Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I'm pretty disgusted with the new Mego.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Cornelius POTA
    agree, 100% enyawd72

For me, the new Mego 2018 thrill is gone. Might pick up a few when there in the $1.99 clearance bin, lol

Wave 1 hit me like a ton of bricks. New MEGO out, driving miles and miles to buy what I thought would be a nice investment.

Like a kid in a candy store mind you.

Outside Dracula, the first Wave is cheaply made. Not even close to the 1970's - 80's Mego.

I laugh every time I see new KISS Mego 2018.....ewwww how disturbing.

Target racks are still full of Wave 1 by me. Not even selling.

I'm going to stick with my old Mego hunts from the 1970's, not buying anymore new Mego 2018-19.
    Treating them like an investment sucks the fun right out of it. There is very little modern retail stuff that is going to buy you that flying car when you are 90.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      Treating them like an investment sucks the fun right out of it. There is very little modern retail stuff that is going to buy you that flying car when you are 90.
      So true, Thunder, So true...

I'm going to stick with my old Mego hunts from the 1970's, not buying anymore new Mego 2018-19.
      Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
      :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
      I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• Moxen
        Museum Patron
        • Nov 6, 2016

Originally posted by tjacwave50
        I'm kind of curious to know if besides the folks right here, how popular are the new megos with those who weren't around
        back in the 70's (the rest of the public) and or didn't grow up watching the tv shows we grew up with? I'm thinking okay maybe the heroes are selling because of the recent movies in the theater, so kids might buy the 14" Superman, Batman, etc.

But how well are figures like, Facts of Life, Bewitched, Charlies Angels, Charmed, etc doing with kids today?

I only ask this because I have 2 Targets in my area, and both are over stocked with female peg warmers for weeks on out
        but the 14" heroes seem to be selling pretty well, I've even seen the likes of Greg Brady and Happy Days Ritchie and Star Child hanging on the pegs for a while, but there's usually only 1-2 of those sitting there, but the fact is they don't seem to be hot items.

it's like Marty brought back megos for (our) benefit and hoped that they would catch on with the next generation and there kids too. According to my finds, the 14" heroes, Trek and Monsters are selling and everything else is just not as popular
        unless the peg warmers are selling better on the website?
        I was born in '81 and completely missed the Mego craze. I barely remember any of these sitcoms, never watched Charmed and have never seen original Charlie's Angels. I am interested in Trek, monsters and figures I would enjoy using in comics later, like Samantha or Oz figures. Since the monsters and Trek I don't have are never on the website at the same time and when I am awake, I have not bought anything since wave 1.

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
          Museum Patron
          • Apr 3, 2015

I'm rooting for Mego to succeed, but unless they get some superhero characters or some more classic sci-fi characters with fun, unique outfits, I'm not sure that they will.

I bought a few figures I really don't care about, just 'cuz Mego was back, baby. But I have some buyer's remorse now, and won't buy any more unless they're characters I really love.

And yeah, the distribution was a huge drag. In the long (very long) run, I got the few I really cared about, but collectible action figures and the internet and 2018 and "patience" don't really add up. I'm not used to stressing about these things anymore, I thought those days were over.

And my friends know me as the "Mego Guy" of the group, so over the last four months or so I've gotten plenty of texts asking me about the ton of Alice and Fonzie figures that look so out of place amongst the modern toys at Target. I can take their jokes, but it'd be nice to have some showstopper figures to point to and say "THIS! This is the Mego stuff that I love!" Y'know, a Green Hornet or some kinda costumed super-guy that my non-genre friends can understand.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

What new mego needs is the marvel license, and that's probably a slim to none chance.

So I can see maybe Mego going on for a few more waves and say by the end of 2020 will be
            the final farewell swan song, unless Marty strikes gold and gets Marvel before then.

What would be cool is getting POTA on the table, that could save some grace, along with more Trek
            and Universal Monsters, but you can only make so many characters for them, then the gas runs out.

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2011

What new mego needs is the marvel license, and that's probably a slim to none chance.

So I can see maybe Mego going on for a few more waves and say by the end of 2020 will be
              the final farewell swan song, unless Marty strikes gold and gets Marvel before then.

What would be cool is getting POTA on the table, that could save some grace, along with more Trek
              and Universal Monsters, but you can only make so many characters for them, then the gas runs out.

Well said, tjacwave50 Well said, buddy.

I like your style.

Happy Holidays.

Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
              :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
              I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

I want POTA too, for sure.

The monster stuff they could stretch out with Hammer Horror and the Monster Squad. That would allow them to recycle a lot of the stuff they’ve already produced.

With Doctor Who getting run into the ground now, I imagine the license to do Who figures will be more affordable in a year or two than it is now, so I’d definitely love to see them make a run at that. If they can’t use the old Denys Fisher molds, I hope they’d be able to at least come close, and then follow it up with new stuff as well. Lots of monsters there, and of course keep the line Dalek heavy.

For more monsters, I think they could branch off and do the X-Files, Dark Shadows, and so on.

With Star Trek there are plenty of aliens old and new that could still be done. And of course they can always move into TNG, especially with the new Picard series on the way.

I’m in total agreement that the sitcom stuff needs to go away. If they can’t secure the rights to Marvel or DC, I’d like to see them take a stab at pulp characters like the Shadow, or comic strip heroes like Dick Tracy.

P.S. I’d love to see Mego get back into 3.75in figures if possible, especially with something like Doctor Who. Do it like Dapol, obviously with slightly better sculpts and on a more accurate scale. The Third Doctor towered over the Fourth in the Dapol series. Unreal.
                Last edited by Liu Bei; Dec 13, '18, 9:53 PM.

Comment

• Avenging Robot
                  • Jun 1, 2012

If they use the old Denys Fisher Dr Who molds there’s a good chance of people in the UK of buying multiple Daleks (if offered for sale there). I see this line as having more potential than Space 1999. I’m not a huge Dr Who fan but I always liked the figures in this line so I’d definitely would be interested.
                  Last edited by Avenging Robot; Dec 14, '18, 3:27 AM.

Comment

• wise guy
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 29, 2014

Frankenstein,Wolfman, Dracula, Spock and the Gorn are the only figures I like from all
                    3 waves with Romulon ,and Action Jackson as just maybe. The rest don't appeal to me
                    or anyone I know . Mego in the 70's switched to action figures such as Buck Rodgers
                    and Micronauts and the 8'' TV shows like happy days didn't sell good.Marty must have forgot
                    this because why would anyone think that Target could sell 10,000 Alice and Tooties in
                    this era .I don't think they sold 500 or more with all Targets in the U.S.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

This thread is making me sad. Let's not pronounce the time of death, people! Stay positive!

I like buying toys to open and play with, sometimes at incredible sale prices around $7 a figure. They aren't perfect, just like any and all figures produced in this format.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 16, 2008

Try to just have fun and enjoy the ride! There will never be another heyday like the 70s were for Mego, just as we'll never be kids again.
                        This is just another fun revival that has it's ups and downs. I'm just getting what I can out of it and taking it for what it is now.
                        I get all the criticism, there are issues, but don't get sucked down the negativity hole, if you can. I think the Dalai Lama said that.
                        Originally posted by Hedji
                        This thread is making me sad. Let's not pronounce the time of death, people! Stay positive!

I like buying toys to open and play with, sometimes at incredible sale prices around $7 a figure. They aren't perfect, just like any and all figures produced in this format.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

They are affordable and fun.
                          Which is what toys are all about...
                          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Eric
                            Museum Patron
                            • Jan 11, 2008

Originally posted by Liu Bei

With Star Trek there are plenty of aliens old and new that could still be done. And of course they can always move into TNG, especially with the new Picard series on the way.
                            I got the EMCE Picard and Borg when they came out and was hoping they'd continue that line. Maybe MEGO can pick up where EMCE left off.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Over the course of the last 20 years, I've watched the collector market evolve quite a bit. Companies revisited these classic figure lines and toyed with various price points, special edition sets, and even figures with books (telling the story), all in an effort to catch that almighty dollar in a newly defined marketplace. All of them have had varying degrees of success, but always with an expiration date.

GI Joe certainly had a fascinating run covering everything from the vintage 12 inch incarnations, all the way up to some of the smaller scaled figures. And along the way Hasbro tried to branch out and modernize these figures for current sensibilities with modest results. Captain Action was re-launched not once, but twice. The first time they toyed too much with price points and lengthy production delays to make characters with limited appeal.

The second time they grabbed the Marvel license with the theatrical movies red hot all over the world and yet they still didn't translate to big sells for any amount of time. Whats interesting is that in both re-launches of the Captain, the life span was pretty close to the same - Roughly two to three years. So licensing choices didn't fix what ailed that line. And over time, even the GI Joe brand succumb to a lack of consumer interest as well. But both products share the same distinction, which is neither have been on shelves in the mass market for quite some time.

The Mego resurrection has been a less defined history in terms of public awareness, because much of what has been made for mass appeal did not actually look like the original Mego product, so much as an inspiration with changes intended to define modern appeal. We've had Famous Covers with Marvel characters; DC Golden Age heroes; Hasbro's Signature Series with Marvel superheroes and villains; and Mattel's turn with the Retro Action line.

If I had to pick from that lot and choose which line looked the closest to classic Mego, clearly it would go to Mattel's Retro Action line. But even Marty reflected on that and said it was a poor seller. So if we look to history for our answers, the usual suspects in licensing are not making the results any better.

Much of what we, the collector, have bought from are in the collector markets – Castaway, Bif Bang Pow, Figures Toy Company, EMCE, Diamond Select, and ZICA exist in those niche markets. And most of those companies have quit making that kind of product. So Mego has stepped out into a much broader and far more perilous marketplace going mass, and I don’t believe following collector sensibilities will be the perspective that keeps them there. I’m not sure there is a obvious answer.

But I DO know the Mego brand exists right now. I love the people running Mego and I’ll do my best to support them while they’re here. I’m learning to relish these little moments in time. Our generation pops in occasionally to be noticed - GI JOE, Captain Action, Stretch Armstrong, Evel Knievel (stunt cycles), and now Mego figures. Those old days of these brands selling millions will never come again folks. But when that eternal spot light swings overhead and finds my generation, I’m going to stand up and pump my fist, so the world knows I’m still here. Enjoy this moment.

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

well said, Tom.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎