Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

******Simon Buckley aka The Grip: enemy of the Batman co-created by Dean Haspiel*****

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

******Simon Buckley aka The Grip: enemy of the Batman co-created by Dean Haspiel*****

Dean Haspiel is an artist and the brother of Customego Hall of Fame member Mike Haspiel. In Dean's recent tribute to the dearly departed Batman artist Norm Breyfogle he mentions that as a "strapping young lad of 20 years" he earned the honor of penciling and inking the "Bonus Book" in Detective Comics 589.

His words: "The first DC Comic I was ever published in was a ‘bonus book’ in the middle of Detective Comics #589 (came out May 3, 1988). I was not ready for prime time (and I’m still not). My Batman story featured Poison Ivy and a new character I co-created called The Grip. The main Batman feature was drawn by Norm Breyfogle, who passed away at age 58 on Monday. He was one of my favorite Batman artists. RIP Norm.

Here’s the cover I penciled & inked for the Bonus Book in Detective Comics #589, published in May, 1988. My first work for DC Comics, 30 years ago."

As you all know, I am always looking for obscure villains to create as custom Megos. Well, I was inspired to create a custom Mego of The Grip as drawn by Dean Haspiel.

Here are some panels from the issue that help tell his back story:

My custom Mego Simon Buckley aka The Grip is built on a Mego Type 2 body with Castaway "grip" hands coated in gold Plasti Dip; head is an FTC Steve Trevor head; shoes from CTVT; suit also from CTVT and dyed orange with Rit Dye Tangerine.

with his dearest love Poison Ivy (suit by the late Mike Barrett)

uh oh! Mego Batman is horning in on his woman!

Poison Ivy with her two best men: Bane and The Grip

BIG Thanks to Dean Haspiel for the inspiration!

I hope you enjoy my customs as much as I do, and, as always, thanks for looking!

Peace, Love, and Megos!

Austin
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

I never heard of the Grip, but man, he looks spot on! That Poison Ivy and Bane are pretty spiffy too!

It must be painful when he wants to... um... you know... No wonder he is so angry.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Perfectly effective custom and nice connection. I miss Mike, one of the nicest collectors out there.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I like the figure, but I love the backstory. It's both clever and considerate of you, Austin.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Great looking custom and the Trevor head works really well with this, I'm not firmilar with the character either, but it's always great seeing obscure customs being done. Great custom and great backstory too.

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

Awesome as always.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• newlyknighted
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 21, 2010

Your customs are always well presented and fun Austin. Great story and tribute on Norm and Dean.
              I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• mjaycox
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 16, 2008

Norm Breyfogle is dead??

Damn :(

He was my favorite Batman artist-- I used to copy his drawings all the time as a middle schooler and freshman in high school

That breaks my heart

Lovely custom, btw

Matt
                Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!

Comment

• Grimjohn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 28, 2011

Great tribute and fantastic custom!
                  My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• noelani72
                    27inaleon
                    • Jun 25, 2002

that's a great story and perfectly executed figure.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎