Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I'm pretty disgusted with the new Mego.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • k2
    Career Member
    • Sep 12, 2007

target has a “fandom” section by the dvd’s and stuff, i feel like the mego figures should be there instead of the toy isle

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by B-Lister
      Quoted for truth. The sitcom characters are just a bad idea.

Not entirely. Marcia was hard to find at first,same with Chachi from Happy Days. I mean why are Chekov and Sulu just sitting on the web site? You would think they'd sell out with the rest of Star Trek.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by sprytel
        Now that is not entirely fair. Mego also sold a lot of Fonzies and Dukes and CHiPs...
        True, but CHiP's and especially Dukes, were more toyetic and adventure driven. Dukes was a merchandising juggernaut with hundreds if not thousands of products produced by a wide variety of toy companies. The same cannot be said of Love Boat, etc.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
          Not entirely. Marcia was hard to find at first,same with Chachi from Happy Days. I mean why are Chekov and Sulu just sitting on the web site? You would think they'd sell out with the rest of Star Trek.
          Sulu is five dollars more expensive than the other eight inch figures. Otherwise, he'd sell a lot better.

Comment

• wise guy
            Career Member
            • Dec 29, 2014

Every Target that I have checked this week has more Sulu, Chekov, Action Jackson etc.
            These are peg warmers that will be on clearance after Christmas in my opinion. I just hope this doesn't kill Mego. The sitcom figures look sad and outdated next modern toys.Only
            the monsters and a few Star Trek are still selling in my area.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              Sulu is five dollars more expensive than the other eight inch figures. Otherwise, he'd sell a lot better.
              But what about the times he hasn't been 5 dollars more?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                But what about the times he hasn't been 5 dollars more?
                Well, I bought a bunch when they were cheaper.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by wise guy
                  Every Target that I have checked this week has more Sulu, Chekov, Action Jackson etc.
                  These are peg warmers that will be on clearance after Christmas in my opinion. I just hope this doesn't kill Mego. The sitcom figures look sad and outdated next modern toys.Only
                  the monsters and a few Star Trek are still selling in my area.
                  I haven't seen Sulu in the stores for a long time.

Comment

• VulcansFury
                    Museum Patron
                    • Mar 6, 2014

Tons of pegwarming modern stuff like Marvel Legends and Star Wars, so there are no guarantees in retail. As long as they don't throw the baby out with the bath water like they did with Funko ReAction figures (those things were incredible at the end with their Dark Crystal, ET, etc sculpts. Shame Funko bailed on them too)

If Target asked for Facts of Life etc and offered to pay for them, do you guys really expect Marty to say no? We can all armchair quarterback and say what will and won't work, but Marty's already made his money.

Comment

• Avenging Robot
                      • Jun 1, 2012

I think it's history repeating itself. To me Mego is best at 8" figures and apart from WGSH, Mego excels at Star Trek, Monsters and POTA. Facts of Life etc. is no different from Our Gang back in the day, a line that perhaps sounded good in theory but just didn't sell all that well.

For me, I'm hoping that Mego realizes that there are a few people like myself who want to make epic displays with lots of Romulans, Klingons, Red Shirts, Soldier Apes (on horses) that we obviously couldn't do as kids. Roll that out with a couple of buy 2 get one free type deals, you can roll the dice with other licenses and it won't sink the company. As for the monsters, you have lots of options from doing classic movie Draculas, Hammer Horror, Abbott and Costello sets etc. for quite a while without even beginning to cover modern horror films. One of the smartest things FTC ever did was reissue the Mad Monster Castle playset while offering Scooby Doo figures at the same time.
                      Last edited by Avenging Robot; Dec 11, '18, 8:34 PM.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

And every Scooby gang needs a van...which they will happily sell u as well...

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                          I'm kind of curious to know if besides the folks right here, how popular are the new megos with those who weren't around
                          back in the 70's (the rest of the public) and or didn't grow up watching the tv shows we grew up with? I'm thinking okay maybe the heroes are selling because of the recent movies in the theater, so kids might buy the 14" Superman, Batman, etc.

But how well are figures like, Facts of Life, Bewitched, Charlies Angels, Charmed, etc doing with kids today?

I only ask this because I have 2 Targets in my area, and both are over stocked with female peg warmers for weeks on out
                          but the 14" heroes seem to be selling pretty well, I've even seen the likes of Greg Brady and Happy Days Ritchie and Star Child hanging on the pegs for a while, but there's usually only 1-2 of those sitting there, but the fact is they don't seem to be hot items.

it's like Marty brought back megos for (our) benefit and hoped that they would catch on with the next generation and there kids too. According to my finds, the 14" heroes, Trek and Monsters are selling and everything else is just not as popular
                          unless the peg warmers are selling better on the website?

Well my kids 20 and 17 could care a less about new Mego.

So I went a step further and showed a few younger kids in the neighborhood age ranging between 5 - 12 and they also didn't seem interested. And most of the Wave 1 line they

never even heard of. And the 3 Targets by me have still have plenty of stock from Wave 1
                          Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                          :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                          I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

Greensleeves

So distribution issues aside, I've been pretty pleased with the new Mego. But I finally got green shirt Kirk from Target.com, and this is how he looked. Check out his right sleeve. Not sure if I'll keep him for customizing or send him back. And I paid about $8 for him, so I'm not going to cry myself to sleep. Maybe he'll be a super rare error Kirk worth tens of thousands of nothing in a few years.

kirk green.jpg

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                              So distribution issues aside, I've been pretty pleased with the new Mego. But I finally got green shirt Kirk from Target.com, and this is how he looked. Check out his right sleeve. Not sure if I'll keep him for customizing or send him back. And I paid about $8 for him, so I'm not going to cry myself to sleep. Maybe he'll be a super rare error Kirk worth tens of thousands of nothing in a few years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24484[/ATTACH]
                              Don't return him. I'd buy him, if you decide you don't want to keep him.

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
                                Sorry if this thread upsets some people, but I'm really quite disgusted with the way the new Megos have turned out.

I really wanted to like them. I really did, but I just can't. Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but stuff like flesh colored wrist joints on Batman's blue hands, an incorrectly proportioned bat symbol, no jacket on the Joker. These things are deal breakers for me. I really liked the Superman, Green Lantern, and Flash in pics. In person, Green Lantern's white gauntlets look incredibly cheap. You can see right through the ultra thin fabric and the ones I saw they were cut short and uneven. They just looked terrible. I had him in my hands...I truly WANTED to buy him...but I put him back because of those crappy gauntlets.

It really sucks because so many of these figures COULD have been perfect if these easily corrected issues were addressed beforehand. Why does Classic Batman NOT have blue wrist joints? As soon as I saw that it was an instant no sale for me.

The monsters are even worse. Frankenstein with no electrodes and combat boots? The Screaming Werewolf? Gimme a break. If you're gonna do Universal Monsters then DO THEM. Not generic substitutes.

I've seen the Screaming Werewolf film, and it's just sad. It was an embarrassing low point in Chaney's career I'm certain he wouldn't want to be remembered for, so to have a figure based off THAT film instead of his finest role as the Wolf Man is just pathetic.

There are other things too...availability, scalpers, and a general lack of quality in what I HAVE seen. A while back I decided I'm no longer going to "fix" brand new toys. I shouldn't have to, and neither should anyone else.

I know my own work ethic, and I would never send out some of the stuff I've seen. If you're gonna do something, do it RIGHT, or don't do it at all.

I hope things improve, but until they do, I'm not buying.

I'm going to return the unopened Dracula that was given to me to it's rightful owner or anyone else here who needs one. I'm out.

I'll stick to my models.

agree, 100% enyawd72

For me, the new Mego 2018 thrill is gone. Might pick up a few when there in the $1.99 clearance bin, lol

Wave 1 hit me like a ton of bricks. New MEGO out, driving miles and miles to buy what I thought would be a nice investment.

Like a kid in a candy store mind you.

Outside Dracula, the first Wave is cheaply made. Not even close to the 1970's - 80's Mego.

I laugh every time I see new KISS Mego 2018.....ewwww how disturbing.

Target racks are still full of Wave 1 by me. Not even selling.

I'm going to stick with my old Mego hunts from the 1970's, not buying anymore new Mego 2018-19.
                                Last edited by Cornelius POTA; Dec 13, '18, 1:31 PM.
                                Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                                :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                                I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎