Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

A thing of beauty

Courtesy of Facebook
  • generic
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 25, 2009

WOW!
    Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Very cool looking! I really love how the boxes look and since I am past the days of Buy One to Open, Buy One to Keep in the Box, I was tempted to keep these boxed, but they look so much better opened.

Can't wait to find Wave 2!

Addendum: After binging episodes of The Super Friends Season One, I have to say that the Mego Wonder Woman is a pretty good representation of the SF Wonder Woman.
        Last edited by TRDouble; Sep 26, '18, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• noelani72
          27inaleon
          • Jun 25, 2002

these are great.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Overall, I really like these 14 inch figures. They’re very nice.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Great looking set of figures, new mego did an excellent job on these. It may be just me, but I think Poison Ivy, looks a
              little like a cross between Ann Margret and Nicole Kidman.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

So neat seeing them all together!
                Who is going to be in wave 3?
                (I don't even have wave 2 yet, LOL!)

Comment

• toothaction
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                  Who is going to be in wave 3?
                  (I don't even have wave 2 yet, LOL!)
                  Reports are...

Classic Batman, Flash, Joker and Lex Luthor. Yup.
                  >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Honestly (what appears to be pinheads for the males, aside), I don't see the appeal of the 14 inch scale.

The curiosity in me about this is at its height with this thread. Up til now, I've actually considered starting a thread, but it seemed like an overtly bashing thread despite my sincere wanting to know how come these are such a hit.

I don't want this post to be perceived in a way that I'm complaining about their existence, other than that a part of me wishes they'd put their resources into another scale.

I really am enjoying the Marty/Doc/Mego resurgence and have many new Target Mego Corp 8 inch figures and will continue to eagerly buy the 8 inch figures, but I'd just like to know how Marty et al knew there'd be an audience for a scale two inches taller than what they've done in the past, and how he was RIGHT about that.... is it because people like the Mego style so much, and this pioneering scale is a fun way to enjoy it or is it more about such a large scale's rock-bottom affordability making these so appetizing to other collectors here?

To me, the 14 inchers are sizable space-eaters without the nostalgia of a familiar 8 or 12 inch scale NOR familiar face sculpts ala old-school Mego face sculpts----I'm patiently waiting for FTC's 12-inchers for THIS very reason. And I'll concede that if FTC wasn't making those, I'd never post something like this, while thinking "Geez, dd they HAVE to make them so big?" and, to a lesser extent, "Why couldn't they have included vintage style sculpted heads ala Zod as an option?"

For me, the plus side of this 14 inch part of the line is the classic era Mego style costumes (and they are indeed a thing of beauty to see lined up like that), but for me it ends there.

So, with all respect, I humbly ask you to indulge me with what's the real "hook" of these particular figures for you personally?
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Then why post something negative in a thread titled "A Thing of Beauty"? Why not START your own thread, and bash away there?

Anyhow, I love these. Yes, Wave 1 has it's problems (that wonderful Batman sculpt being maligned by the neck issue), but the rest are really nice to fantastic, such as Superman. I gotta get that GL pronto, and fill in the rest as well.

Great pics Steve!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

This is the line that has me most excited and I honestly believe it's going to become a highly collected series. I'm in for all 12 this year, take my money.

PS I saw the Flash outfit. True Story!
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

PS I saw the Flash outfit. True Story!
                          SQUEE!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by huedell
                            Honestly (what appears to be pinheads for the males, aside), I don't see the appeal of the 14 inch scale.

The curiosity in me about this is at its height with this thread. Up til now, I've actually considered starting a thread, but it seemed like an overtly bashing thread despite my sincere wanting to know how come these are such a hit.

I don't want this post to be perceived in a way that I'm complaining about their existence, other than that a part of me wishes they'd put their resources into another scale.

I really am enjoying the Marty/Doc/Mego resurgence and have many new Target Mego Corp 8 inch figures and will continue to eagerly buy the 8 inch figures, but I'd just like to know how Marty et al knew there'd be an audience for a scale two inches taller than what they've done in the past, and how he was RIGHT about that.... is it because people like the Mego style so much, and this pioneering scale is a fun way to enjoy it or is it more about such a large scale's rock-bottom affordability making these so appetizing to other collectors here?

To me, the 14 inchers are sizable space-eaters without the nostalgia of a familiar 8 or 12 inch scale NOR familiar face sculpts ala old-school Mego face sculpts----I'm patiently waiting for FTC's 12-inchers for THIS very reason. And I'll concede that if FTC wasn't making those, I'd never post something like this, while thinking "Geez, dd they HAVE to make them so big?" and, to a lesser extent, "Why couldn't they have included vintage style sculpted heads ala Zod as an option?"

For me, the plus side of this 14 inch part of the line is the classic era Mego style costumes (and they are indeed a thing of beauty to see lined up like that), but for me it ends there.

So, with all respect, I humbly ask you to indulge me with what's the real "hook" of these particular figures for you personally?
                            Here's how it went for me. Zod didn't do a lot for me honestly at first glance, and I'm not a huge Harley Quinn fan. But once I saw the Batman, I was sold. I bought all four as soon as I could get my hands on them, and once I got them out of the box I really liked them. The female body is great, and the male body's faults aren't something that bothers me that much. I like the look of the first three waves, and I'm excited for a new scale to dabble in - from a collecting and customizing standpoint. There are some things that I can do in 14" scale that I simply can't do nearly as well in 8".

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

I thought 14 inch seemed a bit random until Brian's unboxing video, where he reminded me of the other cool '70s figures that were in that scale. Outside of the folks on this board, 8 inch is a quirky, retro, and long-abandoned scale too...

So far I've only picked up a Wonder Woman, but she is a really nice figure. It really sold me on the line. They just have a ton of Mego charm, while still having the excitement of something new.

And to bring it back to the original topic of this thread... that pic really is a thing of beauty! And not just because I think I spy a brief reflection of Steve on the cello.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎