X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Obibob
    I think that was Chilly Willy. Lots of great childhood memories from Sears: I got my first Major Matt Mason figure, the AMT Star Trek Klingon Cruiser model kit (long box), and the G.I. Joe Adventure Team “The Fate of the Trouble Shooter” set just to name a few favorites. Later on, I always went there for Craftsman tools and bought my first major appliances there just based on the Kenmore brand alone. Sorry to see them go as they were an American retail institution for well over a hundred years, but they did it to themselves as the chain hasn’t been fit to shop in for decades. If you think about it, they were the Amazon of the 60’s and 70’s.
    Heck,I read they use to sell houses way back when,so they were waaay ahead of Amazon on quite a few things.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by jwyblejr
      Heck,I read they use to sell houses way back when,so they were waaay ahead of Amazon on quite a few things.
      Indeed! In fact, I just saw a news story this week from OKC and the guy mentioned the affordable housing his group was building was very similar to the old Sears and Roebuck Bungalows.

http://www.arts-crafts.com/archive/sears/

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Makernaut
        Indeed! In fact, I just saw a news story this week from OKC and the guy mentioned the affordable housing his group was building was very similar to the old Sears and Roebuck Bungalows.

http://www.arts-crafts.com/archive/sears/
        Some of my family live in an Illinois town called Carlinville. It has a neighborhood of Sears Robuck mail order homes. I believe that CBS’s Sunday Morning did a story on this neighborhood a few years ago.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
          Some of my family live in an Illinois town called Carlinville. It has a neighborhood of Sears Robuck mail order homes. I believe that CBS’s Sunday Morning did a story on this neighborhood a few years ago.

- Ian
          That is so cool. I love that kind of history.

I was looking at some of the designs and I am fairly certain I could drive around in an afternoon and take pictures to post of a couple of houses in the older part of my town that would match some of those Sears designs perfectly.

Here is a link to the news story I mentioned. The exact words were "Craftsman style designs", but that is a direct reference to the Sears homes that were mentioned. Think "Craftsman Tools" because that's what became their trademark.

http://www.news9.com/story/39279027/...s-to-okc-metro

It's interesting to think, with mention of Amazon and Walmart being the demise of Sears, that historically, Sears was the demise of many small town business, too, in its day.

Comment

• megomania
            Persistent Member
            • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
            ^ That triggers a vague memory for me. I seem to remember old cartoons and one was the penguin...chilly silly or something like that. I couldn’t tell you were the booth was, I was too young, but it very well could have been at Sears.

- Ian

EDIT: I think we are both thinking of a Kiddierama booth:

Man those booths were awesome...I could have lived in one of those. So much fun.

-Chris

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
              Sears went belly up in Canada last year, screwing their employees but giving their executives bonuses. If they had have survived, I'd have stopped shopping there.

Nothing but fond childhood memories there and I was a regular shopper there. It was quiet.

^^ THIS - my wife's best friend was a service dispatching supervisor there for 10+ years, let go just before she was going on maternity leave. The last year has been a crazy financial struggle for them.

Having said that, I bought all my appliences from them a few years ago. The prices and payment plan was great. I barely needed to shop around.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Good Lord, that Kiddierama booth.

I don't recall those, but what a delight! I'd love to build one for my home.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Geez, I'd forgotten about all of those cartoon booths! I have no idea where I sat in one, but I know I did...somewhere.

We had a Sears Catalog store in our town. My Mom went there to pick up most of our birthday and Christmas gifts. She was a HUGE catalog buyer.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 8, 2015

the sears Xmas catalog was always a joy to look at, and it is very sad, that it has gone the way it has, felt the same way with WOOLWORTH's.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Brazoo
                      ^^ THIS - my wife's best friend was a service dispatching supervisor there for 10+ years, let go just before she was going on maternity leave. The last year has been a crazy financial struggle for them.
                      Oh man, that really sucks. Sears Canada really screwed their long time workers, while the folks at the top got some fat severance packages. That's why I refused to step inside one of their stores after all this went down (not hard to do, as their "clearance" sales were a joke anyway).

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎