X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The lost art of the mix tape.

What songs do you remember putting on your mix tapes?

One of my earlier ones.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

I was (and still am) more of an album guy, so I usually just taped an entire album onto a cassette for listening in the car or on my walkman. If I still had room left on the tape, I would usually add another song or two from the same artist, guess I was a bit OCD that way.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I make playlists like crazy on iTunes and Amazon Music, so it's not really lost, just evolved.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        I make playlists like crazy on iTunes and Amazon Music, so it's not really lost, just evolved.

Chris
        That's true, I have made some playlists on Spotify, hell of a lot easier than making a mixtape!

Comment

• acrovader
          Career Member
          • Jan 19, 2011

Chris
          Exactly. I used to make mix tapes all the time in the 80's and 90's. But iTunes have changed everything for me.
          I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Having said that bout Playlists, I found some old mixtapes I had, and I was kind of embarrassed by some of the stuff I recorded. Lots of bad hair band stuff I wouldn't give the time of day now. Damn you MTV!!! Steelheart...really?

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• toothaction
              Career Member
              • Jul 15, 2017

Half the fun of making mixtapes was selecting the perfect back-to-back jammies and mastering the perfect pause technique to match them up with the exact amount of pause between 'em, the other half was breaking out the scissors and glue stick to paste up the insert just right. Man, I miss those countless hours.

What's an iTune?
              >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

.......and I was kind of embarrassed by some of the stuff I recorded. Lots of bad hair band stuff I wouldn't give the time of day now.

Chris
                A couple of my friends and I JUST had a discussion along these lines where we all expressed remorse for having been caught up in the late 80's and early 90's crappy hair-band-of-the-moment kind of listening. So don't feel alone in that embarrassment.

Edited to add: I don't regret being caught up in New Wave and Punk immediately prior to "hair bands" so I'll gladly admit to putting those kind of tunes on a mix tape back in the day.
                Last edited by Makernaut; Oct 19, '18, 2:42 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I found some old mixtapes I had, and I was kind of embarrassed by some of the stuff I recorded.
                  I regret nothing!!

Not even this.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I can remember doing my own artwork for them. My then girlfriend would get "The Beauty and the Beast Mix" or "The Garfield Mix", etc.

I wish I'd saved some of my custom collages also. I did one for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan that was a bit of a decoupage masterpiece. Although it wasn't a mix tape, just a cassette dub of the LP. But still, custom art.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

I mostly had albums. I made mix CDs later on. My friends gave me some mix tapes, though. I remember messing around a little with a recorder. A long time ago, someone I know recorded the opening of Bridge On The River Kwai onto audio cassette. Had a little Art Bell taped too.

That Men Without Hats album had a weird Antarctica song on it! Ha!, ha! I liked it.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

Not lost on me! I still have several cassette recorders, (including my classroom), and a co-worker gave me a stockpile of new cassette tapes. Old school all the way!
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍