X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Dragon Help

So, I have Frankensteined together a large rubber dragon and an even larger Halloween bat skeleton to create a gigantic, Mego-scale dragon (30" x 36" x 11").

IMG_5444.JPG

I'm really happy with how he is coming along so far, but I'm not quite sure how to finish the job...

I used masking tape to build out the "skin" on the skeletal wings. I also used it to "seal over" areas of the body that I needed to reconstruct. I'm thinking I need to cover that with some sort of glue/sealant/filler/strengthener to keep that tape secured (to the rubbery dragon, the plastic skeleton, and to the other pieces of tape). I'd like to be able to sand and smooth it in areas where there may be ridges from the layers of tape. Lastly, I'm going to be able to need to paint it... ideally with something that gives it the rubber toy texture of the original components.

I have never used any of these products, but from reading online I'm thinking I need some combination of (1) Modge Podge, (2) gesso, (3) Plasti-Dip, (4) Liquid Latex, (5) something else entirely...

I also imagine it would be possible to cast and sand it, but I've never cast anything myself and I wouldn't even begin to know how to do so with something this large.

Any suggestions?
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Liquid latex deteriorates rapidly. Mod podge is just white glue with some waterproofing. Spray on plastic dip may be the best option here. I have some pieces I plastidipped 15 years ago that look pretty good still. Kinda surprised u went with skeletal bat instead of just rubber bat. I have seen 2 ft wingspan bats for less than 10 bucks. Stiff wire into the edge for posing and you're done. But it looks good what you have so far.

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

It looks great

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡