been shopping there since i was 11 too...

Truth be told, I don't know GTA comic shops all that well as i don't actively collect them. I'm more of a toy, book or record guy.

The Beguiling on College is always dependable and Paradise Comics on Yonge is a very old school comic shop and has been around for like 25 years. I'm sure other folks could chime in with other suggestions.
                  Omg, that is what he said. "They're all hipsters who can't be bothered to help you." I think, too, it gets kind of crowded in there.
                  And he is not a nerd or collector like me. He was annoyed when someone who worked there told him Alicia Silverstone wasn't a good Batgirl, LOL.

I've given up monthly comics but I do pick up the occasional tpb now and then. Mostly I just go to Indigo or shop online for them.
                  But I do like the Beguiling. I think they have an interesting selection. I don't know if I've heard of Paradise Comics though, so I'll have to go scope them out.
                  The BMV Bookstore in the Annex is also great for trade paperbacks since they have a whole floor dedicated to them and stock lots of remainders and discounted selections.
                  Anyway, I just wondered because I remember you saying I'd probably have a hard time finding a copy of Retro Fans issue 2, and you were right.
                  My sister in Illinois is going to track down a copy for me. I just wondered if you had a shop you liked.
                  Also open to toy store suggestions. We checked out Things From Mom's Basement awhile back, but it was a bit of a drive.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

That's great man, nice one!

Oh crap, I remember the Hairy Tarantula, I visited there sometimes back in the day.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

Great story, I love this kind of stuff.
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Awesome story, thank you for posting it here. I often wonder about shop owners, dealers, fellow customers, etc. I knew over the years at shops and shows I used to go to in different places I lived over the years, but rarely do you get these kind of reconnecting moments, so they should be cherished.

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Great story, thanks for sharing.

I'm also intrigued about you and your wife's interest in board games, because I'm a little obsessed with Clue/Cluedo.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            I'm also intrigued about you and your wife's interest in board games, because I'm a little obsessed with Clue/Cluedo.
                            I can't tell if you are joking...

Comment

• Mary Canary
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              Great story, thanks for sharing.

Clue is great. Collinsport Historical Society was teasing a mock Dark Shadows game. "Like Clue. But everyone dies." And I want this to be a real thing. LoL!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎