Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I'm pretty disgusted with the new Mego.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tllgn
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 6, 2010

^^^ i agree .i will get all of them ....in time .considering that orignally were going to be the months of aug,oct,dec when released as was with wave one .we are actually getting wave 3 early ,even if their
    coming out errtically .wave 3 was gonna come out dec at first ,so finding some of them now is kinda early .maybe its targets way to keep the line fresh .although i dont know why various target locations
    are not getting them .i am enjoying the ride .of course i am still looking for various figures .and doing satisfactory in completing the waves .getting closer ( baby steps ) just love that mego at retail .

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 25, 2018

“The Hunt” is the worse/best. It stinks when you find nothing, feel like you wasted gas, wasted time, and just wish everything could be found online. It’s awesome when you find something and you get that rush. It’s even better when you meet someone else who is out looking to. Get to talk shop for a little bit and if you keep bumping into them you can exchange numbers so if anything is found shoot them a text or grab it for them. And I really like coming on here and seeing when members find the megos they want. It is better to know that people who enjoy this hobby are finding them then some scalper.

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Makernaut
        I am completely happy with every single New Mego I have bought, to this point. I think the value is exceptional when balanced against the price point. Pretty freaking remarkable, in fact. I've passed on a bunch because I have zero interest in the property...just like I did when Mego was in its first incarnation.

The frustration with Target's distribution has created that thing we all know as "The Hunt". That thing we act like we hate, but on balance, it is the weird itch we all love to scratch because it creates stories. In the long run, that's what gives things meaning. Especially, silly sh*t like this that to be honest, has no inherent meaning. Look at the life it is pumping into this board! "Who has found this?" "What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?" I love going out to look and I love reading what you all have found, just as I love reporting what I have seen and bought. I am caught up in this like all of you are, but we all have to remember that not having something "NOW" does not equal "I will never have it".

And please don't read that as me presuming to lecture people that are my peers. I have to tell myself the same thing and that's why I have formulated these thoughts.
        I share these thoughts.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
          One eyed, wonder
          • Dec 17, 2009

I understand that Mego 2018 has it's critics. I intend to be one of them. I'm just waiting out my time to do so. It's just that right now, I'm enjoying the return of Mego, and loving so much of their new products. They got all my toy money this year.

enyawd72, is that Drac still on card?

Comment

• powersthatbe
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 27, 2010

what's funny I would likely spend 25 dollars or so on the new megos if they were that price,but damn the same price as a basic star wars or wrestling figure?just terrific.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

^Absolutely.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                what's funny I would likely spend 25 dollars or so on the new megos if they were that price,but damn the same price as a basic star wars or wrestling figure?just terrific.
                Yes. Agreed. $12-$15 is the sweet spot. I hope no matter what happens from here on out that they are able to keep it at or very near this price point. I can certainly say that buying doubles and triples of figures I like (and even purchases of figures I don't want or need for custom parts) stops the minute these hit FTC prices.

Other than the poor distribution, I've been very happy with Mego's relaunch.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                  Persistent Member
                  • Oct 3, 2007

I love the new Mego's. In my opinion they say "Toys are Back!!!" Even though Mego's is going the collectible route by numbering the items, These are more Play-worthy than the "Collectibles" being offered on the toy-shelves today. Like others have stated here, Original Mego's were far from perfect. Kids did not mind. The New Mego's are a return to the TOY!!! I would love to hand a few of these over to kids and watch them play with the 8" action figures the way we did when we were kids. I think Mego Corp hit it outta the park. To me these are not a reissue or reproduction of the old Mego Line but more a belated continuation. I consider the New Mego 8" bodies to be Type 3 bodies rather than a poor attempt to copy the old body style. Just like Type 0 and Type 1 bodies evolved into the Type 2 bodies.
                  Summing it all up. I think New Mego has reminded us here of a very important thing. Toys are better than collectibles!!! The New Mego's say " Hey lets Play!!!" while the other collectibles on the shelves next to the m say " Don't touch me...just put me on a shelf and admire me less I lose my value."
                  Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                  MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

I'm kind of curious to know if besides the folks right here, how popular are the new megos with those who weren't around
                    back in the 70's (the rest of the public) and or didn't grow up watching the tv shows we grew up with? I'm thinking okay maybe the heroes are selling because of the recent movies in the theater, so kids might buy the 14" Superman, Batman, etc.

But how well are figures like, Facts of Life, Bewitched, Charlies Angels, Charmed, etc doing with kids today?

I only ask this because I have 2 Targets in my area, and both are over stocked with female peg warmers for weeks on out
                    but the 14" heroes seem to be selling pretty well, I've even seen the likes of Greg Brady and Happy Days Ritchie and Star Child hanging on the pegs for a while, but there's usually only 1-2 of those sitting there, but the fact is they don't seem to be hot items.

it's like Marty brought back megos for (our) benefit and hoped that they would catch on with the next generation and there kids too. According to my finds, the 14" heroes, Trek and Monsters are selling and everything else is just not as popular
                    unless the peg warmers are selling better on the website?

Comment

• VulcansFury
                      Museum Patron
                      • Mar 6, 2014

I thought a lot of the properties were asked for by Target specifically. Target had a sell-out with Funko's Golden Girls 3 3/4inch figures and they are chasing that nostalgia market.

I think its a mistake that Facts Of Life, Charmed, etc are in the boys aisle. They pegwarm there. If anything the format will continue with more Trek and monsters while I expect sitcom figures to become less prominent. Kids today are not clamoring for an Alice figure.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by VulcansFury
                        I thought a lot of the properties were asked for by Target specifically. Target had a sell-out with Funko's Golden Girls 3 3/4inch figures and they are chasing that nostalgia market.

I think its a mistake that Facts Of Life, Charmed, etc are in the boys aisle. They pegwarm there. If anything the format will continue with more Trek and monsters while I expect sitcom figures to become less prominent. Kids today are not clamoring for an Alice figure.
                        You'd have thought Mego would have learned their lesson from back in their heyday...they licensed a lot of shows that were popular at the time but simply weren't right for toys. Love Boat, Laverne and Shirley, etc. Their bread & butter was always superheroes, monsters, apes, and Trek.
                        Last time I was at Target I picked up a Gorn...beautiful figure. But there was no sign of new stock being put out because the hooks were absolutely full of Facts of Life, Charmed, Cheers and nobody buying them.

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by enyawd72
                          You'd have thought Mego would have learned their lesson from back in their heyday...they licensed a lot of shows that were popular at the time but simply weren't right for toys. Love Boat, Laverne and Shirley, etc. Their bread & butter was always superheroes, monsters, apes, and Trek.
                          Last time I was at Target I picked up a Gorn...beautiful figure. But there was no sign of new stock being put out because the hooks were absolutely full of Facts of Life, Charmed, Cheers and nobody buying them.
                          Quoted for truth. The sitcom characters are just a bad idea.
                          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by VulcansFury

I think its a mistake that Facts Of Life, Charmed, etc are in the boys aisle. They pegwarm there.
                            They will peg warm anywhere. Golden Girls is a unique case. The show has a massive fanbase with a ravenous appetite for merch. The vast majority of sitcoms don't have that kind of appeal.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Eric
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jan 11, 2008

Sometimes I get so annoyed seeing the same peg warmers time after time I consider buying them all, just to see what they're replaced with (and then returning all the ones I bought). Haven't done it, but it could be interesting (One clerk to another: "Hey, anybody got any replacement Alices and Samantha's? All I see is this Star Trek and monster stuff back here!")

Comment

• sprytel
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 26, 2009

Now that is not entirely fair. Mego also sold a lot of Fonzies and Dukes and CHiPs...

But in this case, I think some of the pegwarmer figures are intended as such. I suspect for some of the more lucrative licenses, they needed to establish their track record by producing a number of figures across a number of product lines. If Marvel says, "after you have made your first 50 figures, we can discuss giving you the 8-inch license"... which, for the record, I have no idea if anyone has said such a thing... but I choose to believe it is just a tactical decision to mine those cheap licenses and build a product backlog in order to land those bigger fish.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎