X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    It's fun in concept, but the execution really muddies the water.
    I think it rubs some people the wrong way because we are in this era of "alternate facts." I'm really not in the mood for a hoax. I like the concept and the MOTU style. But don't try to tell me a modern widescreen animation clip with characters from the 90s is an unreleased cartoon from the 80s.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
      DC worked with Mattel in the early days of MOTU. DC produced the MOTU mini series as well as the second wave mini comics. Had DC tried to develop a MOTU like DC toys and comics based around the MOTU aesthetic, while working for Mattel, Mattel would have sued them into the ground.
      Yeah, I'm not doubting that but it's still possible the concept was pitched and shot down. DC was working with Remco on some of their "B-List" titles making MOTU knockoffs, so it's plausible I guess.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
        Yeah, I'm not doubting that but it's still possible the concept was pitched and shot down. DC was working with Remco on some of their "B-List" titles making MOTU knockoffs, so it's plausible I guess.
        Remco licensed DC properties after MOTU had been successful and developed their own knock off line. Different from DC who had worked with Mattel and was privy to a lot of development info trying to copy MOTU into their own DC line. There would have been a very strong argument against DC for infringement.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I forgot to mention Mattel did sue Remco for their knock off lines. But the judge ultimately ruled that the "superhuman musclemen crouching pose" was not copyrightable. Still not the same as a DC who had worked with Mattel on MOTU copying and pasting that property's design and setting for their own use in a fantasy DC superhero line. At the time Mattel was VERY protective of MOTU and they would sued the hell out of DC.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Remco licensed DC properties after MOTU had been successful and developed their own knock off line. Different from DC who had worked with Mattel and was privy to a lot of development info trying to copy MOTU into their own DC line. There would have been a very strong argument against DC for infringement.
            You know we're actually agreeing, I'm saying it's not impossible that the idea was floated by Wolfman and it got shot down for your reasons. That's all and I know Mattel sued Remco which would have totally derailed them taking any further action with the idea itself.

I'm not postulating they did elaborate character designs, sculpts or animated anything. All of that is made up to me.

Those discussions with Remco would have happened in 1982. While most of this is obvious fiction, that one part could have one foot on the truth. Otherwise, why name Marv Wolfman specifically?

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              . Otherwise, why name Marv Wolfman specifically?
              Trying to give the hoax more credibility? I did see a photo of Wolfman that was supposed to prove this but the pic had been photoshopped to include the modern Funko designs.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Oct 3, '18, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

This is just a bad idea all around.

It could have been done as a fun thing, maybe one video where Pixel Dan reveals this "discovery" of an old toy line, an unaired commercial, etc, before revealing at the end that this is a new Funko line.

Doing stuff like editing a Wiki and dragging it out over the course of a couple weeks and photoshopping things and tying it to real people and events and stuff, is just a terrible PR stunt. But again, not entirely surprised from people who have proven in the past to not really be honest in what they're doing. But the people doing these sorts of PR stunts, should like, take some actual PR classes so they would know what a poor idea stuff like this is.

The saddest part is, it's Funko, so there's a chance this line will end up not releasing half this stuff anyway, lol, and then this really will be a lost line.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Trying to give the hoax more credibility? I did see a photo of Wolfman that was supposed to prove this but the pic had been photoshopped to include the modern Funko designs.
                  Well if that's the case, it's a drag.

I would at least hope it was like this:

That little sketch is apparently how far Mego got with Scooby Doo, they kicked it around but the idea didn't take shape. It would be neat if this line has the same sort of pattern i guess.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 21, 2017

Ooof! That's amazing! The Scooby Doo scrap of evidence, I mean. Not the Funko Pixel Dan thing. The FB video does show the alleged "lost designs" of Batman, Joker, and WW. Although she is very much drawn like the current gladiator style, which I doubt they would have done back in the 1980s.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, if this WHOLE thing is a hoax, then they succeeded in getting us talking, for sure. BUT, there IS such a thing as bad publicity when it comes to asking for people's money. With a never-ending flow of DC product from innumerable companies, it's easy to just write this one off if it rubs you too wrong.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        BUT, there IS such a thing as bad publicity when it comes to asking for people's money.
                        I've gone from "That's pretty I cool, I'm going to pick those up." to "Nope, I'll stick to the Thundercats."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I've gone from "That's pretty I cool, I'm going to pick those up." to "Nope, I'll stick to the Thundercats."
                          ^THIS. And you're quite a MOTU fan. This type of stuff often backfires.

I work in marketing, and there are often folks outside our dept. that have these wild-arse ideas on new ways to reach our audience, that could be seen as sensationalized or exploitative. Its easy to fall into, but it often causes ill will if you go too far with it. Most folks can smell BS from a mile away.

Chris

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

I'm probably still going to buy them, but I'm a 5.5 nut and I think these have translated in an interesting way. But I find it annoying that they won't just announce the details on the figures and instead we're spending days with Geraldo looking into the mysteries of Al Capone's vault! Just get on with it. We know its BS.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

When Dan split Mattel, I wondered how he was going to survive. By how hard he's schilling in this vid, I think he's wondering the same thing.

For all the work, this is really blah.

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

It was a complete hoax!? Marv Wolfman really didn't come up with this in the 80s!? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! Well, not that shocked.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎