X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    When it comes down to it, I guess I prefer an upbeat toy blogger who may be a shill over some jaded cynic who thinks he's Hunter S. Thompson.
    I always got he was a paid shill but I still enjoyed his reviews for his upbeat persona over all the "angry video game nerd" types out there red faced screaming over every tiny paint flaw. Heck, I've seen Transformers reviewers take a hammer to a toy from a subline clearly aimed at younger kids. But still give your audience and intended market some credit and this obviously goes to Funko and WB too. I rolled my eyes at the first vid but with the new one with the "found" cartoon clip from 1982 with characters from the 90s and in widescreen, come on. This would have been a lot more fun and effective marketing if they had done it as a what if instead of a hoax.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I'm not intimating that the discussion here is toxic or that we have to like this, it got old immediately. I've just been privy to some of the reaction he's gotten and some of it is ....yeah.

Toy reviewers smashing toys should probably go ahead and smash their iphones, I mean, unless it's a shtick, it's what my wife would call "Gros Bébé".
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I'm not intimating that the discussion here is toxic or that we have to like this, it got old immediately. I've just been privy to some of the reaction he's gotten and some of it is ....yeah.
        There's definitely some deserved criticism to go around (Funko, WB, and Pixel Dan) on this escapade. Certainly on transparency. But any kind of actual threats, that's not right.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

It wasn't a threat but there seems to be an anger that honestly, shouldn't be there. Fandom is weird these days.

yeah, it's a little dumb but it's totally harmless.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I agree it's not worth getting nasty about. Nothing involving toys is, honestly. I'm sure the series of videos was all done at once, and he's releasing them as planned...but the news is already out and the "joke" wasn't taken well from the get-go.

As for being a shill, well, I can see that too. Despite this, I do enjoy his positive take, because yeah, there are some toy/media reviewers out there who are so toxic and angry I can't imagine they like anything enough to even bother wasting time talking about it.

I enjoy Toy Galaxy, but I tend to skip the "let's look at all the free swag people send me every week" videos they usually do on Sunday. The rest I really enjoy.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Mary Canary
              Career Member
              • Jun 21, 2017

According to a video on DC's FB, Marv Wolfman proposed this line in the 70s or 80s. Seems odd it's never been mentioned before now though. At least not that I know of.

Comment

• toothaction
                Career Member
                • Jul 15, 2017

And then there's that wikia link from the footage video...

10 to 1 that entry wasn't there a week ago!
                >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

They are carrying this way too far.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^This is like that campaign Marvel did to launch "The Sentry" as a lost character, originally developed during the 60s but shelved.

I wonder if the DC Wiki is in on it...or do they actually believe it?

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• kerowack
                      Career Member
                      • Feb 27, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      I agree it's not worth getting nasty about. Nothing involving toys is, honestly. I'm sure the series of videos was all done at once, and he's releasing them as planned...but the news is already out and the "joke" wasn't taken well from the get-go.

As for being a shill, well, I can see that too. Despite this, I do enjoy his positive take, because yeah, there are some toy/media reviewers out there who are so toxic and angry I can't imagine they like anything enough to even bother wasting time talking about it.

I enjoy Toy Galaxy, but I tend to skip the "let's look at all the free swag people send me every week" videos they usually do on Sunday. The rest I really enjoy.

Chris
                      Agreed on all points. ESPECIALLY those toy galaxy videos. when he gets stuff I get the feeling he is two seconds away from throwing it in a garbage bag and heading to savers.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

I can't believe people are irked by a retcon campaign. I don't care for the toy line itself, but the approach is sublime. It's truly creative, not just another retread.

I'm going to stop before a rant kicks in.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                          According to a video on DC's FB, Marv Wolfman proposed this line in the 70s or 80s. Seems odd it's never been mentioned before now though. At least not that I know of.
                          If that is true, that is actually quite interesting.

Comment

• kerowack
                            Career Member
                            • Feb 27, 2008

Originally posted by hedrap
                            I can't believe people are irked by a retcon campaign. I don't care for the toy line itself, but the approach is sublime. It's truly creative, not just another retread.

I'm going to stop before a rant kicks in.
                            Yeah, it's not the worst idea in the world, but it definitely wasn't aimed at me. Pixel Dan's channel has younger viewers, so hopefully they enjoyed the angle. It was pretty apparent by the INSANELY bad acting and "clues" that it wasn't ever a REAL retro line. I can't believe how angry people get over this stuff though. Especially with Pixel Dan...he's like the chuck e. cheese of toy channels. Calm down.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

So, now I'M confused. Was this actually something Wolfman really pitched back in the 80s, or is this whole thing made up NOW and being presented as a retcon/hoax?

I know Mattel initially developed what eventually became Marvel's Secret Wars line FOR DC, but DC took Kenner's Super Powers pitch instead (smart move). And obviously DC was involved with MOTU, producing the mini-comics for a time and publishing MOTU comics under the DC banner, even teaming them with Superman in DC Comics Presents. And Remco was making the DC Warlord line in MOTU style at the time as well.

That's why stuff like this kind of irks me. It's hard to figure out if there's any true validity to this when you come out with an obvious hoax element. It's fun in concept, but the execution really muddies the water.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

If that is true, that is actually quite interesting.
                                DC worked with Mattel in the early days of MOTU. DC produced the MOTU mini series as well as the second wave mini comics. Had DC tried to develop a MOTU like DC toys and comics based around the MOTU aesthetic, while working for Mattel, Mattel would have sued them into the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎