X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 66: Vincent Price

As Halloween month is upon us, J & B discuss the official spokesperson of horror during our childhood, Vincent Price.

We jump around on Price's amazing career including his days at Universal studios until we talk about his features and his amazing career on television and music.

Topics covered include I am Legend, Hilarious House of Frightenstein, The Love Boat, Scooby Doo, cooking, The Simpsons, Alice Cooper, Amok Time Toys, Amicus, Batman, Irwin Allen, Brady Bunch and Brian's Dad.

Please join us on the Pod Stallions Facebook page and let us know what you think!
    give us spirited debate on our facebook wall.

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Awesome. Downloading now.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Great show guys. I didn't mind all the wild tangents, because they were (somewhat) relevant, and fun! Theater of Blood is a fun flick. In addition to Butch and the Sicko Chef, I liked the bit where Price and Rigg are draining the blood out of that guy and he rolls his eyes at her for incompetent work.

If you can't get enough of Price and want to dive deep into ALL of his works, I highly recommend Dr. Gangrene's YouTube series "The Fantastic Films of Vincent Price". Prepare to lose hours of time, and really enjoy yourself!

Award-winning Nashville-based TV Horror Host Dr. Gangrene explores the films of the merchant of menace, Vincent Price, in chronological order from first to l...

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I really enjoyed this, it's a subject near and dear to me. Price was one of the first actors I learned to recognize when I was a child. From Batman '66 I guess, and his first appearance as Egghead is brilliant. I've liked and admired him ever since.

You hit many points spot-on IMO. I was pleased that you discussed Dr. Phibes and Theatre of Blood. I hold these two films in particular esteem and I think Phibes is Price's finest "monster." The first Phibes film is so dark, hilarious, and outre. I was surprised, though that you overlooked 1983's House of Long Shadows:Price, Lee, Cushing, Carradine, Richard Todd--and Desi Arnaz, Jr.?

Besides the horror films we love, Price had some great dramatic supporting roles at Fox in the '40s. You mentioned Laura, but he was also excellent in Keys of the Kingdom (with Gregory Peck), Leave Her to Heaven (again with Tierney)m and especially The Song of Bernadette (with Jennifer Jones.) He did period drama, comedy, and film noir as well.

About his work ethic: Price was supposedly gray-listed during the Red Scare and became anxious about getting work. That, and having his daughter late in life (age 51), motivated him to take many projects. He lamented that he had hurt his image by working so much, but it's also documented that he took some jobs just to pay for art and for his endowment of the art museum at East Los Angeles College, which now bears his name. His AIP contract, though exclusive, was lucrative and lasted 14 years,

Thanks for this podcast. TCM will be showcasing Price this Hallowe'en eve, Oct. 31.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 5, '18, 7:50 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Great show! I have never seen Theatre of Blood, but I own it, and am looking forward to a first time watch this season.

So glad you mentioned the Shrunken Heads commercial, because that was when it crystallized for me that he was a Horror identity. That creepy box sat in my Mom's sewing room for ages, and I can't remember actually making any shrunken heads out of old apples.

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

Just listened and also enjoyed. For me, my earliest memory of Price is with Scooby and the Thriller video, but I might be a tad younger than most here. (I turned 44 last month.)
            I've not seen as much of Price's body of work that I know I should. but my favorites are the film noir movie Laura and his OTR show The Saint. (Curse you Val Kilmer for such an awful movie.)

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

It's no surprise I enjoyed this, as I love the Podcasts, and Vincent Price is a favorite of mine. I agree that he elevated many productions with his touch of class, and you never felt he was "slumming" when he did something. He had a great sense of humor, and he was a wonderful person by all accounts. I've read many stories of how genuine and kind he was with fans. Your description of his joie de vivre in Theatre of Blood was a perfect label. Did you know they did that as a play a few years back with Diana Rigg's daughter in her mother's role and Jim Broadbent in the Price part?

While I understand how much you had to discuss of Price that he was actually in, I was somewhat expecting a reference to the film he missed, Doctor Who Meets Scratchman. That DW film that might have been remains lovely to imagine.

I had not realized the Price figures that were made and wonder now about trying to find one.

Thanks and Happy Early Halloween!
              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I always enjoyed his voicework as Irontail in Rankin/Bass' Peter Cottontail. Strange that they didn't use him for Mad Monster Party.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I had forgotten Irontail, I have that on DVD--fun stuff.

Falstaff, it's very interesting to hear of the adaptation of Theatre of Blood. I'm quite a fan of Broadbent.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎