X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Sci-fi tv & movie tie in paperback haul

So after a somewhat disappointing trip to Target to see if Wave 2 was out there yet, I stopped at the Half Price Books in the same retail corridor and found a gold mine of vintage paperbacks based on sci-fi tv and movies in their collector paperback section for $3 a pop...

a bunch of Space 1999 novels...

some Doctor Who...

the Lando Calrissian trilogy and the novelization of The Black Hole (plus a repplacemnt copy of Bradbury's Martian Chronicles to replace the one I lent out and never got back)

plus a trio of Edgar Rice Burroughs books with Frazetta covers and a vintage Lovecraft collection...

I think I am all set for those long winter night, plenty of good books to curl up with under a blanket with the dog at my feet.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

nice get. are the Space 199 books just novelizations of episodes or are they original stories?

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I have a big collection of 1999 paperbacks and the like. It was one of the first things I collected, you could always find a used bookstore back then.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        nice get. are the Space 199 books just novelizations of episodes or are they original stories?
        There's a bit of both out there, most of these are by EC Tubb, who was working from the scripts adapting them into the novelisations, but there were original stories produced as well (and not all the episodes were included in the novelization series).

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Phoenix of Megaron was definitely an original story, i think it's the only feature-length novel in the series.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

Amazing books. Very cool.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Very cool !!!

They're worth it just for display purposes

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

Is it me, or are Star Trek novels a thing of the past? I remember there used to be shelves and shelves of Trek paperbacks at the bookstores for the original series, TNG, etc. Good stuff written by authors like Peter David. But I guess all of that is long out of print now, or there is not a market for it anymore? Today I saw only a handful of Trek books at B&N. 3 of them were Discovery novels, which I thought odd given all the twists in season 1. Not sure if they were original stories or just adaptations though. I think there were maybe 1 or 2 Kirk books, and that was it. Meanwhile Star Wars is consuming this entire 4 foot section of shelves top to bottom. I miss Waldenbooks and looking at all of the Trek paperbacks. I unloaded all the ones I once owned, which makes me sad. I guess the only way to find them now is on the secondary market.

Also, cool Black Hole find!

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                  Is it me, or are Star Trek novels a thing of the past? I remember there used to be shelves and shelves of Trek paperbacks at the bookstores for the original series, TNG, etc. Good stuff written by authors like Peter David. But I guess all of that is long out of print now, or there is not a market for it anymore? Today I saw only a handful of Trek books at B&N. 3 of them were Discovery novels, which I thought odd given all the twists in season 1. Not sure if they were original stories or just adaptations though. I think there were maybe 1 or 2 Kirk books, and that was it. Meanwhile Star Wars is consuming this entire 4 foot section of shelves top to bottom. I miss Waldenbooks and looking at all of the Trek paperbacks. I unloaded all the ones I once owned, which makes me sad. I guess the only way to find them now is on the secondary market.

Also, cool Black Hole find!
                  The HPB had a ton of the Trek Logs and adaptations of the TOS episodes on the racks I got those books from, and I was tempted, but I was already over budget (I also picked up season 1 of the Gargoyles animated series for my wife and the second omnibus volume of the Justice League of America in the Bronze Age while there and had to make some choices. I see the Trek books fairly regularly, I rarely see Doctor Who books there and this was the first time I ever saw the Space 1999 stuff there, so I took the chance there would still be some Trek stuff still there (or there again) when I do another HPB run sometime after Halloween.

As for new Trek books, I still see our library get some in (maybe 1 a month) but I've been in B&N once in the past 4 years (and that was with my wife who was looking for a B&N exclusive Harry Potter Rock Candy) so haven't a clue as to what a new bookstore shelves look like in terms of availability of Trek novels. I see used ones in Goodwill and at HPB all the time though. I know they still do them, but I don;t thik they are the cash cow they once were, so releases are a lot slower.

-M

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎