• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

This figure always reminded me of the Interceptor pilots from UFO:

a1fb4c8226f044a0b5b2c1bbab60da60.jpg
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• MegoMonk
      Career Member
      • Jan 22, 2007

Reds was a small chain of stores in Brooklyn from the 40s or 50s up until about 10 years ago. Red was his nickname, he sold above ground swimming pools, barbecues, and lawn furniture in the warm weather. He sold artificial Christmas trees and Hanukah decorations at years end. He sold toys all year round. I cant say I ever saw the Astronaut at his stores, although I shopped there from the 70s until they stopped selling toys shortly after Red passed away. I'm wondering if the Astronaut was a mego bootleg. On the mego-like page there is a Judah of Maccabbe action figure by "CATV Toys". Reds had various bootleg toys on their shelves along side the real toy company toys. I found a bunch of the Judah figures there about 18 years ago. When I brought a few up to the counter Red was upset. He had a ton of old toys in the upper floor storage rooms of his main store and sometimes his seasonal help would accidently put old toys on the shelf with their original price stickers. I asked him if the figure was a Mego, he barked at me that it was not a mego and told his employee to put the rest back in storage. The Judah head is an obvious copy of Mego Blackbeard and the body was a bad copy of a T1 body. It seemed pretty obvious to me at the time that Red knew Judah was a bootleg mego. So, that makes me wonder if the Astronaut was a Mego bootleg, too.

Comment

• glimpy
        Loco Chango
        • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by MegoMonk
        Reds was a small chain of stores in Brooklyn from the 40s or 50s up until about 10 years ago. Red was his nickname, he sold above ground swimming pools, barbecues, and lawn furniture in the warm weather. He sold artificial Christmas trees and Hanukah decorations at years end. He sold toys all year round. I cant say I ever saw the Astronaut at his stores, although I shopped there from the 70s until they stopped selling toys shortly after Red passed away. I'm wondering if the Astronaut was a mego bootleg. On the mego-like page there is a Judah of Maccabbe action figure by "CATV Toys". Reds had various bootleg toys on their shelves along side the real toy company toys. I found a bunch of the Judah figures there about 18 years ago. When I brought a few up to the counter Red was upset. He had a ton of old toys in the upper floor storage rooms of his main store and sometimes his seasonal help would accidently put old toys on the shelf with their original price stickers. I asked him if the figure was a Mego, he barked at me that it was not a mego and told his employee to put the rest back in storage. The Judah head is an obvious copy of Mego Blackbeard and the body was a bad copy of a T1 body. It seemed pretty obvious to me at the time that Red knew Judah was a bootleg mego. So, that makes me wonder if the Astronaut was a Mego bootleg, too.
        Well now there's the question where did red get the parts to put it together? Where would he get a blue-eyed Bruce Wayne head? And the jumpsuit? Helmet and Boots? Not to mention a T1 body.
        sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
          Loco Chango
          • Feb 5, 2012

That actually sounds like a very reasonable explanation. I would like to know where he got those parts from?
          sigpic

Comment

• josephcardone
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 10, 2010

Hmmm. Reds was a huge store - Great for pools

I don’t think this was only liquidated there. I remember it at a discount store in Manhattan. If I remember correctly I saw it in Corona Queens as well.

I don’t remember ever seeing it at any regular retail stores. I think Play World would have gotten it. I never remember seeing him there.

Comment

• glimpy
              Loco Chango
              • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by josephcardone
              Hmmm. Reds was a huge store - Great for pools

I don’t think this was only liquidated there. I remember it at a discount store in Manhattan. If I remember correctly I saw it in Corona Queens as well.

I don’t remember ever seeing it at any regular retail stores. I think Play World would have gotten it. I never remember seeing him there.
              Thanks Joe!! I always respect your input. We will get to the bottom of this...one way or another!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎