Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Astronaut

Images
    Blog Entries
    I guess this dude is still a mystery. I heard he came out about 77 or so. I wonder if mego was responsible for him being put out on the market?!!

Images
    He is still a mystery - LOL - I wonder if the question of what this was has been posed to Marty Abrams (even though I am sure it is a long shot).

I don't know why but I think I remember this figure in the disount stores in the late 70's or early 80's in New York City. If I remember they were like $1 and just in a bin (no explanation of what it was). Like many of us, I had been into Kenner Star Wars - so did not have much interest - except that he would be cool with the Star Trek guys that I was no longer playing with

Blog Entries
    I saw one Mystery Astronaut where the purchaser had meticulously dated the package and where he bought it.

Big Reds, a close out store in 1977.

It's a type one body, this is two years after Mego abandoned it, so it opens the doors to factory seconds or a closeout of something Mego made but abandoned from the mid-1970s.

He has no markings on his head, so i refuse to accept that this was an attempt to make a license in any fashion.

The helmet and suit are unique to the figure.

Always the same story, a big dump bin of figures in baggies.

I've shown him to several former Mego peeps, there is never anything concrete. One person told me "Maybe it was something we were doing for the Apes?" but we can see the prototype astronaut pictures and he's never anywhere near this.

Someday, we'll know where this came from and then I'll retire.

Images
    The interesting thing too - remember that Jet Jungle I found last year - he has no markings either. Just more speculation - LOL - maybe a foreign figure that never made it - this seems to have been there "go to" head that was re-used many times

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josephcardone View Post
    The interesting thing too - remember that Jet Jungle I found last year - he has no markings either. Just more speculation - LOL - maybe a foreign figure that never made it - this seems to have been there "go to" head that was re-used many times
    I certainly couldn't dismiss that. Seeing as Tex Willer was created for the Italian market.

I'm just not up on international characters that are pilots.

wait, here's one:

Images
    Oh Lord, that's really close Pali!

Blog Entries
    Close but not a "Nailed it" situation. He's never pictured with a yellow helmet, that little detail would be a clincher for me.

Just to add a little more sugar, Mr. Mystery even has a minor variant… a second flight suit of a different blue material/color. I need to snap a pic for reference.

Images
    I don't know if that's the inspiration, but I want it to be.
    WANTED: Gray AJ Mustang horse; Dale Arden dagger; Parker SI sweater; Grayson SI trousers; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    I certainly couldn't dismiss that. Seeing as Tex Willer was created for the Italian market.

I'm just not up on international characters that are pilots.

wait, here's one:
    OMG!!! That really looks like him in that comic!!! Could that be the Mystery Dude? Now I really have to have one of these figures to add to my collection. I'll have one before Christmas if it's the last thing I do!!!