Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I'm pretty disgusted with the new Mego.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by kerowack
    The price point on these things cancels out almost every complaint you’ve listed.
    I respectfully disagree with that opinion. It wouldn't have cost any more to mold Batman's wrist joints in the correct color, or make his chest emblem the correct size. Those things should have been corrected.

I guess I just can't help it. I'm a perfectionist. I used to work in quality control, and stuff like that drives me absolutely nuts. I would NEVER have let one of those Batman figures leave the factory with flesh colored wrist joints.

No matter what else the figure has going for it...nice costume, GREAT head sculpt, when I look at it, all I see are those damn wrist joints and a too large bat emblem.
    Last edited by enyawd72; Oct 22, '18, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Lack of availability is my issue. I found what I wanted from wave 1 eventually. Found a Gorn. Eventually. Still never seen Frankenstein.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
        All of this is about our personal expectations of the new line, if it doesn't work for you, the right thing is not to buy and nobody can say that's wrong because it's how you feel.

Me? I'm over the moon about certain things, that Werewolf, in particular, is the most awesome thing yet for me. I'm bored of Uni Wolfman, so this is like getting a Distinctive Dummies figure at Target but, like i said, mileage varies for each individual.

In all of this, the one thing that bothers me isn't complaining or criticism because we'll always have it and some of it is quite understandable. I worry more about the growing lack of understanding that everybody sees things differently and the weird divide it's causing in some places. We seem to be caught up in being right, even though our preferences aren't transferable.
        right there with you, love the fact that the werewolf will be a different new character instead of another Wolfman that we already have. And that Lugosi Dracula that the OP is returning out of spite is ridiculous. Its hands down the best Mego type figure this year and almost the best one of the revival so far. Not to mention the only Lugosi Mego in wide release.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• alex
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 15, 2009

Just for starters these are Mego, personally I havent had the new ones in hand, but they are coming my way, and I cant wait to rip them off the card They certainly beat the pants off the offerings of FTC. I personally didnt like the cards at the start, but must say they have grown on me. Its the price here, which I think is very affordable, and Ive given up on FTC a long time ago, because of this. All the figures arent everyones cup of tea, and I think we have all got over the shock horror of some of the licences, but theres still plenty Im sure for everyone to pickup. We finally after all these years , get new trek figures, after only hoping for a crew member, and a reversed cheron from Emce. Im sure there is more to come. Guys these really are pocket/spare change toys to buy, so just simply enjoy them, they are just fun pieces of plastic

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            right there with you, love the fact that the werewolf will be a different new character instead of another Wolfman that we already have. And that Lugosi Dracula that the OP is returning out of spite is ridiculous. Its hands down the best Mego type figure this year and almost the best one of the revival so far. Not to mention the only Lugosi Mego in wide release.
            I'm not returning Dracula out of spite...that's you making an incorrect assumption. I simply don't want to collect the new figures, so why not give him to someone else here who does? Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
            Last edited by enyawd72; Oct 23, '18, 8:20 AM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

I agree with most of what you say, some of the quality issues do bother me as well. That is, indeed, a disappointment to perfectionists (like myself). Like the buttons on Dracula's vest, or the rather wonky way the vest is cut.
              But these new figures are a mass market product at a low, accessible price range. That's the target audience.
              This does allow a large group of people (such as kids) to enjoy them, without having to think about value. I'm hoping the company tweaks some of these things, like Kirk's rather odd paint apps, and some of the materials used. Sadly, that does mean that some characters will only get these first series "experiments", and probably not a more finished one in later series.
              I just pick one here and there, because, living in Europe, I still pay closer to $22-24 per figure. And that only because a kind collector friend helps me out (for which I am so grateful). International shipping (and customs) still add up, so I have to be selective, and we have no Target stores here.

But I still enjoy ripping my Dracula off the card and letting him fly. Honestly, I cannot afford high range figure anymore, so this way, at least, I get to have some childlike fun.

And sometimes I am disappointed, yes. I was hoping for a Mark Lenard Romulan (based on the photo on the cards), and got another re-issue of the previous ones. I know, they are helping out people who missed the EMCE, but hey, I DIDN'T miss the EMCE! Or the vintage one!

I but do feel we can share our concerns here, constructive criticism, so that maybe our voices can help evolve Mego to a higher level. Respectful opinions always help, and I do understand that these aren't for you. When I see your model work, I see perfection. No wonder that these new Megos aren't your thing.
              Last edited by Gorn Captain; Oct 23, '18, 8:19 AM.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                I'm not returning Dracula out of spite...that's you making an incorrect assumption. I simply don't want to collect the new figures, so why not give him to someone else here who does? Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
                I don't think you're returning it out of spite but i am curious as to why you'd return something gifted to you. Personally, i can take one figure i like out of a pile I don't and be happy with it, I don't need everything.

Is it a completist thing?
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

For myself, I buy characters I like in a style of product that charms me. Who makes them is not as relevant as the product inside the packaging. So if there is a line I don't like, be it character selection or general appearance, I don't need to factor in any other measures, because those won't matter if I don't like the product sitting on my shelves.

Mego's resurrection (in the mass market) has been a fun experience from a nostalgic perspective. But it's also been an incredibly divisive moment, because it's unveiled a deep seated resentment from some who didn't like paying higher prices in niche markets, where mass market pricing was not realistic. And while I would be the first to say its been fun paying less for some of these figures, it hasn't changed my standards on what I buy.

I think Brian strikes a STRONG observation in saying it shouldn't be about being "right", since all of this is subjective. But it's equally compelling to hear people offer up price point as the number one compliment to this new product. It's very telling after listening to them bash other lines based on a mythical standard that is noticeably absent here for similar or worse quality issues. To me that's a rabbit hole no one needs to go down since Mego would be chained to the same prices (like FTC or EMCE) if they had to enter that smaller market place with the EXACT same product in tow. So allot of praise seems to stem from seeing the product through their wallets and less about the product itself.

Right now I'm buying the characters I like from Mego that are appealing to me, just like any other company that would make them. I could care less if they are $30, $20, $10, or even $5.00 as long as I LIKE THEM. But those prices also don't move me if I DON'T LIKE THEM. And it doesn't matter if Mego made them, EMCE, FTC, or Bif Bang Pow. So to me being right is not just about making a purchase, but being honest with yourself about why you're buying it. I'm not going to buy a Alice doll because it's $10, if I don't want an Alice doll in the first place. If she pops up in a Thrift store for $6.00, that's not going to change my mind. So I think there's allot of people getting sucked into the price novelty right now, that might feel differently later if they're snatching up stuff they don't really like.

I'm honestly looking forward to 2019 when it comes to Mego. Presently, I think they're hogtied to weak licensing and horrible distribution issues that only sprinkle waves 2 and 3 into select markets. This has enriched scalpers and deprived fans of any true retail experience. My fingers are crossed that 2019 will see all new stores and all new product lines that offer a better selection of characters. And I'm not worried about the prices for next year as much as selection and availability. So if they get that figured out, they'll get allot of my money just like any company who gets it right. But I'm going to measure Mego like I do any other company. A cheaper price and nostalgic brand name doesn't have a say in that assessment.

Comment

• doink1
                    • Jul 31, 2014

I just think the execution of the launch has been horrific. I worry about the line. I travel the whole state of Oregon with my job. I stop in most of the Targets. What started out as nice endcaps has now deteriorated to series 1 and some series two in the Marvel area. Sometimes you have to go to the Funko section to find the 14 inch figures. If you ask the Target employees, most will tell you that this stuff is just taking up space and it’s being DC’d. I love that Mego has returned... but partnering with Target may have been a losing proposition.

Comment

• Psykodelik Vampyre
                      Museum Patron
                      • Jan 22, 2018

My only real complaint is the way that Target’s dropped the ball on getting these figures to be available, except of course, for all the scalpers on eBay!
                      Last edited by Psykodelik Vampyre; Oct 23, '18, 2:37 PM. Reason: Misspelled
                      https://www.reverbnation.com/psykodelikvampyres

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                        I don't think you're returning it out of spite but i am curious as to why you'd return something gifted to you. Personally, i can take one figure i like out of a pile I don't and be happy with it, I don't need everything.

Is it a completist thing?
                        Not really...I've just lost all interest in these things. Why not give it to someone who really wants it in their collection?

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                          For myself, I buy characters I like in a style of product that charms me. Who makes them is not as relevant as the product inside the packaging.
                          And while I would be the first to say its been fun paying less for some of these figures, it hasn't changed my standards on what I buy.
                          THIS. I can't excuse obvious quality issues just because these figures have the Mego name on them and are less expensive. My standards and expectations are what they are. That doesn't mean I think FTC is any better. I sold off the entire first wave of Flash figures right after I bought them because of quality issues. Price is NEVER a deciding factor for me, nor is brand. ALL I care about is quality, and I'm just not seeing it.

Comment

• RonnyG
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by MIB41
                            Right now I'm buying the characters I like from Mego that are appealing to me, just like any other company that would make them. I could care less if they are $30, $20, $10, or even $5.00 as long as I LIKE THEM. But those prices also don't move me if I DON'T LIKE THEM. And it doesn't matter if Mego made them, EMCE, FTC, or Bif Bang Pow. So to me being right is not just about making a purchase, but being honest with yourself about why you're buying it. I'm not going to buy a Alice doll because it's $10, if I don't want an Alice doll in the first place. If she pops up in a Thrift store for $6.00, that's not going to change my mind. So I think there's allot of people getting sucked into the price novelty right now, that might feel differently later if they're snatching up stuff they don't really like.
                            I have to agree with you here. I learned my lesson from past experience about 20 years ago when Target carried the Exclusive Premiere action figure line, I purchased most of them when they came out, and some more when they were discounted. After the novelty wore off, I realized I really didn't want them. I just got sucked into the novelty like you said. I eventually unloaded them on ebay. Now I'm being very selective about which figures I'm buying.

Comment

• JillyBeanSSF
                              • Sep 5, 2018

Originally posted by enyawd72
                              ALL I care about is quality, and I'm just not seeing it.
                              I agree wholeheartedly...

This is unacceptable at ANY price point! (the other side of her head is stained black)

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

This is common to many dolls featuring vinyl heads and plastic parts. It is seen on GI Joes as well. It is not per se a "symptom" of poor quality but instead occurs from contact. It can be seen on vintage and modern toys alike.

It's distressing, but changing a fabric or adding a lining is not necessarily a guarantee against it.
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎