X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

RIP Norm Breyfogle...

This news makes me very sad. Loved his work on Prime in Malibu/Ultraverse. One of THE definitive artists for Batman/Detective for a large part of the 90's. 58 is too young. RIP Norm.

One of my favorite pieces in my collection that was definitely out of the Breyfogle wheelhouse....but is still stunning. One of my favorite characters done the right way...The Spectre:

• Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

wow, I had not heard. 58?? ***? RIP sir

Comment

• Mary Canary
      Career Member
      • Jun 21, 2017

Sad. He did some great work!

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

Very sad news : - (

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Sad news indeed...he was probably my favorite Batman artist.

He drew my favorite Batman cover of all time...it just spoke to me. Still does. It's like looking at Batman through the lens of a Hammer horror film.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Sad news. I knew he had had a debilitating stroke a few years back and never fully recovered, but this still feels sudden and unexpected. I loved his work of Batman of course, but also his (Married) Life with Archie stuff, his creator-owned Metaphysique and his early stuff in the 80s indy market with Whisper. He leaves behind quite a legacy of work.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I love that cover too Dwayne.

Very sorry to hear this. Breyfogle is one of the BEST Batman artists, and that's saying something when you're in with Neal Adams, Jim Aparo, Dick Sprang, Marshall Rogers, etc.

I actually owned an original Detective page by Breyfogle at one point. Bought it in college and I kept putting off framing it. Finally I just figured I didn't really know what to do with it and sold it. I instantly regretted doing so. And now I REALLY do.

RIP to one of the greats.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

Not to mention the designer of the last great batmobile we ever got to see in the comics.

Brefoglemobile.jpg

I agree, he defined a new and challenging look for Batman in his day, and I've been disappointed DC never brought him back on the book.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^He did do a run on Batman Beyond a few years ago. And there was that Retroactive Detective issue right before DC flushed everything with the New 52.
                  sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

^^ I missed that -- thanks for the heads-up!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

one of the great ones on Batman RIP.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jimbutsu
                        Memory *is* RAM!
                        • Apr 11, 2002

As much as these things are always sad, this one really hurts - I had the good fortune to meet him a handful of times over the span of almost 20 years, and whether it was teenage me or adult me, I walked away EVERY TIME impressed with the experience and how amazingly and genuinely *nice* Norm Breyfogle was. Just a really pleasant, gracious person who really appreciated and engaged with the people who enjoyed his work. One of my prized possessions is a commission I got from him at a show about 10 years ago, framed on the wall of my office.

Huge loss when he couldn't work anymore, but an even bigger loss because he was just such a good guy.
                        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by jimbutsu
                          As much as these things are always sad, this one really hurts - I had the good fortune to meet him a handful of times over the span of almost 20 years, and whether it was teenage me or adult me, I walked away EVERY TIME impressed with the experience and how amazingly and genuinely *nice* Norm Breyfogle was. Just a really pleasant, gracious person who really appreciated and engaged with the people who enjoyed his work. One of my prized possessions is a commission I got from him at a show about 10 years ago, framed on the wall of my office.

Huge loss when he couldn't work anymore, but an even bigger loss because he was just such a good guy.
                          There are so many GOOD guys in the industry and it really does SUCK when one passes never really fully realizing how great they were both as a person and as a story teller. If you could take a pic of that commission and post it I'd love to see it. I never had the good fortune of meeting Norm...but I was a huge fan of his work. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• jimbutsu
                            Memory *is* RAM!
                            • Apr 11, 2002

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                            There are so many GOOD guys in the industry and it really does SUCK when one passes never really fully realizing how great they were both as a person and as a story teller. If you could take a pic of that commission and post it I'd love to see it. I never had the good fortune of meeting Norm...but I was a huge fan of his work. Thanks for sharing.
                            I haven't forgotten about you - was out of town for a while and then buried under catch-up... I'll get something posted soon.
                            "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• jimbutsu
                              Memory *is* RAM!
                              • Apr 11, 2002

All right - took a bit and I still can't get it to photograph well, but here we go...
                              breyfogle.jpg

- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎