X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by hedrap
    ^Not meant as a trick. I was trying to show how, like Jet Jungle, all he needs is a hair color change. I couldn't find an CTVT Blonde Wayne. I'm not even sure they made one.

I was pulling up Dan Cooper pics and he has a helmet with the same visor shape, but none are yellow. Looking at the pics, it hit me as odd that Lion Rock had all these military pieces that could have been applied to create a really sharp Buck or Cooper figure. But then Lion Rock has an entire contingent of knockoffs.

So now I'm tending to believe this was meant to be a knockoff for french-belgium market. Where some company bought Mego parts from HK, paid for some low-end sewing and mashed Buck/Cooper elements into "Fighter Pilot". Something happened to the company where they didn't pay, and Mego got left with this unclaimed, unfinished mess.

The timing is right. Buck/Cooper was on a role in the late 70's when these parts were in production. Mego goes under in early 80's, so the HK warehouses have to be liquidated, where these were sitting for years.
    Yeah that's cool. I'm not real Keen with the mystery man dude. But I've learned a lot on this thread I'll tell you. And I'm still going to get one before Christmas
    sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
      Loco Chango
      • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by josephcardone
      Well - he seems to be going for $250 + Nowadays

I would say that a mint one in a baggie would be around $350 - maybe more since you don't see many anymore LOL
      Did this mystery man originally come with a white cloth belt?
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

no belt.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• josephcardone
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 10, 2010

Originally posted by palitoy
          no belt.
          That's interesting too - I was just thinking of the lack of the belt - If he was finished to be (whoever he was supposed to be) - he would probably have had a belt. I don't think Mego would have just had the elastic showing like that.

Comment

• glimpy
            Loco Chango
            • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by josephcardone
            That's interesting too - I was just thinking of the lack of the belt - If he was finished to be (whoever he was supposed to be) - he would probably have had a belt. I don't think Mego would have just had the elastic showing like that.
            That's a very reasonable assumption
            sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
              Loco Chango
              • Feb 5, 2012

Is this guy's jumpsuit supposed to be buttoned up front or back?
              sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

^^^ Give the galleries a look

Comment

• glimpy
                  Loco Chango
                  • Feb 5, 2012

Some photographs show him wearing button-up* front and some show him wearing button on back. What is the correct way he should wear his jumpsuit?
                  sigpic

Comment

• megozilla13
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 10, 2002

This topic has been discussed many times over the years. The theory I like the best is that it was meant to be one of the Navy Blue Angels for some kind of promotion at airshows that never materialized.

mikej
                    WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 11, 2013

Here are the two I have. The first is mint in a baggie. The suit is done up at the front.
                      The loose one has the suit done up at the back. Unfortunately the loose one does not have a helmet.
                      I also have a Tex Willer, which as everyone knows, shares the same head.

IMG_20181110_133341379.jpgIMG_20181110_133347367.jpgIMG_20181110_133357997.jpgIMG_20181110_133520383.jpgIMG_20181110_133547556.jpg

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 11, 2013

Funnily enough, there is currently a loose naked Mystery Astronaut up on eBay:

Comment

• glimpy
                          Loco Chango
                          • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by Jetjungle75
                          Here are the two I have. The first is mint in a baggie. The suit is done up at the front.
                          The loose one has the suit done up at the back. Unfortunately the loose one does not have a helmet.
                          I also have a Tex Willer, which as everyone knows, shares the same head.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24249[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24250[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24251[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24252[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24253[/ATTACH]
                          So I guess it's safe to say that the correct way is to have his jumpsuit buttoned up the front.
                          sigpic

Comment

• MegoMonk
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 22, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I saw one Mystery Astronaut where the purchaser had meticulously dated the package and where he bought it.

Big Reds, a close out store in 1977.

It's a type one body, this is two years after Mego abandoned it, so it opens the doors to factory seconds or a closeout of something Mego made but abandoned from the mid-1970s.

He has no markings on his head, so i refuse to accept that this was an attempt to make a license in any fashion.

The helmet and suit are unique to the figure.

Always the same story, a big dump bin of figures in baggies.

I've shown him to several former Mego peeps, there is never anything concrete. One person told me "Maybe it was something we were doing for the Apes?" but we can see the prototype astronaut pictures and he's never anywhere near this.

Someday, we'll know where this came from and then I'll retire.
                            Was "Big Reds" actually Reds in Brooklyn, NY??

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MegoMonk
                              Was "Big Reds" actually Reds in Brooklyn, NY??
                              I think so, a pool store that sold toys in the winter months?
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megozilla13
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 10, 2002

There used to be a website with the legend of Big Reds but I can't find it. They were still selling old stock Megos into the early 2000s.
                                WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎