Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madcap70
    • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by ubermanx
    Brittle bodies? Are you talking about Bif Bang Pow figures that almost all of mine are broken somehow (especially hip pins)? Or are you talking about the 10 year old early lines at FTC? Or are you talking about all the ripped arm holes in some of my EMCE figures?

I'm not saying Mego, EMCE, or FTC is better or worse than any other but there is a serious anti-FTC bias around here. Especially from folks that might have bought those early FTC lines like the Space 1999, Happy Days, etc. revival crap bodies. I'm pretty sure if you look closely at ALL the products you can nit-pick issues everywhere.

~ Marty
    Yes it seems like if someone Bashes BBP or EMCE their are going to **** Doc off etc. since he comes here and no one from FTC/CTVT shows up it's open season...

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Some of these opinions are built on loyalties, not product ownership. It's not a secret that some people who post here also do work for Mego and EMCE. That's one 500 pound elephant in the room. The other elephant are the people who attend the meets who have maintained lengthy relationships with many of those who run this forum, who also know and work routinely with Paul. Many of those have known Paul since he first broke into this business copying Mego parts. So Paul and the people making these figures for Mego are not nameless, faceless individuals that many people here will throw open and frank opinions around recklessly. That pads the criticisms and it gives people like Paul more consideration because these people can put FACES to this product. He's somebody's friend, somebody's work associate, somebody's business partner, somebody's long time pal in this forum. He's an original member here. People know his heart and know he means well and knows if mistakes happen it wasn't his intention. Sounds pretty damn fair doesn't it? I think so.

Now lets look at FTC. Who here knows them? Who has met them? Who has been to their shop and see the work they do? Who has been in their meeting room where they develop these figures? So they are nameless, faceless people who PAINLESSLY get the book thrown at them with insane assumptions, exaggerated overviews of the product line, and basically an attitude that says, "I'll never be satisfied." I guess that explains their longevity when no one else could survive? Truth hurts. It's pointless because every time FTC scores well, they move the goal post. The same solutions offered to improve FTC could be laid on Mego's doorstep right now. The banded body is not ever going to be a product that gives consistent results with every figure. I have brand new figures from Mego that can't hold their arms up, but many can. Its the same science as FTC. No difference. And I guess the early head issues on Mego figures is an anomaly? Should I just assume Paul doesn't care because he's been at this long enough to know better? When it happens again and again will you bash him for it? Of course you won't. I'm not going to either because this is the nature of the beast. The Mego-style figure is the epitome of the most imperfect figure in the landscape of action figures out there. It never was and never will be a perfect figure. That's part of it's charm.

No company is above criticism and EVERYONE makes mistakes. And nobody has to like every product a company puts out either. But the comparisons I read here are already taking flight into fantasy. It's funny to read FTC has been doing this for "10 to 15 years". Hmmm. Yeah and Paul is fresh out of the gate with a team of people he's never worked with, NOT using old molds from his EMCE work? Ironic opinion coming from someone who knows better. And then the overstated, 'FTC prices are ridiculous' even though this is EXACTLY what Mego would be charging if they were in the secondary market making production volumes this low. These people know this. That is not a secret. And I bet there's not one of you who would have paid the secondary market price for that Batman figure when it came out. More truth that hurts. I buy FTC and I buy Mego. There are good people on both sides. I hope Mego kicks arse and gets it's QA issues in order. But it will NEVER be a perfect science. If Mego is still standing two years from now, you'll get some of the same mishaps you're getting right now. The only difference is no one here will be keeping a count on it.

Comment

• doink1
        • Jul 31, 2014

Originally posted by MIB41
        Some of these opinions are built on loyalties, not product ownership. It's not a secret that some people who post here also do work for Mego and EMCE. That's one 500 pound elephant in the room. The other elephant are the people who attend the meets who have maintained lengthy relationships with many of those who run this forum, who also know and work routinely with Paul. Many of those have known Paul since he first broke into this business copying Mego parts. So Paul and the people making these figures for Mego are not nameless, faceless individuals that many people here will throw open and frank opinions around recklessly. That pads the criticisms and it gives people like Paul more consideration because these people can put FACES to this product. He's somebody's friend, somebody's work associate, somebody's business partner, somebody's long time pal in this forum. He's an original member here. People know his heart and know he means well and knows if mistakes happen it wasn't his intention. Sounds pretty damn fair doesn't it? I think so.

Now lets look at FTC. Who here knows them? Who has met them? Who has been to their shop and see the work they do? Who has been in their meeting room where they develop these figures? So they are nameless, faceless people who PAINLESSLY get the book thrown at them with insane assumptions, exaggerated overviews of the product line, and basically an attitude that says, "I'll never be satisfied." I guess that explains their longevity when no one else could survive? Truth hurts. It's pointless because every time FTC scores well, they move the goal post. The same solutions offered to improve FTC could be laid on Mego's doorstep right now. The banded body is not ever going to be a product that gives consistent results with every figure. I have brand new figures from Mego that can't hold their arms up, but many can. Its the same science as FTC. No difference. And I guess the early head issues on Mego figures is an anomaly? Should I just assume Paul doesn't care because he's been at this long enough to know better? When it happens again and again will you bash him for it? Of course you won't. I'm not going to either because this is the nature of the beast. The Mego-style figure is the epitome of the most imperfect figure in the landscape of action figures out there. It never was and never will be a perfect figure. That's part of it's charm.

No company is above criticism and EVERYONE makes mistakes. And nobody has to like every product a company puts out either. But the comparisons I read here are already taking flight into fantasy. It's funny to read FTC has been doing this for "10 to 15 years". Hmmm. Yeah and Paul is fresh out of the gate with a team of people he's never worked with, NOT using old molds from his EMCE work? Ironic opinion coming from someone who knows better. And then the overstated, 'FTC prices are ridiculous' even though this is EXACTLY what Mego would be charging if they were in the secondary market making production volumes this low. These people know this. That is not a secret. And I bet there's not one of you who would have paid the secondary market price for that Batman figure when it came out. More truth that hurts. I buy FTC and I buy Mego. There are good people on both sides. I hope Mego kicks arse and gets it's QA issues in order. But it will NEVER be a perfect science. If Mego is still standing two years from now, you'll get some of the same mishaps you're getting right now. The only difference is no one here will be keeping a count on it.
        very well said. This is why I opened this thread. I just wanted to hear peoples honest opinion of the product. I loved the Mego toys since I was a kid. When FTC got all their new licenses I was thrilled with what they would come up with. Some of them have been absolute homeruns. I just never understood the nit picking.

It will be interesting to see what Mego 2018 comes up with. Figures that start at 14.99 and drop after 1 month to 12.99 has me concerned. I hope they make it and their product improves that all...

Comment

• doink1
          • Jul 31, 2014

very well said. This is why I opened this thread. I just wanted to hear peoples honest opinion of the product. I loved the Mego toys since I was a kid. When FTC got all their new licenses I was thrilled with what they would come up with. Some of them have been absolute homeruns. I just never understood the nit picking.

It will be interesting to see what Mego 2018 comes up with. Figures that start at 14.99 and drop after 1 month to 12.99 has me concerned. I hope they make it and their product improves that’s all...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

It's funny to read FTC has been doing this for "10 to 15 years". Hmmm. Yeah and Paul is fresh out of the gate with a team of people he's never worked with, NOT using old molds from his EMCE work? Ironic opinion coming from someone who knows better.
            Looks like you're calling me out. For what it's worth, even with Paul in charge who has been down this road before, even with Marty Abrams in charge who basically built the road, working with a factory that is new to making Mego style figures and having that hit a tight deadline, there can still be snags. I think it's something that can be worked out over time. Having said that, I'm curious what I should know better? And just so I understand, are you saying that you think Paul ISN"T working with an all new team?

I thought I was complimentary to FTC in my comment in saying they have improved by leaps and bounds over the years.
            Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Sep 28, '18, 7:53 PM.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
              Looks like you're calling me out. For what it's worth, even with Paul in charge who has been down this road before, even with Marty Abrams in charge who basically built the road, working with a factory that is new to making Mego style figures and having that hit a tight deadline, there can still be snags. I think it's something that can be worked out over time. Having said that, I'm curious what I should know better? And just so I understand, are you saying that you think Paul ISN"T working with an all new team?

I thought I was complimentary to FTC in my comment in saying they have improved by leaps and bounds over the years.

My statement points to the irony of someone who works with Mego asking for consideration that it automatically gets, when the 10 to 15 years offered by FTC is looked upon with contempt. Not by you, but by the people who point to time served as a kind of indictment. That's what I felt you would already know intrinsically. That's further illustrated when you mention tight deadlines. Deadlines and tight schedules that created these problems with Batman are aspects of this business that can compromise anyone making figures in this business (as are the factories who pump these out). Companies juggling multiple licenses and production dates are not at liberty to instantly fix everything once a problem is identified. Sometimes the defect is not realized until the figure hits production and as we all know, it's too late.

And to your point, FTC is absolutely leaps and bounds better than what they were when they started. But people also know in the beginning they had invested all their money with a bad factory in India and were hamstrung to the defects that would dog everything they did. But when they recouped and found a factory in China that could make quality bodies, everything changed. And yes, there were more learning tiers to be obtained. But that is a continual process. People don't know how many fixes did not work as planned or how many lines have been stopped and improved when defects were caught early enough. There's no advantage to letting widespread problems remain that hinder sales. If that were true, FTC would not be in this business right now. And again you can't compare secondary market pricing to mass market pricing. That's bogus and the people who bark about it, already know this.

And that is why I brought up the Batman figure as an example. I wasn't poking at you, because you made a damn good head sculpt. But most of us know had that figure been made for the secondary market with those defects, that would have killed it. You can forgive allot when the market price allows you to. You can buy a $20 Batman figure and make allowances that you would feel less inclined to do on something costing twice as much or more. But that is the market price, not a measure of whether the figure would or could have been made better. So it goes right through me, when I hear these pricing comparisons as if it's simply a choice. It's going to be interesting to see how much Targets involvement helped tweak that price and whether Marty will be able to maintain that (or somewhere close) once this exclusive run is over. Hopefully, the returns are healthy and maybe we'll get lucky and see an extended life with Target next year. I certainly hope so. At the end of the day we have Anthony at FTC and Paul with Marty and Mego making these figures we desire. I think there's plenty of space for both companies to live in harmony.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

Tom, you hit the nail on the head 110% in my opinion. Different set of rules because we all know and love Paul, Andy etc. But there ARE some great folks at FTC as well that DO care and care a lot. They aren’t one of us on the forums and are therefore wearing the black cowboy hats instead of the white ones. Everything you say is true and like you I want to see both companies continue with their success because it means more eyes on Mego type figures. I’d love to see Mego get passed the quality issues, stop reissuing DST products and start pumping my out more original high quality figures of exciting licences like Dracula and I think they can do it too. Standing up for FTC seems like I’m joining the NWO with Hogan, Hall and Nash. LOL but seriously enuf with the blind bashing all the time. It’s way passed old, especially if everyone else’s is sugar-coated.
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

While I believe there is always going to be a better impression if a company has a face, let's not get nuts with this divide. I've seen people say some incredibly malicious things to Paul to his virtual face over the years including telling him to kill himself because of a batman dolly he produced.

I agree that there is a vocal minority who assume FTC is some sort of money grubbing organization that doesn't care but they're merely projecting assumptions onto a vacuum (and it's totally wrong BTW, they're Mego lovers).
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Agreed. All we have right now are two companies making replicas of a 46 year old toy. Most figures that stood next to them during that same period do not exist today with new product to celebrate its existence. Lets appreciate the moment by ANYONE bold enough to enter this hobby. Live and let live.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I'm disturbed and disappointed at some of the comments made, but I'm trying to keep in mind that this can be a passionate subject and sometimes posts are made in anger. I've typed several comments myself in the last day and deleted them. Primarily because I want to believe in and contribute to a middle ground where both appreciation and concern can be expressed without this sense of partisanship, and also because I know well enough I can't really persuade set opinions.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• GoldBlade6
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Dec 30, 2007

I loved FTC for their Mad Monster re-releases, the retro-style packaging, the actual retro look. I wasn't a fan of all of their new head sculpts (e.g. Happy Days) and I didn't care about some of the properties they produced (e.g. Brady Bunch) and others that I don't believe deserve any attention at all (e.g. Married with Children), but FTC is much more expensive than what Mego currently offers. I would have stuck with FTC had they not raised their prices to essentially $30 per Mego. FTC now makes too many exclusives, too many variants, and they ask too much money for it all. They pushed me out of the game. It's just not worth the cost and the hassle for me. They also never really seem to have any kind of sales or discounts ever. The most you can hope for is a comic store sale where they happen to have a few of the less wanted FTC figures.

Mego is at least offering incredible value right now. Again, I think some of the properties they're producing are a waste (again, Married with Children, Charmed, etc.), but at least they're putting out variety at a value. They need to stop wasting everyone's time and not produce a character if they don't have the rights to the character's likeness, and they need to improve their head sculpts in general. If they do that, I'm not sure I would have any major complaints. I actually wish the 14" head sculpts were a bit less detailed. All of the male characters look kind of gaunt and old.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jun 29, 2018

I was buying ctvt ftc from the beginning. Yea some of the bodies were bad. Some of the older dr mego 7 th street bodies had issues. We worked around all of them. A mix of old and new parts is what we always did. Old mego had problems. Ftc has problems. .Mego 2.0 has problems. Issues. Work around it.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

My statement points to the irony of someone who works with Mego asking for consideration that it automatically gets, when the 10 to 15 years offered by FTC is looked upon with contempt.
                            Perhaps I could have been more eloquent with my statement. In my mind, I was saying "Look how far FTC has come after working with the same factory for so long." I made no mention of prices, distribution, etc. only that it takes time with a new factory.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• jayraytee
                              Career Member
                              • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by ubermanx
                              Brittle bodies? Are you talking about Bif Bang Pow figures that almost all of mine are broken somehow (especially hip pins)? Or are you talking about the 10 year old early lines at FTC? Or are you talking about all the ripped arm holes in some of my EMCE figures?

I'm not saying Mego, EMCE, or FTC is better or worse than any other but there is a serious anti-FTC bias around here. Especially from folks that might have bought those early FTC lines like the Space 1999, Happy Days, etc. revival crap bodies. I'm pretty sure if you look closely at ALL the products you can nit-pick issues everywhere.

~ Marty
                              No I never bought any of their old CTTV stuff except the knights and they were really, really, really bad. I am talking about their DC figures, I bought several waves and then bought some for my kids to play with. Once they were opened hands fell off, arms were pulled into sockets, knees broke, heads were wobbly, etc. The females were strung with the rubber "bands" that should of connected the two arms together strung between the legs and head which pulled the necks into the bodies and hunched them over like neanderthals. I even made a thread here about how to repair the the females. The giant head issues, bad sculpts and ill-fitting clothes were a whole other issue. They had all this going on then they upped their prices. Its not anti-FTC bias, I used to argue in defense of them until we opened figures and they raised their prices. And they kept repackaging the same figures over and over as exclusives. I started out buying everything and defending them, they turned me.

Fine tooth comb stuff would be criticisms like paint a little off, maybe paper sticker emblems instead of cloth, minor details that don't really matter except to a collector. But when $25 figures fall apart 5 minutes after opening them (Christmas for my kids) thats not fine tooth comb stuff. When other companies can do a better job and sell them for half the price... hmmm... thats not a fine tooth comb criticism.

As a kid I had tons and tons of the original megos and they held up to some pretty strong play for years, people sell figures that came out in 1974 and have yet to fall apart. Occasionally I would have a rubber band break, but not often, never had arms pulled into sockets, never had hands just fall off, never had the female necks pulled into the bodies, never wobbly heads, none of that.

My only complaints with EMCE was the price which they couldn't help, the Captain America Star (maybe fine tooth comb), and their 4 figures a year and 2 spidermans and 2 deadpools planned. But their bodies were good, the clothes fit, the heads were in scale.

The only complaint I have about the new Mego is maybe license choices, but they may have gotten what they could get. I never expected them to put out star wars on a wave 1, so that really doesn't bother me too much. Oh, and the Batman long neck, thats a complaint but that kind of thing comes with the territory. Its equal to the large head issue FTC had. The key is to see if they fix it, which I am sure Mego will.
                              Last edited by jayraytee; Sep 30, '18, 8:52 AM.
                              My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Mego already addressed the long neck issue and Superman appears to be better. FTC has had the same running problems for years and seem unable to correct them.
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎