Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I'm pretty disgusted with the new Mego.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
    Lack of availability is my issue. I found what I wanted from wave 1 eventually. Found a Gorn. Eventually. Still never seen Frankenstein.
    Same here. Kind of hard to comment on the quality if you can’t even find them. Never saw one wave 2 figure yet. Totally ridiculous. But that’s all on Target. They created this mess by putting limited numbers on them, which incentivizes scalping. Follow that up with many stores releasing product before launch, few releasing when they are actually supposed to, and others releasing them late, if ever. All topped off with staff who are uninformed and couldn’t care less about helping even if they could.

I really hope the more popular figures get re-released if Mego survives beyond this exclusive contract with Target. And retail wonders why they can’t hang with online businesses. Because you can’t even provide good customer service, which is the one advantage over online shopping that you (could) actually have.

Comment

• Creature Of The Wheel
      • Aug 26, 2018

Acquiring the figures is frustrating. It would be great if Mego had their own website where figures could be pre-ordered so we could easily obtain them.

I also collect a line of action figures called Mythic Legions from Four Horsemen Studios. These figures consistently sell on the secondary market for 200 to 500 % of MSRP but there is no issue for collectors obtaining them at MSRP because they always have an extensive pre-order period well before the release date of each wave.

I just want it to be easier for Mego to get my money and for me to get my Mego's!
      " Well now...seems just like old times."

Comment

• mego
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 16, 2012

I live in the hometown of Target corp and I can't find anything but Wave 1, which I have no interest in. Was looking forward to the KISS figures, the Paul Stanley figure was removed from Target's site and they sure haven't showed up in the stores.
        Frustrating.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
          Price is NEVER a deciding factor for me, nor is brand. ALL I care about is quality, and I'm just not seeing it.
          I understand that. But there are many people, including myself, who have to make a compromise between price and quality. If I could, I'd buy higher end figures, but right now, $20 is more in my league. And yes, even though I feel you shouldn't have to tweak a figure yourself, that price range allows me to do just that.
          And higher prices don't automatically mean better quality. I have a Hot Toys Cap that makes my heart bleed every time I see him.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            I understand that. But there are many people, including myself, who have to make a compromise between price and quality. If I could, I'd buy higher end figures, but right now, $20 is more in my league. And yes, even though I feel you shouldn't have to tweak a figure yourself, that price range allows me to do just that.
            And higher prices don't automatically mean better quality. I have a Hot Toys Cap that makes my heart bleed every time I see him.
            Oh yeah, I've had issues with high end stuff too. My Hot Toys Cap's shield started flaking all the color off. What I meant was I look at the quality of an item before buying it, and even if it's inexpensive, if it doesn't meet my standards I put it back. I really don't think I'm that overly picky either. The flesh colored wrist joints on Batman simply should never have happened. Somebody either screwed up, or it was a conscious cost cutting decision that affects the visual aesthetic of the toy enough for me that it ruins it. Other people seem OK with it, and that's fine. I just can't overlook it. It's the perfectionist in me I'm sure, but I can't help it. The 14" Joker has correct colored wrist joints...so does the Flash. Maybe Batman version 3.0 will get it right.

Comment

• callistofreak
              Who stole my stuff !!!
              • Jul 1, 2006

To each there own. I'm having fun, hunting and collecting.
              I have bought 17 of the 8" and 8 of the 14"
              And 3 of the 2-packs
              SO FAR.......
              If I had gotten any of these (perfect of not) back in 1975, I would have LOVED IT!!
              As I do today.
              Even though Target has not done much better than Toys-R-us with the Mettle line.
              I'm very excited to see what else Marty & Doc bring us next.
              Last edited by callistofreak; Oct 24, '18, 1:16 PM.
              sigpicWho stole my stuff !!!

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I totally respect being disappointed with some of the new stuff. It's weird though, how we tend to be less tolerant as an adult. As an example, I love the vintage Luke Skywalker, Ben Kenobi, and Darth Vader with their telescoping lightsabers. They're so wonderful and goofy. As a kid, did it bug me that they were too short, oddly shaped, and in Luke's case, wrongly colored? A bit, yes. But look how time makes them endearing. If I had a time machine, I wouldn't go back and change them because they are iconic.

I'm not saying it's the same thing with new Mego, but as someone else mentioned, Mego Captain America either bothered you as a kid, or you just accepted it.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                  learning all the time
                  • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
                  I'm not saying it's the same thing with new Mego, but as someone else mentioned, Mego Captain America either bothered you as a kid, or you just accepted it.
                  lol for me as a kid I never understood why the hulk and the thing were shorter than the regular figs!
                  as for myself and these new megos, I'm happy that they're back in stores but: no marvel + no star wars = no interest
                  if I had disposable income I might pick up some for customs but that's it.

Comment

• zaphod
                    • Dec 19, 2011

If only they had marvel, marvel studios, and star wars!

Marvel + Marvel Studios + Star Wars = No need for numbered limited editions (#/?,000)

Comment

• KOMonger
                      Banned
                      • Feb 17, 2015

I was collectiong Captain America when the first Megos came out, so of course I was disappointed in how he came out, but I certainly wasn't going to pass on any of the figures I wanted.

Can someone explain Target Corporate's thinking on this? Why do they go for exclusives like these Mego and Neca figures, offer them online, but mark them "not available in stores", when we all know it's meant to bring foot traffic to their stores.
                      It doesn't add up. If anything, shouldn't their site say "only available in stores" so people actually go?

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

I'm generally happy with the line. My complaints really are only about licensing choices and availability and both of those issues I blame Target. On Quality vs Price point, I think people bring up that these figures are affordable as a defense of the line as a contrast to FTC who has been gouging people for a long time. It is a contrast that Mego can produce better quality figures at a lower cost.

There are some quality issues with the new mego figures, but I've kind of assumed part of that has to do with the deal they struck with target and trying to hit deadines. (Frankenstein was supposed to be a pale green, but for now they had to meet the target quota I am sure.) Paul Clark has offered a new replacement head for Batman for free to those that ask and I heard that the Joker jacket will be offered later. Remember all those correct size replacement heads we got from FTC... oh wait, nevermind.

Look, Mego is not hitting a home run right off the bat but they are doing a lot to resurrect a company thats been dead for decades. And I know they will improve. For now I am picking and choosing which ones I buy skipping the sit com figures entirely. But I am buying actual Megos, real Megos for my kids for Christmas this year. On the top of my 7 year old sons list is 14": superman, green lanturn and flash.
                        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Mary Canary
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by jayraytee
                          Look, Mego is not hitting a home run right off the bat but they are doing a lot to resurrect a company thats been dead for decades. And I know they will improve. For now I am picking and choosing which ones I buy skipping the sit com figures entirely. But I am buying actual Megos, real Megos for my kids for Christmas this year. On the top of my 7 year old sons list is 14": superman, green lanturn and flash.
                          I love this. I wish I was getting Megos for Christmas this year. I could probably ask... but what if I end up buying all of the ones I want first!?

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 25, 2018

^ Nothing wrong with having doubles you can keep on card or try to customize.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

10/figure, I'm all in. The better the assortments, the more I'm spending for me or my kids. I can deal with obscure, i have no interest in ironic kitsch.

Comment

• KOMonger
                                Banned
                                • Feb 17, 2015

Originally posted by jayraytee
                                ... Remember all those correct size replacement heads we got from FTC... oh wait, nevermind.
                                A bit unfair. The Batman head tooling could be modded to shorten the neck. But change the overall size of a head? Completely new tool required.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎