X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

The Peruvian "Basa" line

The Peruvian "Basa" line- Why is it so rare?

Shane Turgeon said he spoke with a number of shop owners down in Peru and even they couldn't stress enough just how rare Basa items are, even there. One shop owner who had been open over a decade has only ever seen one boxed Basa toy from the 70s-80s come through his hands. It was a Knight Rider KITT and he had it in his store when i was there. He wanted a lot for it, understandably so, and i was just thankful to even see it!
    Last edited by glimpy; Oct 7, '18, 8:33 PM.
    sigpic
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

I think you answered your own question. Stuff in Peru was made in much lower quality and quantity. Ledys and Basa aren't a collecting priority for me because I know how hard certain regular megos are to find in really good shape for a price I'm willing to bite on.

Now if Basa extended the line to unproduced characters like Daredevil or Green Lantern then maybe I would care more. But usually bootleg type toys mimick what is already popular as apposed extending the depth of what is already out.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I"m just not into the "knock-off" vibe of Ledy and Basa. I like the Ledy Mxy boots and their Robin variant costume, but that's about it.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• glimpy
        Loco Chango
        • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        I"m just not into the "knock-off" vibe of Ledy and Basa. I like the Ledy Mxy boots and their Robin variant costume, but that's about it.
        What about the "Spooky Eyes" Basa Robin? His costume is a little different. He's a very interesting variant
        sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Heh, I remember reading that story from Shane in the Rebelscum forums several years ago. The only BASA's I have are the large size Darth Vader and Chewie, and they are apparently quite rare. I believe the reason would be that like Mexico, Peru didn't really have a toy collecting culture, so most of the figures were thrown away years ago, almost no one was putting these away hoping they would be valuable someday.

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

I would love to collect the Basas. My wife is Peruvian so they mean a little more to me. When we visited Peru about 10 years ago, I mistakenly though I might find one or two there. We even went to a mall in Lima that specialized in toys, both vintage and new. I found nothing. They’re always on my back burner list of things to collect.

Comment

• glimpy
              Loco Chango
              • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by Goblin19
              I would love to collect the Basas. My wife is Peruvian so they mean a little more to me. When we visited Peru about 10 years ago, I mistakenly though I might find one or two there. We even went to a mall in Lima that specialized in toys, both vintage and new. I found nothing. They’re always on my back burner list of things to collect.
              That's interesting. I would think they would have at least one at a vintage toy store.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎