Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I'm pretty disgusted with the new Mego.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bgiles73
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 14, 2010

I’ve just joined the ranks of “To hell with it” and ordered Spock off of Ebay. I hope Wave 3 won’t be a repeat of Wave 2, but I’m not seeing any trends that Target will be getting their stuff together. I’m glad Mego is back, but I hope they can find better retailers in 2019.

Comment

• k2
      Career Member
      • Sep 12, 2007

i think the figures are great, mostly getting the trek. but of all 5 or 6 targets around me only 1 got any wave 2 figures and i never evan saw spock, fortunately got the gorn. sooooo the excitement is wearing pretty thin for hunting for these

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

Got burned by a mego ambassador the first time on a deal for a frank. Working with a museum member this time. This has turned into a very expensive doll. Still have never seen him at retail or on target.com

Comment

• VulcansFury
          Museum Patron
          • Mar 6, 2014

I've been thrilled with this Mego Rebirth to the point where I've been spending WAY too much scooping up other lines to join them (Mainly FTC as I dabbled previously with Neca, BBP and EMCE Monsters so I have a small collection already). I've missed Star Trek so many times over the years and now at $14.99 I just can't say no (I do have an EMCE Spock & Kirk so I'm still looking for wave 3 Spock but not in any rush). But actually owing a Gorn when I found him at $12.99 just has me over the moon about Mego and 8" cloth retro.

I completely get the complaints about the Universal Monsters and likeness rights, but it's just not going to happen at this pricepoint. I get the complaints about scarcity and scalpers, but I feel patience is necessary and all 3 waves should be more readily available as Christmas shelf-stocking ramps up. I think the current $11.99 price drop is to clear the wave 1 stock for more 2 & 3. Besides, the scalper ebay prices are still FAR below what customs like Distinctive Dummies go for.

DST's Universal Monsters were a lot of fun, but even at their more expensive prices, they couldn't sustain it, nor could they get more likeness rights like Lugosi. (But that Creature was incredible!) I don't know how people can expect Mego to do better for cheaper. UM is one heck of a pricey license, AND DST has stated they plan on looking into doing more product (no specification of scale, but implies they still have the license).

I'm really sorry for the upset fans who can't enjoy the positive aspects because of the few negative ones (not meaning this as an attack against anyone). But as a collector of Hot Toys, I can overlook issues on a sub-$20 toy compared to a $200+ collectible. With any luck this Rebirth will bring in more new fans to the scale (I've already tripled the size of my collection!) and expand the selections available to all groups (customizers, etc). And at the prices Target is charging, I'm THRILLED with the new Mego. Here's to sustaining it and improving on it in the years to come. I've had more FUN with these than any toy line in ages!

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

I think a lot of the problem is just the way Target stocks their shelves. If there isn't a big empty hole in the aisle then they aren't bringing any more out, and if the aisles are do to be reset they aren't going to bother bringing more case out until they do the aisle. The employees really have no idea abou t new waves and which figures are old, selling toys is not their main business, just aside note to their bottom line. Even the Star Wars section has the same old figures sitting on the shelf for months at a time.

Comment

• Liu Bei
              Banned
              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Spyweb007
              I think a lot of the problem is just the way Target stocks their shelves. If there isn't a big empty hole in the aisle then they aren't bringing any more out, and if the aisles are do to be reset they aren't going to bother bringing more case out until they do the aisle. The employees really have no idea abou t new waves and which figures are old, selling toys is not their main business, just aside note to their bottom line. Even the Star Wars section has the same old figures sitting on the shelf for months at a time.
              That’s been my experience as well.

I hate Target.

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
                Sorry if this thread upsets some people, but I'm really quite disgusted with the way the new Megos have turned out.

I really wanted to like them. I really did, but I just can't. Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but stuff like flesh colored wrist joints on Batman's blue hands, an incorrectly proportioned bat symbol, no jacket on the Joker. These things are deal breakers for me. I really liked the Superman, Green Lantern, and Flash in pics. In person, Green Lantern's white gauntlets look incredibly cheap. You can see right through the ultra thin fabric and the ones I saw they were cut short and uneven. They just looked terrible. I had him in my hands...I truly WANTED to buy him...but I put him back because of those crappy gauntlets.

It really sucks because so many of these figures COULD have been perfect if these easily corrected issues were addressed beforehand. Why does Classic Batman NOT have blue wrist joints? As soon as I saw that it was an instant no sale for me.

The monsters are even worse. Frankenstein with no electrodes and combat boots? The Screaming Werewolf? Gimme a break. If you're gonna do Universal Monsters then DO THEM. Not generic substitutes.

I've seen the Screaming Werewolf film, and it's just sad. It was an embarrassing low point in Chaney's career I'm certain he wouldn't want to be remembered for, so to have a figure based off THAT film instead of his finest role as the Wolf Man is just pathetic.

There are other things too...availability, scalpers, and a general lack of quality in what I HAVE seen. A while back I decided I'm no longer going to "fix" brand new toys. I shouldn't have to, and neither should anyone else.

I know my own work ethic, and I would never send out some of the stuff I've seen. If you're gonna do something, do it RIGHT, or don't do it at all.

I hope things improve, but until they do, I'm not buying.

I'm going to return the unopened Dracula that was given to me to it's rightful owner or anyone else here who needs one. I'm out.

I'll stick to my models.
                Megos were made to be playe with. Not to be exact representations of actors and characters (though they did a pretty good job at times)

You complaints of the figures really says that these truly are Mego figures. (I assume you like those)

monster and others not accurate. SHAZAM. Cap America, Mxysptlk, tall robin, short hulk, Check.
                screaming WW wrong version - Catwoman check. Star trek aliens checkmate -they couldn't even figure out which ape was urko
                Incorrectly proportioned bat emblem. check.
                incredibly cheap gauntlets. oven mitts. check.
                flesh wrist and colored hands. many. check.
                missing key costume parts. lasso, caps gloves, check.
                wrong size body parts Daisy Duke, 12 inch Cap check

I could go on and on and on.

Megos were seldom ever perfect representations of characters. Some of the charm IS the quirkiness.

But as others have said - If you don't like them it is OK. Just don't buy 'em. There are plenty of other products new and old to fill the void. -including models

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by JillyBeanSSF
                  I agree wholeheartedly...

This is unacceptable at ANY price point! (the other side of her head is stained black)
                  This happens even on expensive figures. 5B7A6C2B-2C9A-4FC9-8473-0C39C62A11D6.jpg

That's a Mezco One:12 Spock.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
                    Museum Patron
                    • Apr 3, 2015

"Disgusted" is a little strong for how I feel, but I have to say I was never too interested in many of new-Mego's offerings to begin with. I did get caught up in the excitement, but that has been almost completely killed by not being able to find the few figures I could talk myself into being interested in. I went from faux-enthusiasm to being annoyed to giving up to almost forgetting these exist.

I know FTC has the DC license (and good on 'em, they've done great!) and Marvel is prohibitively expensive. But there have to be some superhero licenses out there that Mego could scoop up. Green Hornet, The Shadow, Lone Ranger, Flash Gordon, Doc Savage... Stardust The Super Wizard, Black Terror, (original) Daredevil... Madman, Grendel, Nexus, Rocketeer, the Tick... Electra Woman & Dyna Girl... maybe even some original Megos like Zorro and The Greatest American Hero? And Reid Fleming, World's Toughest Milkman!

But it won't matter if fans can't find 'em.

Comment

• toothaction
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Your pal, Jim
                      ... Stardust The Super Wizard
                      ...and Fantomah would be a dream come true!

Pardon my cherry picking, carry on.
                      >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• zaphod
                        • Dec 19, 2011

Originally posted by Your pal, Jim
                        "Disgusted" is a little strong for how I feel, but I have to say I was never too interested in many of new-Mego's offerings to begin with. I did get caught up in the excitement, but that has been almost completely killed by not being able to find the few figures I could talk myself into being interested in. I went from faux-enthusiasm to being annoyed to giving up to almost forgetting these exist.

I know FTC has the DC license (and good on 'em, they've done great!) and Marvel is prohibitively expensive. But there have to be some superhero licenses out there that Mego could scoop up. Green Hornet, The Shadow, Lone Ranger, Flash Gordon, Doc Savage... Stardust The Super Wizard, Black Terror, (original) Daredevil... Madman, Grendel, Nexus, Rocketeer, the Tick... Electra Woman & Dyna Girl... maybe even some original Megos like Zorro and The Greatest American Hero? And Reid Fleming, World's Toughest Milkman!

But it won't matter if fans can't find 'em.
                        Mego at one time long ago did have the license for the Filmation Flash Gordon and produced some in the 3.75 inch size. I wish they could re-do that line now in the 8 inch size.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by zaphod
                          Mego at one time long ago did have the license for the Filmation Flash Gordon and produced some in the 3.75 inch size. I wish they could re-do that line now in the 8 inch size.
                          that was Mattel.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PeterRR
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Jun 2, 2008

I have to agree all the new mego look really terrible they look like toys you find in a dollar store. Are the Charlie angels or any of these lines suppose to look like the actors or they just use random heads? I hear people say they are cheap well target is already lowering prices on them. These figure are a embarrassment to megos from the past. Mego should have stayed dead because these figure look like a knockoff of a knockoff company making a horrible product. In a way saves me money from buying this crap so I can buy real megos or mezco figures

Comment

• SWDAVE
                              • May 31, 2017

I am getting frustrated more than anything due to the fact that I cannot find anything past wave one in a store. Pegwarmers left and right. It is hit or miss on the target website and I was able to get Woody, Cliff, and Al. Still no sign of Spock, Gorn, Frank, and Wolfie.

Comment

• Brue
                                User without title
                                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by PeterRR
                                I have to agree all the new mego look really terrible they look like toys you find in a dollar store. Are the Charlie angels or any of these lines suppose to look like the actors or they just use random heads? I hear people say they are cheap well target is already lowering prices on them. These figure are a embarrassment to megos from the past. Mego should have stayed dead because these figure look like a knockoff of a knockoff company making a horrible product. In a way saves me money from buying this crap so I can buy real megos or mezco figures
                                Seriously? First, many of the new figures look AWESOME! Second, you do realize Mego ALWAYS has made characters that are a little off. Perhaps if you find these an embarrassment, you are in the wrong place?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎