X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

16 Magazine & KISS

Did you guys ever read these magazines? I'm sure Hardy girl read them exclusively for the Rick Springfield stories and posters hahaha. However, I used to read them exclusively for KISS!!
    pssst.. I used to rip out the posters of kiss and bring them home and tape them to my wall!!!!

sigpic
  • ZMOQ
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jun 1, 2010

Originally posted by glimpy
    Did you guys ever read these magazines? I'm sure Hardy girl read them exclusively for the Rick Springfield stories and posters hahaha. However, I used to read them exclusively for KISS!!
    pssst.. I used to rip out the posters of kiss and bring them home and tape them to my wall!!!!

Hah hah! Well, yes, we did have an occasional 16 Magazine in the house, but they had an awful lot about the Bay City Rollers, Leif Garrett (who looked like a little boy) and Shaun Cassidy. They'd only occasionally have Kiss, and even then, I knew that 16 Magazine was a bunch of fluff. So I spent my money on "Circus" magazine. "Creem" was too snarky and smarty-pants, so I'd only occasionally buy those. "Rolling Stone" *HATED* Kiss at the time, but looking back now, I realize that RS was meant for grownups.
    Last edited by ZMOQ; Oct 14, '18, 8:47 PM.

Comment

• glimpy
      Loco Chango
      • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by ZMOQ
      Hah hah! Well, yes, we did have an occasional 16 Magazine in the house, but they had an awful lot about the Bay City Rollers, Leif Garrett (who looked like a little boy) and Shaun Cassidy. They'd only occasionally have Kiss, and even then, I knew that 16 Magazine was a bunch of fluff. So I spent my money on "Circus" magazine. "Creem" was too snarky and smarty-pants, so I'd only occasionally buy those. "Rolling Stone" *HATED* Kiss at the time, but looking back now, I realize that RS was meant for grownups.
      hahaha that's awesome
      Last edited by glimpy; Oct 14, '18, 11:57 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
        Loco Chango
        • Feb 5, 2012

Well, in that case I'll send you another goody

sigpic

Comment

• ZMOQ
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jun 1, 2010

Well, in that case I'll send you another goody

Yikes!!! That's EXACTLY what I was talking about! Brings back a lot of memories! My brother and I used to deface the inner pages of "16 Magazine"... drawing glasses and beards on them, writing our own cartoon balloon captions, etc. We even (sadly) defaced one of the original Marvel Kiss comic books... printed in real blood!

"16" had this art of writing full-page "articles" that were remarkably content-free. No actual news or info. Just a lot of fluff that was somehow stretched into multiple paragraphs!

I don't recall who Joey T was. And don'tcha love it when the blurbs list all those teeny bopper idols by first name only? Scott (Baio), Willie ?, Jimmy (McNichol), Tony (Orlando?), Robby (Benson?), Erik (Estrada), Mork (Robin Williams), Virgin (rock band associated with Kiss), Greg (Evigan?), Peter ?

Comment

• glimpy
            Loco Chango
            • Feb 5, 2012

Oh wow that's hilarious you guys turned those magazines into Mad Magazines. Hahaha as far as kiss comic, do you know how much those things are worth nowadays? Who would have ever known. Yep those were definitely the Good ol Days.
            sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, I remember buying some issues of 16 that had KISS on the cover. My favorite mags were the ones that almost totally focused on KISS, I still have a couple of those from when I was a kid, although they are beat to hell at this point.

Bah, Rolling Stone always thought they were too cool for the room. They spent most of the 70's slagging Led Zeppelin too, but they've really changed their opinion on that band, as well as other bands that were too popular in the 70's so that RS thought they weren't "cool". I always liked Creem myself, they were one of KISS' earliest supporters, plus they had Lester Bangs.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

^ You had me until Lester Bangs. He was a real jerk. Lol

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah he was, but I admit that I like a lot of his reviews.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

^ Since I am James Twylor freak, I didn’t care for Lester much, but I know a lot of people appreciated his reviews. I’m not sure why he decided to zero in on James and displayed so much animus toward him. They didn’t know each other. I guess Lester was just like that.

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 12, 2004

I still vividly remember the shame I felt each and every time I bought a copy of 16.

By 1980, 16 was the only magazine that still featured articles about KISS. That's where I learned that Peter Criss was out of KISS. It was also the first place I saw pics of KISS wearing the new costumes for The Elder.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 12, 2004

Comment

• glimpy
                          Loco Chango
                          • Feb 5, 2012

Those black and white pictures look like the time of the album The Elder
                          sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                            That is awesome, as a big Elder fan, I love stuff like this as there was barely any promotion done for it at the time.

Those black and white pictures look like the time of the album The Elder
                            Um yeah, the article in the scan mentions that very thing. Although them calling Elder a "smash LP" was a tad incorrect.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 1, 2005

Yes, I got my first 16 Magazine when I was only five years old in 1978, I would buy the issues somewhat regularly and by 1980 my parents got me a subscription to it. I was (and still kinda am) a massive KISS fan and I guess they figured that magazine was safer to buy me than something like Creem, which by that point rarely featured KISS anyhow. By '80 I was also a big fan of Cheap Trick, Journey, Rick Springfield, etc., so I was pretty happy with 16 Magazine. I wound up keeping the subscription going until around 1985, mainly because I would trade the various pinups of Duran Duran etc. with the girls in my school for their Motley Crue, Ratt, Scorpions, pinups that they'd get in various rock/pop magazines. It was a good system! haha I still collect the old magazines, I have quite a few of these from 1977 thru 1984.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎