Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mint Off Card: Frankenstein by Mego Corp.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Mint Off Card: Frankenstein by Mego Corp.

Time for another Mego Museum Mint off Card episode where we de-card a new Retro Figure and let you explore what's inside.

Our subject this week is the wave two Frankenstein from Mego Corp, shipping to Target stores right now! This review has a special section discussing Mego's history with our big green friend.

Tell us what you think of Frankenstein here or on our forum at www.megomuseum.com

Twitter: @megomuseum

Don't forget to subscribe to our Youtube channel:
    This channel is the hub for two websites- The Megomuseum (megomuseum.com) which features the web's leading archive of toys produced by Mego Corporation. Our archive includes vintage commercials, the history of Mego reviews and "Mint Off Card" toy unboxings featuring the latest action figures by Figures Toy Company, NECA and Mego Corporation. PlaidStallions.com- The online archive devoted to 1970s culture and toys including Top Five lists, vintage toy commercials, short films about vintage toys and episodes of "Pod Stallions' the popular podcast hosted by Jason Lenzi (@bbplenzi) and PS founder Brain Heiler (@plaidstallions) Please subscribe to us, we'd subscribe to you.

Look for a new Mint on Card every week, you can explore our past episodes here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps1C9...

Your host for all of this Brian (@plaidstallions)

MUSIC "Kat and Tanner" by Twin Musicom: Kat and Tanner by Twin Musicom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/...) Artist: http://www.twinmusicom.org/
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Oh yeah! Can't wait to watch this on the big TV.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• generic
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 25, 2009

As a big Frankenstein fan myself, I was very happy to see you'd posted a video for this guy today! I've been on the hunt since I first heard wave 2 had started hitting the shelves. At first, I wasn't as impressed with Franky as Dracula, but this guy is really growing on my. And since you've pointed out the dime store vibe, I'm really looking at Frankenstein in a new light. I can't wait to find one (or two) myself!
      Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• Mary Canary
        Career Member
        • Jun 21, 2017

After that Pixel Dan video, I needed this! As always, great review and fun to watch.

I didn't really have Frankenstein on my wave 2 want-list, but he was the most-wanted for a friend of mine.
        When I saw 2 of him at the store, I grabbed one for my buddy in case he couldn't find Frankenstein... and then I thought... hey, why not, he's neat.
        So I got one for myself, too.

To me, he has a bit of that "Jeepers It's The Creeper" vibe from Scooby Doo, too.
        I opened him up... He's actually the first figure from wave 1 and 2 that I've opened so far, because I never make time for doing that.
        Oh my gosh, he really is so much fun! I love his costuming and his hands and even the softer facial features.
        He's hanging out with Lex Luthor and Grodd right now. Seemed like the best grouping for him, ha.

Do you think Mego will ever make the Bride of Frankenstein? Even a generic version, such as this Frankenstein?
        Or is that too problematic with Universal?

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Good review, I like seeing the detailing--I was trying to figure out how the black undershirt is made. It doesn't seem to have a distinct neckline.

^Mary, I think Mego could totally do a generic Bride, I've had an idea for one for years.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mary Canary
            Career Member
            • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            Good review, I like seeing the detailing--I was trying to figure out how the black undershirt is made. It doesn't seem to have a distinct neckline.

^Mary, I think Mego could totally do a generic Bride, I've had an idea for one for years.
            The undershirt is actually like a onesee, so it stays tucked into his pants!

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

So how can they get away with this being not licensed? That is clearly Karloff in the pic. Plus the flat top head and skull clips are part of the Universal's trademark. It's just missing the bolts. Other than that it's spot on Universal. I don't get it.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• glimpy
                Loco Chango
                • Feb 5, 2012

They don't have Jack diddly squat at my store. They don't even know what they are
                sigpic

Comment

• comicmike
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 22, 2009

Great info to have shared. Thanks for all your good energy, Brian.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! I especially love the Franky congo line!

Keep these coming!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                      Career Member
                      • Nov 22, 2011

all sold out at my target and on line... not happy
                      "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
                        all sold out at my target and on line... not happy
                        Same thing happened with Dracula, I'm certain you'll find one.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎