Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netflix SDCC She-Ra trailer. Yeah, it's bad.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Netflix SDCC She-Ra trailer. Yeah, it's bad.

It's not She-Ra. The show really is Korra mixed with Steven Universe and everyone knows that Adora is She-Ra. Everyone.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Mary Canary
    Career Member
    • Jun 21, 2017

Yeah, this is so not for me.

Do breasts even exist on new Etheria?
    Or lips?
    Or decent dialogue?

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I did notice they all have the same lines for mouths and no lips and I never want to hear a criticism of Filmations voice cast again after this mess.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

My 10 year old watched it and said "Looks like Anime meets Steven Universe"...and she knows who She-Ra is. She wasn't turned off or wowed by it. She'll probably try it.

I don't think its horrible from here, but yeah, it seems pretty by-the-book for animated series today.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

I don't think its horrible from here, but yeah, it seems pretty by-the-book for animated series today.
          As just another generic western-ized style anime, it's fine. Calling it She-Ra and using the names of the She-Ra characters is the problem for me.

You know, for all their claims of She-Ra's toxic fanbase all they've had to deal with is a some classic fans saying they don't like the designs. Which they then dumped in with the usual expected trolls that never cared about She-Ra to begin with. They should be just happy they didn't do to MOTU what they did to She-Ra. Fans wouldn't be so polite. They'd be going bonkers.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

It sort of looks like Dic animation to me.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              It sort of looks like Dic animation to me.
              Real Ghostbusters and M.A.S.K. character designs had lips.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 23, 2013

So, it sounds like there is nothing new or inventive for this She-Ra, nothing fascinating to look for.

Another example of something just going for name recognition.

They need to start adding something special to a new creation if they are going to keep doing these re-makes.

Comment

• jacoblb
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 7, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  I did notice they all have the same lines for mouths and no lips and I never want to hear a criticism of Filmations voice cast again after this mess.
                  That is too funny!

Everything you've written about She-Ra prior and post has been spot on. The reboot lost me in the earliest stages when I learned Melendy Britt wasn't doing the voice and, yikes the voice used on the teaser trailer is bad. I think they hired the lady from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic as the key designer, which is fine for animals but maybe not the best suited person to continue a style like that for a known show with rotoscoped live action movement and realism. It's a crying shame Netflix didn't have the sense to try to create something new with the template Funimation started.

Anyway, I sure enjoyed Netflix's Dragon Prince, I binged watched it last week. At this point I've no idea if I even want to bother with looking at the full She-Ra trailer now that it's been released. I just don't care and neither do my teenage daughters or wife who adore the original show.

You're right, if this happened to MOTU the opposition would be so much louder.
                  Last edited by jacoblb; Oct 7, '18, 3:02 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 18, 2015

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    As just another generic western-ized style anime
                    Looking at the art style again. I'd say it's trying to imitate Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is funny because Avatar was inspired by anime, so it's kind of a copy of a copy situation.

I'd also say it's definitely trying to combine that style with Steven Universe, which is a bizarre combination, frankly.
                    The hands that grip.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                      Career Member
                      • Nov 22, 2011

I miss the good old days of great animation like,
                      Tarzan Lord of the jungle, Flash Gordon, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, Herculoids, Superfriends, Xmen, Spiderman and his amazing friends.
                      Saturday mornings sitting in front of the TV with a big bowl of Quisp cereal paying homage to the Super Gods of Saturday AM TV. So glad I grew up when I did. Nothing is as it was. Sad...
                      "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
                        I miss the good old days of great animation like,
                        Tarzan Lord of the jungle, Flash Gordon, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, Herculoids, Superfriends, Xmen, Spiderman and his amazing friends.
                        Saturday mornings sitting in front of the TV with a big bowl of Quisp cereal paying homage to the Super Gods of Saturday AM TV. So glad I grew up when I did. Nothing is as it was. Sad...
                        Yes, I definitely agree with that, and don't forget about Star Trek the animated series, with the same music used in Tarzan
                        Lord of the jungle.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

There's still some good stuff out there. Just not this. For new stuff,Milo Murphy's Law is at the top of my list.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                            Career Member
                            • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                            Yes, I definitely agree with that, and don't forget about Star Trek the animated series, with the same music used in Tarzan
                            Lord of the jungle.
                            Oh I didn't forget. I just didn't want to make my list too long. I own most of the old cartoons on DVD and watch them more than aired TV. I watch alot of classic TV shows as well.
                            Classic Trek, Munster's, Gilligan's island, Wonder Woman, Flash and others like that.
                            "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

^Agree with you completely. Where are the masterpieces we had in the 70's and 80's?

Blackstar, Thundarr the Barbarian, The Incredible Hulk, Voltron, Dungeons & Dragons, Transformers...all so awesome.

There is literally NOTHING like them today.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎