Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netflix SDCC She-Ra trailer. Yeah, it's bad.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

80s cartoons are beloved pop culture icons and get treated like crap.

5 Michael Bay Transformers movies. Do I even need to remind people what he did to Devastator?
    2 GI Joe movies. In the second one they killed nearly the entire Joe team.
    3 Dungeons and Dragons movies. Parts 2 and 3 were so bad they went straight to video.
    2 TMNT movies. Those were some creepy looking CGI Turtles.
    Jem and the Holograms turned into Hannah Montana
    Thundercats 2011 (aka Thundercats the Last Airbender) and the upcoming dumbed down to imbecile level Thundercats Roar.
    Now add the She-Ra reboot which is a weird mash up of Steven Universe the Legend of Korra.
    DHX 2019 Strawberry Shortcake turned into Wreck it Ralph designs

I hope the long threatened MOTU movie never gets made. It will not be good. No way. Not a chance.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
      I miss the good old days of great animation like,
      Tarzan Lord of the jungle, Flash Gordon, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, Herculoids, Superfriends, Xmen, Spiderman and his amazing friends.
      Saturday mornings sitting in front of the TV with a big bowl of Quisp cereal paying homage to the Super Gods of Saturday AM TV. So glad I grew up when I did. Nothing is as it was. Sad...
      I agree 100%.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by tjacwave50
        Yes, I definitely agree with that, and don't forget about Star Trek the animated series, with the same music used in Tarzan
        Lord of the jungle.
        Did Tarzan also use the monster and creature screams like in Star Trek?

I think Flash Gordon did, but I can't remember.
        -----

The D&D cartoon concept of players transported into the D&D world would be good for a live-action movie. Also, an established D&D actual game setting would be good for a non animated film, with the main characters from that world.

Any movie based on a cartoon, done seriously and resembling the original's intent, would be good.

Comment

• MEMEGO
          Career Member
          • Sep 6, 2007

PURE GARBAGE, Bring back the real She-Ra.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Just to throw this out there, my 13-year-old and a couple of her friends really like She-Ra. It came out in conversation the other day, so it may be finding a new audience.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              Just to throw this out there, my 13-year-old and a couple of her friends really like She-Ra.
              And the show could have been just as popular with that new audience without calling it She-Ra or using the She-Ra names for new characters that don't look or act remotely like the original characters. In the most recent episode Catra wore a tux and danced with Adora at the princess prom. For those not familiar with the original cartoon, in the original cartoon Catra never wore a tux or liked She-Ra. Nor did the Rebellion or the Horde go to a princess dance together. I'm happy people have a new cartoon to watch. But I dislike that they called it She-Ra.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

I was merely trying to say that some good has come of it, as my daughter's generation is aware of the brand, that's all. Now it's shared and maybe will keep it alive.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I was merely trying to say that some good has come of it, as my daughter's generation is aware of the brand, that's all. Now it's shared and maybe will keep it alive.
                  You are more upbeat about this than me.

Even without a new cartoon She-Ra has not been exactly a dead brand. Some people have been acting like and She-Ra was totally forgotten before this remake.

The She-Ra cartoon could also have been done more like the Ducktales reboot. You don't have to completely change the appearances and personalities of iconic characters. You can bring in new audiences without completely changing it into a totally different cartoon. Scrooge and Donald still look, act and sound like Scrooge and Donald. In the new Transformers Cyberverse cartoon Optimus, Megatron, Bumblebee, etc. are updated but are still very close to their G1 counterparts.

Not to mention, She-Ra isn't like Transformers, TMNT or any other of those properties that get reboots every two years. It's pretty much a lose-lose situation for classic She-Ra fans, like myself. If the new show bombs people will claim no one wanted She-Ra anymore. If it's a success the new show replaces the original show and characters with unrelated new characters that took their names.

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I'm sorry that you have such a negative outlook on something you enjoy so much. I don't like every remake I've had to endure but found some good somewhere.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

BTW: I'm sorry if come off angry I'm just a bit frustrated about the whole thing. Lots of crap being thrown at fans of the original series by the new show and it's fans. About how the original show was terrible and so much stuff had to be fixed or how sexualized the original characters were. Excuse me, they were pretty not sexualized. The darkly humorous part of the sexualized insult is I've now had the displeasure of seeing WAY more She-Ra fan erotica since the new show debuted. I can't search She-Ra on twitter or Instagram now without seeing page upon page of She-Ra Catra stuff. Ugh, it's as bad as when the Bronies took over My little Pony fandom. So much creepy Pinkie Pie stuff I can't unsee. It burns!!!
                      Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 29, '18, 1:52 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

From the perspective of a very casual fan--I was always more interested in Hordak than She-Ra--I think part of the traditionalist reaction to the new show is due to its radical departure from the core elements of the original. It's not just a question of disliking the redesigns but of balking at the premise and characterizations, which seem alien to the core concepts of the Filmation version.

It's for the same reasons that MOTU fans don't cherish the sci-fi '90s The New Adventures of He-Man. Conversely, the 2002 He-man series had updated designs and concepts but actually expanded and embroidered the mythos in an inclusive, respectful way.
                        Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 29, '18, 5:11 PM. Reason: punctuation
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Madcap70
                          • Dec 4, 2017

This series is getting trashed as the .org with good reason

Comment

• MEMEGO
                            Career Member
                            • Sep 6, 2007

Original is a beautiful classic, the new one is pure crap.

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

The show is doing well. Much like Voltron, it has opted to sacrifice familiarity in order to court a new audience. That gambit is paying off.
                              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• scott metzger
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 9, 2007

Voltron is still recognizable, and a lot of old fans like it. She-Ra isn't...bad. It's just mediocre. Honestly, I liked Mysticons better, and Masters is one of my two favorite properties, so that says something. It's a generic magic girls show without a whole lot else to it. There are a few good aspects, like the fact that Adora is a former Horde officer isn't more or less ignored as it was in the original, but the characters and stories aren't up to the old one. And just having the name out there isn't always good for the property. Space ghost Coast to Coast did well in its time, but basically crippled any chance of the character ever being taken seriously again. And much as I love the old '66 Bat series, it took decades for Batman to be taken seriously again. Like I say, it isn't outright bad, but it's not the sort of thing that would generate a large, decades long fandom like the original did. The characters deserved better. Add in that we will only have half the story (He Man is apparently not part of the deal), and it's all a bit disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎