Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toys R Us lenders cancel auction plan to revive brand.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Toys R Us lenders cancel auction plan to revive brand.

I'm skeptical it can be done. But hopefully TRU can be revived in the US.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Mary Canary
    Career Member
    • Jun 21, 2017

I'm skeptical too. Sucks for all those people who lost their jobs and then... oops, just kidding.

I wonder what's going on with the Kay Bee revival as well.

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

They'll have to get new stock. A big chunk of their stuff was bought up by Ollie's.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
        They'll have to get new stock. A big chunk of their stuff was bought up by Ollie's.
        Yeah, there's no way they could re-open by the end of this year.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

I bet Toys R Us will be mainly an online business with a few brick and mortar stores scattered around the country, in large cities.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

First part of the revival. Geoffrey's Toy Box.

"He says that Geoffrey's Toy Box will launch this November as a "shop-within-a-shop" concept, debuting with "a prominent Midwest retailer."

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

^ That’s smart to get back into the market during the holidays. I’m rooting for them. Even though it’s more we’ll beyond tacky to lay-off thousands of employees only to reopen, it’s great for the toy industry, including Mego. Maybe they can pull it off. Though, I can’t imagine they’ll ever be a business of the scale that they once were. Keep it much smaller and mainly online but with some stores, ones that are smaller than before.

- Ian

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                ^ That’s smart to get back into the market during the holidays. I’m rooting for them.
                I agree. It's the quickest way to get back on the shelves and in people's hearts and minds while rebuilding the brand. There's no way they could have re-opened stores in time for the holiday. I'm hoping for store re-openings in 2019.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

^ I think that’s realistic. Maybe by the holiday season of 2019 some free standing stores will be open along with some online business.

- Ian

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

There's a Spirit Halloween store in our nearest TRU location right now.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I really hope TRU does come back as a retail store chain in the US. Even if only as smaller KB sized stores. I've really missed TRU. They were always my go to store for Transformers and Monster High because the Target and Walmart stores in my area were always stocked so poorly.

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        First part of the revival. Geoffrey's Toy Box.

"He says that Geoffrey's Toy Box will launch this November as a "shop-within-a-shop" concept, debuting with "a prominent Midwest retailer."

http://www.therockfather.com/news-an...-new-toys-r-us
                        Sounds like it would be a branding of a section within another store's toy department or within a store that doesn't normally stocl toys, and it looks like it only involves the Toys R Us lines they developed themselves rather than toys form other manufacturers. Sounds to me like there will be something like a Geoffrey's Toy Box within a regional store like Meijer'stoy department rather than standalone stores with the TRU name. Which jives with how I read the initial article you posted. They were looking to exploit the brand cache of TRU and Geoffrey not revive the stores and they thought they could earn more revenue using the brands than auctioning them off. So as I read it, it's not a step towards TRU coming back as a retailer, but transforming the TRU brand into something that other retailers pay TRU to capitalize on where TRU may serve as a vendor rep and stock portions of other stores toy departments and use their branding to generate revenue for both the TRU brand and their retail partners.

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

TRU returns press release.

Toys”R”Us is the leading kids store for all toys, video games, dolls, action figures, learning games, building blocks and more. C'mon, Let's Play!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

Sounds promising, I think. It’s tough to tell if this will materialize into actual stand alone stores. It seem the new owners aren’t the sure either. Fingers crossed for next holiday season or something in 2020.

- Ian

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I'm guessing we will see online shopping return and maybe some pop up stores as early as fall 2019. But it will take years to get back to where they were with permanent retail stores.
                              Last edited by Werewolf; Oct 7, '18, 9:45 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎