X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    Is Target treating this as a new toy line or a new collectable line? Usually don't see stuff selling as collectables discounted so quickly.

I get the impression it’s being treated as a toy line looking for a price point that will find a much larger buying audience.
    Where it seems to be backwards is most stores are hanging on to wave one, instead of cutting that out to let wave two breath.

Right now wave two has no majority presence. It’s simply sprinkled in with the bulk still belonging to wave one. You’re not giving the buying public an incentive to look for new product if it’s nonexistent or hidden behind old. We’re starting the third week of Wave Two officially being out, and I haven’t seen a third of the offered characters in stores. I have six Targets in my town. It’s weird that they all exhibit the same issues with this product.
    Last edited by MIB41; Oct 14, '18, 6:56 PM.

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

Target doesn't discount toy lines regularly like this either, BTW.

I think MIB41 is right, this seems to be Target trying to find a price point that Mego will sell at. Which, IMO, isn't a great sign, but perhaps at least a show of faith that Target wants to explore this more.

The problem, is always, as it has been from the moment this was announced, the licenses. You can mark Peggy Bundy down to $9, but most people still don't want a Peggy Bundy. And Peg ain't alone. They want Frankenstein. They want Gorn. They want Dracula.

I know that supposedly Target had a hand in requesting these licenses, and if so, then they share the blame, but ultimately there ARE Mego figures that are popular and selling... But there's two to three times that amount of dead weight. Hard to be a success that way, but maybe they'll find a magic price point.

Comment

• generic
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 25, 2009

I stopped by a Target in a different part of town looking for Frankenstein. After reading this thread, I scanned an Action Jackson just to check the price. At $10.52 after tax, I picked up AJ and another Dracula. What a deal! Thank you all for the info on the sale!
        Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• BrentIsAngry
          • Oct 11, 2018

Originally posted by MIB41
          Price checked mine in Louisville and they're all scanning $9.74 now for 8 inch and $14.99 for the 14 inch.
          Hey, I'm in Louisville too! I have yet to find Frank, Gorn, or Spock, and I've hit all of the Targets nearby. Hope you're having better luck than me.

Comment

• Eric
            Museum Patron
            • Jan 11, 2008

I picked up a Richie and Gorn today at the East Greenbush, NY Target. What they have of Wave 2 is mostly in the inner aisle; they have mostly Wave 1 items on an endcap. From Wave 2 what they have left includes a couple of Gorns, some Samanthas and Kris Munroes, a couple of Jeannie and Wizard of Oz sets, and various 14" figures. If you set the inflation calculator to Sept. 1976 (probably my peak original Mego collecting period) those $9.74 figures come out to about $2.11 each. Were there sales at around that price back then? It doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by BrentIsAngry
              Hey, I'm in Louisville too! I have yet to find Frank, Gorn, or Spock, and I've hit all of the Targets nearby. Hope you're having better luck than me.
              Found Frank at the Taylorsville Road location but as of last night they only had two Samantha’s from Wave two and some of the 14 inch assortment. Found Gorn at the Westport road location ( by Gene Snyder) about a week ago. I have not seen Spock anywhere. The Targets on Bardstown road and outer loop have mostly wave one as of last night. Outer loop is your best option for the 14 inch. Middletown has been a fat zero across the board.

St Matthews has been slow to get anything new in as well. It’s been painfully stagnant as opposed to Wave One which rolled in pretty steady everywhere once the resets were completed. This time they’ve done the resets but wave two is mostly absent.

Comment

• BrentIsAngry
                • Oct 11, 2018

Originally posted by MIB41
                Found Frank at the Taylorsville Road location but as of last night they only had two Samantha’s from Wave two and some of the 14 inch assortment. Found Gorn at the Westport road location ( by Gene Snyder) about a week ago. I have not seen Spock anywhere. The Targets on Bardstown road and outer loop have mostly wave one as of last night. Outer loop is your best option for the 14 inch. Middletown has been a fat zero across the board.

St Matthews has been slow to get anything new in as well. It’s been painfully stagnant as opposed to Wave One which rolled in pretty steady everywhere once the resets were completed. This time they’ve done the resets but wave two is mostly absent.
                Wow, thanks for the comprehensive report, friend! I've been to Bardstown and Taylorsville in the last couple of days, but haven't found anything I needed. Actually, everything I've wanted, I've ordered through the website. I never saw Dracula locally. At this point I'm really only looking for Frank and Gorn, so I'm hoping that the website will eventually restock, because I've had zero luck around here. Happy hunting to ya!

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 13, 2009

I went to the three closest to me today to take advantage of the sale. Still only have the usual peg warmers from Wave one. Not only was it disappointing, but it was a waste of time and effort.

I think I'm done with the hunt. If the ones I want show up on the website, I'll get them; but I've been in a Target more times in the last two months than I had been in the last fifteen years. LOL

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by cockyhoskins
                    I've been in a Target more times in the last two months than I had been in the last fifteen years. LOL
                    Same here.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎