X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Likenesses and the Monster Line

With the images surfacing of Lon Chaney as the Screaming Werewolf, it seems one way the new Mego can work with likenesses is in fact to make deals through the estates of the actors and not through direct licensing of Universal Horror. If this means getting some unique offerings, then I think that makes for a nice "work around." Besides Lugosi as "Broadway Dracula" and Lon Jr. as "a Werewolf, not the Wolfman," what might we be able to see through similar inventive steps? Personally, I'd like to see the John Carradine Dracula, and his look in the two house films was repeated in Billy the Kid Vs. Dracula. Also, if they can work with Sarah Karloff for the rights to her father's image, I'd love to see a Baron Victor Von Frankenstein from Frankenstein 1970. That would give a very distinctive looking version of the mad scientist as well.

What other "near hits" might there be?
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Here's the movie if anyone hasn't seen it
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
      Career Member
      • Sep 5, 2005

How abut the monsters from "Chabelo y Pepito contra los Monstruos", or at least the Creature? That sure would thrill me!

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
        Career Member
        • Nov 22, 2011

I'm not too picky. I'd like to see accurate sculpts of original universal monsters, The Addam's family, Munsters and Elvira.
        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

They could do Chaney Jr as the Frankenstein Monster from "Tales of Tomorrow". His look presages DeNiro's monster. Unfortunately Lon was so drunk during this live broadcast he thought he was still in dress rehearsal stage, and didn't bang up the breakaway sets like he was supposed to.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I'm so in on the idea of doing sideways monsters, it's unreal. Sure, I love the Universal Monsters dearly but I've got some and they're great, I want more oddball/obscure Mummies, Vampires and Frankensteins please.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toothaction
              Career Member
              • Jul 15, 2017

Lake of Dracula, haha!

Bring on Shin Kishida, STAT!
              >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I still don't get how they got Frankenstein past Universal. Even with the bolts gone that's still flat out Universal's Jack Pierce design. The flat head, forehead clamps, scar going down the right side, etc. that's all Universal trademarks. Just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I don't get risking it.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

I've never been much into the monsters, unless they were meeting Abbott & Costello, but derivatives like The Munsters, and non-monsters like the Addams Family would definitely interest me!

Comment

• Mary Canary
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 21, 2017

I'd be down for some Dark Shadows figures, especially if they throw in an Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters figure (or else I have to get another chick from the Charmed set).
                    Who did the Star Trek remake figures - EMCE?
                    Didn't they also do the Dark Shadows figures?
                    If so, what are the chances that they'll reuse the molds and release a new version of Barnabas?
                    Or Angelique in the white dress from House of Dark Shadows?

I'd also love a Bride, but as Werewolf pointed out elsewhere, Elsa Lanchester didn't have any heirs so her likeness is exclusive to Universal.
                    (Did I get that right?)

Comment

• Count_Popula
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Aug 28, 2018

How about either a Nosferatu or Master from Salem's Lot? Either one (they are very similar) would look wicked cool alongside the other monsters. And I wonder if Hammer stuff is possible? A Christopher Lee Dracula, anyone?

Comment

• 8 Skeins of Danger
                        • Oct 17, 2018

Since the Lugosi Dracula Mego is such a hit..how about a Lugosi White Zombie?

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                          I'd be down for some Dark Shadows figures, especially if they throw in an Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters figure (or else I have to get another chick from the Charmed set).
                          Who did the Star Trek remake figures - EMCE?
                          Didn't they also do the Dark Shadows figures?
                          If so, what are the chances that they'll reuse the molds and release a new version of Barnabas?
                          Or Angelique in the white dress from House of Dark Shadows?

I'd also love a Bride, but as Werewolf pointed out elsewhere, Elsa Lanchester didn't have any heirs so her likeness is exclusive to Universal.
                          (Did I get that right?)
                          Yes, I want Dark Shadows figures, too! Hopefully, they will reuse the Barnabas and Angelique molds like you said. However, if they can't get the other actors' likenesses, I can see them reusing the Peg Bundy mold for Dr. Julia Hoffman (in a lab coat), maybe Kris Munroe for Carolyn (in a mini-skirt), Piper for Victoria Winters, and Phoebe for Maggie. An auburn-haired Samantha in a longer black dress could be an Eve look-alike. My mind is spinning with the possibilities.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by RonnyG
                            Yes, I want Dark Shadows figures, too! Hopefully, they will reuse the Barnabas and Angelique molds like you said. However, if they can't get the other actors' likenesses, I can see them reusing the Peg Bundy mold for Dr. Julia Hoffman (in a lab coat), maybe Kris Munroe for Carolyn (in a mini-skirt), Piper for Victoria Winters, and Phoebe for Maggie. An auburn-haired Samantha in a longer black dress could be an Eve look-alike. My mind is spinning with the possibilities.
                            They could repurpose the Kate Jackson Sabrina figure as Kate Jackson Tracy Collins, LOL.
                            Only I think the Kelly Garrett looks more like Kate Jackson.

Comment

• RonnyG
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 23, 2014

Yes, even if they just get the period outfits right, like Tracy Collins' 19th century gown, then I probably wouldn't complain too much about the facial likenesses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎